Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Watford's attendance tonight.

The Premiership experience seems to be rubbing off fairly quickly at Vicarage Road.

Comments

• Options
    Watford bloody won, though. Sort it out Mr Hughes!
  • Options
    Obvisioult still attending the floodlight allotments,ha ha.
  • Options
    not just them...i was looking at the weekend's attendances and thinking we must be one of the best supported clubs in the premiership outside the top 4...anybody got an uptodate list of average attendances for this season ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]not just them...i was looking at the weekend's attendances and thinking we must be one of the best supported clubs in the premiership outside the top 4...anybody got an uptodate list of average attendances for this season ?

Are you joking?
    Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, West ham, Man City and possibly Sheff utd will all have higher averages than us
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well.....apart from them we are one of the best supported clubs in the premiership outside the top 4 ;o)
  • Options
    I would say apart from Wigan Watford fulham and pompey and that is due to the size of their grounds we are in the bottom 5,however if our ground like the first 4 i mentioned was bigger i am sure we would get bigger attendances as would they when playing the bigger teams anyway
  • Options
    1 Man Utd 909,189 75,765
    2 Arsenal 720,425 60,035
    3 Newcastle 601,648 50,137
    4 Liverpool 522,272 43,522
    5 Chelsea 501,189 41,765
    6 Man City 466,568 38,880
    7 Everton 442,223 36,851
    8 Tottenham 427,582 35,631
    9 Aston Villa 421,727 35,143
    10 West Ham 415,814 34,651
    11 Sheff Utd 360,566 30,047
    12 Middlesbrough 332,995 27,749
    13 Charlton 310,237 25,853
    14 Reading 286,989 23,915
    15 Bolton 280,217 23,351
    16 Blackburn 259,453 21,621
    17 Fulham 256,512 21,376
    18 Portsmouth 217,657 19,787
    19 Watford 204,376 18,579
    20 Wigan 211,700 17,641
  • Options
    Hope that is where we finish in the league this season
  • Options
    ...Yeah but no but yeah but no but we have more season ticket holders than them and we use to have one of the biggest grounds in the country and Paddy Powell is our groundsman and he use to play for Charlton in the old days and he knew Theo Foley who was an Irish man.
  • Options
    Reading and Pompey would both be above us if their grounds were bigger. Ours would improve slightly if we had a 30k stadium but we wouldn't sell out every week as we don't always now with 27k. I'd say 15th on that table would be a fair reflection of our support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some of the away supports at the weekend were shit, blackburn at Man citeh, they only had around 1000, and its on just round the corner! There are a lot worse supported teams than us, we are just easy targets.
  • Options
    i reckon we would get more floating supporters with a bigger ground.ours are deterred by the difficulty of getting tickets and just don't bother.
  • Options
    1000 at spurs was not good
  • Options
    Anyone have a similar table for ticket revenue ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Anyone have a similar table for ticket revenue ?

here you go geez
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite] ?

here you go geez[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_40110 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]5-Foot Farm Table.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

how can that be a 5ft farm table if its only got 4 legs ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]not just them...i was looking at the weekend's attendances and thinking we must be one of the best supported clubs in the premiership outside the top 4...anybody got an uptodate list of average attendances for this season ?

Are you joking?
    Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, West ham, Man City and possibly Sheff utd will all have higher averages than us

The figure to look at isn't ave. attendance but the ave % of capacity throughout the season. We always finish in the high 90s on this score, a lot higher than the 13th in AFKA's list.

I wish it pointed to an increased fanbase, sadly it simply confirms we've a good catchment area for those who can't get STs at 'their own club'.
  • Options
    Gotta be careful with this one, I know loads of people who are not Charlton fans but go to the odd game cos it's £5 on Valley Express plus £20 for a ticket for Premier League football. These fans all support other clubs like Arsenal & Tottenham but cannot go to their games due to being unable to afford or obtain tickets for their own clubs. Think we have a huge amount of Non Cafc fans in our attendances.
  • Options
    If we go down we'll find out. I'd put our hardcore fan base at around 15-16k season ticket holders next year if we're in the championship. With say 4-5k buying on a matchday next year if we're up the top of the league
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Gotta be careful with this one, I know loads of people who are not Charlton fans but go to the odd game cos it's £5 on Valley Express plus £20 for a ticket for Premier League football. These fans all support other clubs like Arsenal & Tottenham but cannot go to their games due to being unable to afford or obtain tickets for their own clubs. Think we have a huge amount of Non Cafc fans in our attendances.

To be fair to CAFC I think that is true of most prem clubs that do not regularly sell out, it's the floating fan taking advantage of tickets actually being available.
    The most graphic example of this was Wimbledon, when they fell out of the Premier League 65% of there season ticket holders did not return as these were mainly held by companies using Wimbledon as a cheap way of taking clients to see all the big teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ketman/Chris I know season-ticket holders who are not Charlton fans! I reckon the real Charlton support could be as low as 18-19,000 - so on a 27,000 sell-out 3,000 are away fans and 5,500 are walk-ins or SE Londoners who want to watch premier league football...

The only way to change this is to grow it year by year (Valley Express) play more attractive football (this year every game has been good) or find an investor who will help us win a cup - I recall this was the subjest of several threads last year
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]To be fair to CAFC I think that is true of most prem clubs that do not regularly sell out, it's the floating fan taking advantage of tickets actually being available.

And some who do sell out. Listening to the Arse v Manure game on Sunday they reckoned the corporate seats filled up much quicker after half time than usual at the Emirates, cos it was Man U. I also heard that as many as 10,000 might be matchday tickets at the Emirates.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite] The most graphic example of this was Wimbledon, when they fell out of the Premier League 65% of there season ticket holders did not return as these were mainly held by companies using Wimbledon as a cheap way of taking clients to see all the big teams.

i think you'll find that playing at sellout might have contributed a little to that and i seem to recall the same problem happened to another football club that once had to share that ground...playing there meant there was little chance of building up a fanbase and little incentive to floating and away fans to make the trek to what is not the easiest place to get to or from...not that plough lane could ever have accomodated more fans but had wimbledon stayed there they would have least been able to build up a reasonable hard core fanbase to see them through...we can see evidence of this by the support AFC Wimbledon get and they aren't even in the borough still...
  • Options
    Dont forget as time goes on our support number s will grow, as when we were at Selhurst and Upton we lost a lot of fans to other clubs the ' lost generation' now with all the births and just the way of the world fans can take there sons and daughters to the valley as opposed to driving all over london to show then a game......