Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England squad

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]Agreed Carroll should get the nod IMHO. Looked ok this season + has played for under 21s so it should be the natural progression we are looking for. Funnily enough I rate Davies, not the best player but he puts himself about the pitch and is a handful. Not England quality though. Why the he'll are we picking a 33 year old over a promising youngster like Carroll. And why is Parker not in the squad again!!!

I agree with this, firstly about carroll should be ahead of davies although dont mind him still. Also Parker should defo be in cant see why he doesn't even get in the squad, he's a better all round player then Barry and cant think of any area which he's not as good! really annoys me Parker is England quality and just the sort of player we need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]I like the look of Wiltshire, he can play. Give the likes of him a few years we could have a team on our hands.

Wilshire is quality ;o) Stands out in an arsenal side, not a starter yet internationally but in a couple of years here be there instead of lampard/gerrard i reckon. Also i think we got alot of good youngsters to look forward to give us 4 years and we'll be a dominant force........fingers crossed
  • Options
    Don't agree with picking Zamora/Carroll over Davies (especially Zamora as he has a broken leg!!!). The Under-21 side is where we should be nurturing players for the future, not the full side. Otherwise what's the point of the Under-21 team? The full squad should contain players who are the best players NOW, not who will be the best players in 5 years time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Capello is quoted as saying Bent is the future for England and that he's been training very well - he scored in his last game and he should play a big part in England's future.

Don't tell me the penny's started to drop to people that he's a bloody good goalscorer?!

Exactly what i thought! I have been fighting Bent's corner since the 2006 world cup. Finally they realise a natural goalscorer who has an all round game is the way forward in attack!
  • Options
    I think we all have been fighting bents corner for years now and been laughed at, i even once got told Andy Johnson was the better player and has a bigger international future, i knew Bent would prove them all wrong sooner or later.

Matter of time before he gets a move to a champions league club surely.
  • Options
    What's the point in playing the best team now against minnows in a qualification group? You only get a certain amount of experience from playing in the under 21s. The present team has failed, time to rebuild one for the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What's the point in playing the best team now against minnows in a qualification group? You only get a certain amount of experience from playing in the under 21s. The present team has failed, time to rebuild one for the future.

Because if we lost we'd look really stupid.

'Experience' isn't really the issue here. You can get plenty of benefit from an U21 setup which smoothly leads into the full squad - look at the Germans. A year before the world cup half their team was hammering England 4-0 in the European U21 Final.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mike_CAFC[/cite]i even once got told Andy Johnson was the better player and has a bigger international future, [/quote]Same here from an Essex based and a Birmingham based Man Utd fan...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What's the point in playing the best team now against minnows in a qualification group? You only get a certain amount of experience from playing in the under 21s. The present team has failed, time to rebuild one for the future.

I agree
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What's the point in playing the best team now against minnows in a qualification group?

Not taking minnows seriously,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What's the point in playing the best team now against minnows in a qualification group?

Not taking minnows seriously,

To be fair though we had Russia and Croatia in our group then. We should not have underestimated them - two horrible trips away for a start.

Our group now could not be more straightforward, Bulgaria and Wales in disarray, Montenegro have 3 or 4 players and a load of nobodies and I was out in Basel a few weeks ago where Switzerland were utterly dreadful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's still underestimating them mate....wales will be up for it even if it was a few leek farmers turnining up for the game in their boots. Remember Northern Ireland!

A lot of teams tend to raise their game or a least play frustrating tactics against us so a few 0-0 are more than possible.
  • Options
    These so-called minnows (Montenegro) will come to Wembley top of the group if they avoid defeat against Switzerland on friday.
    I know Wales and Bulgaria are poor sides but they beat them both without conceding, so they're not exactly San Marino.
  • Options
    so pleased that kev (davies) has found a place in the squad at last! i used to go out drinking with him when my mate was married to his sister. he was around 19-21 then and i always found him to be a decent bloke. being a bit older than him we took him under our wing. he was treated like one on the lads and only bought a round the same as the rest of the lads. he was never allowed to get ahead of himself even when he bought the best house in our area with a swimming pool and then a ferrari, typical yorkshire lad really. he was earning around 13k week when he signed for blackburn all those years ago. i can remember when he scored an equaliser at anfield for southampton and he was so chuffed. we used to find it bizarre that all the player had to get on the team bus after away games in the north of england and it would stop at the closest motorway services where all their mates, wives, mums lol, would pick them up. we gave him some stick one time when a young model sold her story to the papers, kiss and tell thing and it said 'england star in sex romp' etc. we laughed at him as he was only an england b player. i have never rated him as a player if im honest, but he's an honest genuine bloke and thats what wins my respect from footballers these days.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]That's still underestimating them mate....wales will be up for it even if it was a few leek farmers turnining up for the game in their boots. Remember Northern Ireland!

A lot of teams tend to raise their game or a least play frustrating tactics against us so a few 0-0 are more than possible.[/quote]Likewise the young England players will want to prove something to the manager, unlike the senior players.

A player like Wayne Rooney will be in the squad for the next 7 years or so, it makes sense for the players coming through who don't play for the same club as him to learn how to play with him during a match.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think that the mighty marc albrighton deserves a call up