Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

favourite London pubs

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Nell Gwynne off Fleet Street has always been a favourite since schooldays
    Its tiny, friendly, the journey to the toilets is always a good measure of how much you have had to drink, amd its attraction for me is that it always feels a little naughty to be in there somehow
  • Options
    The Bedford in Balham...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Hot shots, you can walk in there at 4am and get served, they don't get a fook![/quote]

In Ladywell? Lovely place, lad I know got stabbed to death outside it.[/quote]That's the place, as lovely as a heart attack. Another stabbing by the Swan in Bromley last week, worrying times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bikepest[/cite]The Dog & Bell is as posh as it gets here in Deptford. But good beer, so worth a stop...

Royal Albert on New Cross Road is quite posh in an art studenty sort of a way. Thought it was disgraceful that the Deptford Arms was allowed to be turned into a Paddy Power bookies. Ridiculous number of betting shops on Deptford High Street now.

Anyway, The Mitres probably my favourite with an honourable mention for the Flying Scotsman.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]No mention of the Antigallican?

All true Charlton fans had their wedding reception there.

Times were hard.
    Where did the aways go?
  • Options
    Surely the bridal party drank in there before the wedding whilst the grooms side drank inthe Oak
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]heard of that one - is it still there? I thought the area had been

Drink there most days (or the Princess Louise if I'm broke!).
  • Options
    The Lamb - Leadenhall Market.

Lovely picture on the wall of the Queen Mother pulling a pint when she was in there.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Afternoon Delight[/cite]The Lamb - Leadenhall Market.

Lovely picture on the wall of the Queen Mother pulling a pint when she was in there.

Sorry to disappoint but that photo was taken in a Young's pub somewhere in the East End. Can' remember the exact pub. Did see Reg Varney there on a couple of occasions and the John Wayne photo was taken there during the shooting of Brannigan. Dave, the previous guvnor, is a Charlton fan.

I like the Lamb, also the Lamb in Lamb;s Conduit Street.

For a good old-fashioned local type of pub, The Royal Oak near Borough tube station is good. Harvey's Beer.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]When I worked in Soho a few years ago, I used to enjoy going in the Star and Garter in Poland Street.[/quote]

I like that pub. I used to meet an old meth in there called Tony Grolsch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Royal Oak is a real gem, probably my favourite. It was the best thing about going to Millwall away last season.

The Harp near Charing Cross / Covent Garden always has good beer but is really small. The Rake in winchester walk near Borough market is a great place for unusual beers from the continent and the USA.
  • Options
    Sadly The Lamb in Leadenhall is not what it was. The aforementioned David was the Guv there for 35 years and his Dad 30 years before him. It started to go downhill once he left and then continued once Youngs sold out to Charles Wells.
    It tries to be too many things these days, the beer isn't very good and it now attracts a different type of punter and women!
  • Options
    The Booty at Wapping is a nice place for a pint on the river. Not that old. 1960`s I think an old warehouse. small but cosy and pretty much a seat guarenteed. Great if you can get a river window seat.
  • Options
    The Flying Horse in Wilson Street, round the back of Finsbury Square. Quality barmaids too.
  • Options
    The Lamb (Lamb's Conduit Street), The Lord Clyde and, of course, The Boadicea.
  • Options
    The Caxton on The Highway good boozer that opens at 4am use to use it when I worked on the Underground.
  • Options
    The Victoria, Strathearn Place near Lancaster Gate. Cant fault it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    De Hems. Dutch pub on Gerrard street right on the corner of China town . Cracking beer.
  • Options
    Amersham Arms and Camden Enterprise
  • Options
    Try tHe Hoop and Grapes Aldgate, the regular beers are London Pride and Timothy Taylor, and always in good condition. They then have the guest beers from around the country.
    The staff are always friendly and prices not too bad at £2.90 for pride, and yes for those that know it is a Nicholsons pub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to go to a very big pub in Dulwich during our years at Palarse - great pub, can't remember the name.
  • Options
    Idle Hans pub near Victoria, try Star Tavern, 6 Belgrade Mews West.
  • Options
    I know its not in London but I hear that the Star Tavern in Rochester is pretty pretty good especially on Sunday evenings ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]I used to go to a very big pub in Dulwich during our years at Palarse - great pub, can't remember the name.

Was that the Dulwich Woodhouse? Great Youngs house 20 or more years ago - haven't visited it recently.