Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I've just this minute booked RTW ticket

2»

Comments

• Options
    are you going to be banging on about this for the next 8 months? :-)

just kidding, so jealous. my holiday this year is 6 days in a tent in somerset, (which will be awesome) hardly the same!
  • Options
    I found leaving oz a terrible wrench and was very upset. I eventually got home in a january (big mistake) and moved into a horrible house share in sidcup. It was all very depressing getting the train home after spending a good part of the year commuting by the Manly Ferry. I couldnt settle at all, so I saved for 12 months and then moved to hong kong for 3 years.

If you find that you like travelling and are not homesick you will always have the travel bug. Its something i recommend to anyone i meet who is thinking of travelling. I've done as much as i want for now and im more than happy to be back home and settled but it took a while.

anyway thats my life story over with.
  • Options
    Same sort of sentiments as Curb it....... once you do it properley and you love it, it will never leave you ... ive only been back a bit and Im always looking at jobs abroad..... you can get itchy feet over anything .... ive been in aus for 2 of the past four years and although I think thats done for me now(australia), Im really tempted by south america and once the money builds up again.... who knows!!!!

Ps if youve got a decent bunch of mates around you its always great to come back but it can wear off pretty quickly.... also you will miss charlton and curries!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Nice one Tom

I'm off to Oz next week for a 5 week trip which includes 4 days in Tokyo on the way back --- thats if those Bastewards don't go on strike!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tom, i can advise you on anything japanese if you need ,have been more than a few times.Buy the good guide, but i could help also.Example if you are going to travel in Japan then you should buy a JRL Ticket, but you must buy this in u.k. and you can travel on tube and train, it's like a weekly ticket but cheaper than paying and going.Have a good time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]as others have said you must do Queenstown. Awesome place. Also scenic flight over Fox Glacier and Mount Cook is an experience as well. Also, there is a small church by Lake Wakitipu. Absolutely stunning view from inside. Takes your breath away. Osaka is an interesting place as well. Osaka Castle well worth a visit.

Large, is that the church by the sheepdog memorial? Cos that's at Lake Tekapo. The scenic flight was expensive (although they used to do a discount for YHA members), but well worth it in my opinion - I got some awesome photos. I did a month in New Zealand 4 years ago, and absolutely loved it, and would like to go back at some point to see more of the bits I didn't have much time for. Rotorua's great, and the geysers are particularly impressive if it's rained the previous night. Fjiordland is impressive, but be prepared for it to absolutely chuck it down with rain. Kaikoura and Dunedin are good for wildlife, although if the sea's a bit rough the whale watching excursion is best not done with a hangover.

Tom, I dunno if this is possible now you've booked it, but would you be able to swap the Nz and Oz legs of your trip over? As things stand it looks like you'll be in NZ around June, which is the middle of winter there. That's less of a problem around Auckland, but on the South Island the weather's likely to be miserable, if not necessarily UK wintry at that time of year. Whereas if you go November / December time it'll be late spring early summer, so the weather will be much better, although it'll be high season so some things may be more expensive. If you want to do the traditional backpacker tour, Magic Bus had a good reputation from people that I spoke to, or if you want to be a bit more flexible, you could just get a Travel Pass and sort out your own itinerary.