Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robbie Savage , what a shame

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/6293089.stm

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2007
    there's no pleasure to be had from that happening to any player...savage is a hard player and committed tackler, something we would like to see a lot more of in our team...and talking of committed tackling, as a kid, my dad always told me to go into a tackle, not hold back or you'll get hurt and later on it always amazed me that even tackles i had no right to win i would win because i wanted and expected the ball...and if you've got a son who plays football, teach him that one thing if nothing else...

except, to try practising kicking the ball with either foot...it aint difficult...and in today's game, it'll be worth £200 grand a week...
  • Options
    What you forgot to tell your kid though is that when you do go in hard so you don't get hurt, you still will get hurt a lot of the time & that's a fact. Having said that, it is the only way to play football, if you are afraid of a tackle then don't play full stop.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]What you forgot to tell your kid though is that when you do go in hard so you don't get hurt, you still will get hurt a lot of the time & that's a fact. Having said that, it is the only way to play football, if you are afraid of a tackle then don't play full stop.

if you get hurt its because you aren't committed to the tackle or you are thinking about hurting the other player instead of thinking you're going to win the ball...& that's a 'fact'...
  • Options
    Hurting another player... ouch sorry not me I'm afraid. Far better to destroy the centre forward mentally via verbals than by cutting him in half, just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    Bad tackle - bang out of order no one deserves that
  • Options
    Bad taclke,thought he took it well to be honest
  • Options
    he did Tav - hats off to him.
  • Options
    Yea i'm proper gutted for the poor fella :-)
  • Options
    I'm with the majority here- Savage maybe a player you love to hate when he plays against you, but most prem fans (maybe out of the top four) would love him if he was in your side.

And any player breaking a leg isn't nice, and sorry, but shouldn't be gloated over- just an opinion tho!
  • Options
    I wish him a speedy recovery - would love to have him in our team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MCSMCS
    edited January 2007
    dont wish a broken leg on anyone doods, apart from Muscatt, and he is the only exception
  • Options
    Yeah, agree with most here, I don't like Savage but he is not a filthy b'stard like Muscat, Vinnie Jones or Hurlock who would hurt people for the sake of it and he certainly did not deserve that sort of challenge, it was nasty.
  • Options
    I'm going to disagree with the majority. He's a detestable character and I wouldn't want to see him in a Charlton shirt, ever.

I haven't seen the tackle but I'm sure it's no worse than what he has done to others. What goes around comes around.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]What goes around comes around.

have we got good insurance on ben thatcher?
  • Options
    Im kind of with you Barn Door and not seen the tackle. Although i would never want to see anyone injured im finding it hard to feel too much sympathy for the smarmy blond one.
  • Options
    Thank **** we won on the weekend!!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]I'm going to disagree with the majority. He's a detestable character and I wouldn't want to see him in a Charlton shirt, ever.

I haven't seen the tackle but I'm sure it's no worse than what he has done to others. What goes around comes around.[/quote]

Completely agree. And that doesn't even get started on his cruddy behaviour towards the teams he's played for (Birmingham I'm thinking specifically), simulation and attempts to get other people sent off. In the words of Basil Faulty, I hope it's nothing trivial.
  • Options
    Still remember his dive over Chris Powell to win a penalty for Birmingham in front of the covered end in their 0-2 win that day. Joke of a penalty won by that cheating tosseur. Not my favourite player by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    but like thatcher if he was too get signed by us, then in a red shirt he'd get the same support as any other player in the team. i'd love to have a player that all other teams hate. it usually means that they play hard and score important goals or get penalties. wish he'd scored last noght and took some points off watford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Thank **** we won on the weekend!!!

Its true wed be at the bottom of a bottle of scotch if wed lost and then they won....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd have Savage in my team all day long. He's not a bad player and covers more ground than any of ours. " One Robbie Savage" "There's only one Robbie Savage"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsy's Up[/cite]I'd have Savage in my team all day long. He's not a bad player and covers more ground than any of ours. " One Robbie Savage" "There's only one Robbie Savage"

agreed, i watched a programme on him, and he aint as bad as say craig bellamy
  • Options
    Thing is 04 if we get relegated with 11 Robbie Savages in the team no one would grumble because you know that after 90 mins they had given their all for the CAFC cause. Bit like the old days really. It's people's perception of the celebrity they see on the telly and don't like him cause he's not your flair type player, and the bad press he gets cause of the type of player he is aggresive and hard. He'd be great for us even with 1 leg LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsy's Up[/cite]Thing is 04 if we get relegated with 11 Robbie Savages in the team no one would grumble because you know that after 90 mins they had given their all for the CAFC cause. Bit like the old days really. It's people's perception of the celebrity they see on the telly and don't like him cause he's not your flair type player, and the bad press he gets cause of the type of player he is aggresive and hard. He'd be great for us even with 1 leg LOL

agaain, agreed.
  • Options
    This is the bloke who fronted up to Souness and demanded "what have you ever won"? And then ran off when Souey started growling at him. He also once got taken into hospital with suspected concussion when the physio asked him who the prime-minister was and he didn't know. Turned out our hero was actually fine and dandy, he just didn't know. So basically he's dirty, thick, a cheat and a coward. Admit he's an effective player, but some views on here see, to be suggesting he's a cross between Gattuso and Pele. He's not, he's more like the bloke out of the Towers of London. Only less likeable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Yeah, agree with most here, I don't like Savage but he is not a filthy b'stard like Muscat, Vinnie Jones or Hurlock

add michael brown to that list. that 'tackle' on giggs deserves a shin snapping retribution.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kish is as effective as Savage and covers as much as if not more ground.

He hasn't got the "sexy" media profile though because firstly he just quietly goes about his work and secondly he hasn't got long flowing blond locks. We also tend to think he's not as good because we don't see Savage's mistakes but we do see Kish's.
  • Options
    We should remember (fondly) Robbie Savage.

If he hadn'r run across Brad Friedel in the home match vs Blackburn and obscured Friedel's view of Borat's free-kick I doubt it would have gone in. Just as if he'd stood and marked the post as he should have done he'd have had an easy interception...

Without which we'd be two points worse off and Les Reed would never have had a Premiership victory as a manager to remember.
  • Options
    Now he's broken his leg shouldn't we sign him - bound to play again this decade!
  • Options
    I'd have him in our team ahead of any of our centre midfield (even with a broken leg at the moment) - maybe Holland (currently) the exception !.

Met him last year in a bar in Manchester and have to say he was one of the nicest blokes I've met, he was with a few mates but was more than happy to stand and have a chat about all things football with me and my mates, knows he's a wind up merchant and laughs it off and doesn't take himself to seriously...