Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics - £900 M OVER ALREADY

Shock horror.

But to Red Ken's credit , for once, he has said no more dough from Council tax payers.

We truly are a rip off country.

Even the bubbles did it at a fraction of the costs our is being quoted at. Admittedly they used donkeys etc ( I am joking) and albanians according to my greek father in law anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like another wembley,these people who set the budgets for these schemes are a joke
  • Options
    Oh dear, down here in Oz the New South Wales government boasted long and loud that the Sydney Olympics in 2000 would make a profit for the state and leave them with all of this incredible infrastructure that the people could make use of once the games were over.
    Well, once the games were over and all the back-slapping about the "Greatest games ever" had died down the NSW government revealed (on a Friday afternoon, of course) that the games had losts around AUD$2.3 million (UKStg1 billion) and that, ahem, the government would "make good" on the shortfall. From everyone's taxes. You have been warned!!!
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I resent having to pay anything towards the Olympics. I couldn't give a toss about the Olympics and really wouldn't have been bothered if they had been awarded to Paris.
  • Options
    ormiston? ausie dollar 2.3 million equals sterling 1 billion?
  • Options
    Sorry, Curb it, Aussie$2.3 BILLION, I meant to say!!!!

Not only that, but all the pools, tracks, cycling velodromes that the NSW taxpayers were supposed to "benefit from" after the Olympics for free have all imposed significant admission charges. So, in effect, people have to pay for them twice. The Olympics are the biggest rort between governments and the construction industry that you will ever find.
  • Options
    Things can only get better.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Maybe it's just me, but I resent having to pay anything towards the Olympics. I couldn't give a toss about the Olympics and really wouldn't have been bothered if they had been awarded to Paris.

I couldn't give a toss about it either. I think Montreal only just finished paying off the debt for their Olympics at the backend of last year, some thirty years after they threw their party for the world. The so called sports minister Richard Caborn spouts the usual nonsense about how good the event will be for Britain and boasts the great sporting facilities the country will have. The thing is quite a few of Mr Caborn's constituents remember the 1991 World Student Games and were paying for it for years after the event. At the time of the last General Election I was living in his consituency and I voted for one of his opponents.
  • Options
    Shame "going to the dogs" isn't an Olympic sport, eh?

Tell you what, we'll archive these moans, and in 5 1/2 years time when the Olympics pass off alright, you'll all probably still be moaning because they haven't emptied the bins in Sidcup.

There's too much at stake for anyone to allow the Olympics to be a failure. And there's still a long way to go yet.
  • Options
    As the Mayor said a couple of days ago, the increase in land value in Stratford will cover a lot of the costs, and Olympics tend to make massive profits.

Anyway, people might learn to enjoy things in this country once in a while, it'll be great