Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good managers and bad managers

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Out of interest, who is currently perceived to be a good managers, and have they ever been seen as a bad manager, or who currently is seen as a bad manager, and have they previously been seen as a good manager ?

Bottom, or near the bottom of their leagues at the moment are:

David Moyes
Roberto Martinez
Roy Hodgson
Darren Ferguson
Paulo Sousa
Steve Cotterill
John Still
Andy Scott

All in the past have been thought of at various stages and levels as decent managers or with strong potential

Or in the flip side, the vast majority of people seem to think Roy Keane is a terrible manager, and should have been binned by Ipswich at some stage last season, yet they are now 4th in the league.

Comments

• Options
    Said it before I think a lot of it is down to the chemistry a manager has and the circumstances at the club at the time rather than just being simply an amazing manager. Eg George Graham good at Millwall and Arsenal, not so hot at Spurs. Dalglish top man at Liverpool and Blackpool but not so hot at Newcastle.

Aside from your Wengers, Redknapps, Cloughs and Fergies who seem to be consistently successful to a degree I think a lot more is to do with the chemistry rather than the individual. No one would question the credentials of Capello but we were tosh in the siummer.

Therefore it is difficult to ascertain who will be right for a certain club in a certain situation at but it is perhaps more simple to identify when it is not right.
  • Options
    David Moyes = Good manger worked wonders at Everton keeping them in the Prem and punching way above their weight

Roberto Martinez = Good manager considering the size of wigan i cant help but feel that if he keeps them in the prem he has done a top job

Roy Hodgson = Jury out cack at blackburn 1 good season at Fulham where he should have stayed in my opinion as Liverpool are in big trouble off the field.

Darren Ferguson= never like him and i dont rate him poor manager

Paulo Sousa= not for me bad manager

Steve Cotterill=not for me bad manager

John Still= excellent manager at a club that is punching well above the weight it should be with a very small fan base

Andy Scott= Not for me this one either bad manager
  • Options
    I think Moyes and Still are the only ones who are unquestionably good managers, and it's no coincidence that they're also the only ones on that list who have spent sustained periods at one club.

Wouldn't class any of them as bad managers but you can't, for example, class Sousa as a good manager after one decent season at Swansea and nor can you class him as a bad manager because Leicester have started poorly under his stewardship.
  • Options
    John Still also got Maidstone and Dartford to the top of the non-league pyramid before his success with Dagenham. He could have managed Maidstone in the football league but chose not to and Sir Keith took over
  • Options
    Obviously the season has just started etc, but as I've got nothing better to do other than some work;

David Moyes - Great at PNE & Everton, deserves a shot in the champions league.
    Roberto Martinez - One club man? He's doing poor at Wigan compared to his predecessors, the only decent signing he's made is Victor Mosses.
    Roy Hodgson - I'm confident the team will pick up and end up with a Europa league spot.
    Darren Ferguson - One club man?
    Paulo Sousa - Changes clubs too often, hasn't really achieved anything.
    Steve Cotterill - Very tough job and his team scored 6 on Friday, highly rated by FOD!
    John Still - Great manager, but lets see how well he does in this league, I can see the Dagger staying up.
    Andy Scott - Only been in management for a few seasons, so far so good.
  • Options
    I think you need to add "at their level".

John Stills, for example, good manager and has taken D&R a long way. Wouid he cut it at an established Championship side, who can say.
  • Options
    What about coaches .... or coaching the team, as in tactical nouse?
  • Options
    David Moyes - good manager, performed well for years
    Roberto Martinez - doing a good job but it's his only club so far isn't it?
    Roy Hodgson - obviously a decent manager, just needs some time
    Darren Ferguson - don't really rate him
    Paulo Sousa - what has he achieved?
    Steve Cotterill - decent manager, think Pompey will pull away from the bottom. Did well to sign Kitson and Lawrence on deadline day.
    John Still - good manager to have got D&R where they are, but i think they'll still go down. They're an awful side.
    Andy Scott - not sure what he's achieved either.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    At times like this I wished I'd bookmarked the thread a couple of years ago where I suggested Eddie Howe as a Charlton type manager and someone we should have been interested in. Despite his obvious talent and performing under finacial and transfer contraints I got the usual, "...but can he manage in Div 3?" type replies.

We'll apart from the first 45 minutes of the season, from which he seems to have learned a very quick lesson and sorted his team out BTW, the answer seems to be "Yes he can"...

On the good manager now rubbish front I'll through in basically anyone appointed by Newcastle in the last 10 years.
  • Options
    Newcastle is a good call at bad management appointments. Why did Freddie Shepherd replace Sir Bobby with Souness?

Since Sir Bobby theyve had:

Graeme Souness
    Glenn Roeder
    Sam Allardyce (good manager, wrong appointment)
    Kevin "no balls" keegan
    Alan Shearer & Dowie Management team
    Chris Hughton (done a good job imho)