Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Racon / Semedo - corners

2»

Comments

• Options
    I really think we would have been fighting relegation last season and this without Semedo. Hes as good an enforcer as any at this level. What good is it having an attacking midfield duo who 'can play' if we never win/keep possession in midfield in the first place ffs....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]I cant understand the slagging of Semedo on here. Without Semedo we would be far worse! Most Midfields have a holding player nowdays, the evolution of football has determined this to need to be the case. There arent many all round, box to box, midfielders anymore. Especially at this level. You get the sluggers, and the attacking midfielders.

Alot of Semedo's work goes unnoticed because it isnt pretty football

I think Racon is more of the problem than Semedo. Semedo got forward much better than normal on Tuesday night. Racon needs to come and collect the ball from our centre backs and offer an option to Semedo when he doesn't know what to do. His tackling is improving, but his off the ball skills need more work. I might be expecting too much. Bailey was a good League 1 midfielder but had his weaknesses as well.

You have to evaluate who is actually better to accompany Semedo though out of Racon, McCormack and Jackson. McCormack seems like a straight swap for Semedo, a defensive midfielder. That leaves Racon and Jackson for who plays in that creator role. Some may say Racon, some will say Jackson. Racon i think definately has the ability, he is just too inconsistent.

With Injuries, Suspensions and drops in form i doubt we will see a consistent midfield 2 anyway. I imagine we will play Semedo when possible and the partner will rotate between the others

Agree. Central midfield partnership is just as important as the central defensive partnership. Jackson would be my preferred partner for Semedo, but understand that he has to be used elsewhere at the moment because of lack of cover down the left hand side.

I think Racon works best in a 4-5-1. His weaknesses were covered up in that system at the beginning of last season (as were Bailey's and Semedo's).

Parky certainly has more options this season than he did last, which can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Bailey would cost us a goal very often but then he'd have a hand in one or get one to make up for it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Se12Addick[/cite]I really think we would have been fighting relegation last season and this without Semedo. Hes as good an enforcer as any at this level. What good is it having an attacking midfield duo who 'can play' if we never win/keep possession in midfield in the first place ffs....

I'm not slagging Semedo. I like him - he's committed, strong and does a job. Away from home, hima nd racon is good enough. At home, him and martin might be worth a try becuase none of the others when partnered with semedo is creative enough. Neither him or Racon really want the ball to feet in tight areas and neither of them really go looking for give and go's, one two's etc when we have it and it opens up a bit. At home i think you have to sacrifice some of the ball winning for some creativity and i don't see Jackson as the solution to that. We have no real attacking / creative central midfielders and only 1 pacy striker. Not what i'd call a balanced squad (ffs) but i will, as on Tuesday night, get behind the team.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]point i'm making is Racon and Semedo aren't considered as attacking forces - not definitive because they sit back at corners, just something i noticed but think it says a lot.[/quote]
    Semedo's not meant to be so I don't see the problem there. We've often left defensive midfielders back on corners.

Racon I agree he's not an attacking force, always said he's not the playmaker some suggest he is. Skillful, good touch and all that, but rarely sets up or scores a goal (unless he's playing Dagenham it seems).[/quote]

When we first signed Racon he was hailed as a defensive midfielder, The problem is so are Semedo and McCormack.

Maybe when Reid is fit, Jackson will play alongside Semedo to give us a bit of creativity but when our centre midfield is made up with 2 defensivee midfielders, it is hardly suprising that we don't create many chances.