Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oggy Red - where are you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I like Marseille Oggy, spent a couple of weeks working there and roundabout in 2000. Felt like I was in a Souk sometimes. Make the wrong turning and it feels like your in an Ancient Rome prostitute promenade, only they're dressed in second rate Primark. Mind you I made sure I didn't make the wrong turning late at night.

Culturally they seemed to be most proud of Serge Blanco's rugby shop. Piss taking aside it's an amazing natural port, and when the tall ships come in looming over the town it's asthetically stunning. Plus I loved walking round there and finding which was to me hidden squares with no tourists. Fond memories of a real working city.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]Nice to have you back & in one piece Oggy x. I've only just got back too.

Thanks, Sam!

Apart from Leeds to watch our Lloydie, where have you been then - anywhere exciting?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I like Marseille Oggy, spent a couple of weeks working there and roundabout in 2000. Felt like I was in a Souk sometimes. Make the wrong turning and it feels like your an Ancient Rome prostitute promenade, only they're dressed in second rate Primark. Mind you I made sure I didn't make the wrong turning late at night.

Culturally they seemed to be most proud of Serge Blanco's rugby shop. Piss taking aside it's an amazing natural port, and when the tall ships come in looming over the town it's asthetically stunning. Plus I loved walking round there and finding which was to me hidden squares with no tourists. Found memories of a real working city.

Whereabouts in Marseille were you based, Colin?

Everybody there is crazy about Olympique Marseille (don't mention Chelsea!)
    L'OM even had a 'sports boutique' in La Canebiere, near the Vieux Port........ €60 for a shirt!
    Made Charlton's shirts seem cheap.

You'll have to let me know where are the hidden squares with no tourists.
    As you're a proper Addick, I've got to tell you all the old pre-war trams have now been replaced with souless smoked glass aluminium tubes.

March 51 will be devastated.

;o)
  • Options
    Bonjour Monsieur Oggy,glad you got back in one piece, can't wait for 'French Connection 3: L'Oggy Strikes Back' to come out! I'm afraid the tram and train spotting clique took a bit of a hammering last week so I'm keeping a low prfile at the moment. Good to have you back, hope things were O.K workwise.
  • Options
    Oggy I was in Aubagne for about a week with regualr visits into Marseille. Then I stayed in the usual shitty Chambres d’hotes near Gare de Marseille-Saint-Charles for about a week. That bit was more to explore the city and more of a holiday.

I hope to go back, but as I'm a cyclist the priority is to get to Nice and do the Madone early spring- season sometime.

As for telling you were these squares were, no chance! My memories shot to pieces at the best of times, for a week I just wondered aimlessly away from the touristy areas. Loved trying to walk to Notre-Dame de la Garde, eventually getting there through many failed routes. There was one square I went back to a lot with a couple of great local cafes, very few non-locals and a wicked little Film Poster shop. The Guy who had the film poster shop was super nice and helpful. I remember he had an original Le Samourai poster for about 70-80 Euros, which I could have afforded but didn't have the space. The poster was a half-sized black and white silouhette, dis-similar to virtually all of the Non-french ones I'd seen. Always regretted not buying it..... should probably look on French eBay. Anyways loved Marseille, though didn't always feel safe!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Anyways loved Marseille, though didn't always feel safe!

Yep, you've summed it up well, Colin!

Loved your story of meandering through little traditional backwater districts, shops and cafes.

That was the sort of area where we lodged, with big morning market 5 mins walk away. I've got to say, I quite like the French lifestyle - soon learned that I had to kiss on both cheeks each and every female I was introduced to. I'm sure I could get really proficient with a little practice!

Part of me is still there; made friends with some really wonderful, generous warm hearted French people.
    And I've no doubt I'll find a way to go back soon.
  • Options
    Mate of mine was stabbed there about 10 years and was fighting for his life in hospital for over a week. I hope I never have any cause to go there as it sounds pretty gruesome.
  • Options
    Glad to have you back Oggy and that you were unhurt. Hopefully that will be your only bad luck for the rest of the year and the Addicks will now go on a massive unbeaten run. Have missed your optimism its infectious.
  • Options
    Lovely words, Red Fraggle - thanks!
  • Options
    Well, where is he? Or have I missed something (again)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back in Marseille (?spelling) I believe...
  • Options
    Thanks Len. Hope he stays out of trouble this time!