Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Malcolm Allison Has Died

edited October 2010 in General Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Another (briefly) former Charlton player.

RIP
  • Options
    was real charecter in the game

RIP
  • Options
    All that cigar chomping and champagne guzzling, he did bloody well to make it to 83.

Hope for us all!
  • Options
    Was lucky enough to meet him when we last played Man City away.

Was looking very frail but pleased to have shook his hand.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Was lucky enough to meet him when we last played Man City away.

Was looking very frail but pleased to have shook his hand.

You must be gutted that someone else has scooped you on a someone has died thread :-)
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Another football charachter passes away, he was a cigar smoking, champagne drinking, fedora wearing, 2 x parlarse manager (i dont hold that against him), nice guy. Always had something to say and loved the limelight Pity that we dont have many of these type of managers left in the game.

RIP Mr Allison
  • Options
    My Grandad nearly shed a tear when i told him, close friends back in his Charlton days.

RIP
  • Options
    Alway's thought he was entertaining on the telly like Clough, not afraid to say that he made mistakes as well, unlike Brian........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjH5TPs423E

Hope football treats him with regard as he loved the game with a passion.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Entertaining but admitted to slapping his girlfriends around. We all make mistakes but from his own words he didn't just do it once. Couldn't care less about him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played only two times for Charlton over christmas 1949 making his debut as captain against Man City and last game against Portsmouth at TheValley on boxing day .Once got married at Sidcup register office on sidcup hill in the 70s.
    Will always remember him as the other half to the late and great Joe Mercer at Man City.
  • Options
    I think he was a forward thinking coach which can be forgotton due to his personality and antics. I think Keith Peacock referred to a training ground spat Allison (then a player) had with Jimmy Seed in his book. Seed represented the old way of doing things (Starve players of the ball in training so they are hungry for it on Saturday) and Allison was embracing the new. Think it led to his departure from the club.
  • Options
    When I was a young kid, Malcolm signed my autograph book outside the players' entrance then asked if I would like him to take it into the changing room to obtain the signatures of the home AND away team.He did this then brought back the book, a programme and gave me half a crown. He was a very kind man and later I was able to treat him once or twice to champagne at the 21 club in Chesterfield gardens. Will be missed.
  • Options
    Nice story, Dave Roan. Lovely gesture from the man to a young kid.
  • Options
    As personalities go, they don't get any bigger and he had an immense presence in more ways than one. As a coach he was his own man but his methods were simple and effective and his knowledge of the game could not be questioned. Our own Lennie Lawrence learnt a great deal from him at Plymouth Argyle and he was an inspiration to many of his fellow coaches. He felt shackled by the coaching methods at Charlton and the move to West Ham was just what he needed. It wasn't long before he was instrumental in changing their approach and they were the better for it in the long run. The day Bobby Moore walked up the steps at Upton Park to sign forms, he passed Malcolm Allison on his way down, having just been told he was finished as a player at the age of 26 with TB. In subsequent years the two became the greatest of friends and Allison was utterly devastated when Moore died. For all his macho bravado, Malcolm Allison recognised and respected greatness when he saw it.
  • Options
    Alisons brown bread.
    Rip.
  • Options
    Legend.

Remember seeing a behind the scenes documentry when I was a kid about Allison and Manchester City, there was a circus surrounding him in the game at the time and a great character like Cloughie. I think he underachieved and walked away from the game too early or could have been England manager as Cloughie should have been.

RIP
  • Options
    Speaking to a Palace fan, no minutes silence tomorrow as Millwall can not be trusted to observe.
  • Options
    He may have respected greatness, and most say he was an excellent coach. But his player acquisition record at Man City(2) is one of the worst in history. Couple of million on Daley and Reeves, dear dear.

Cloughey was still buying great players into the 90's. In the big time, Allison made a shocking mess of managing at Man City twice. My mate who was a Brissie Rovers fan said he never saw better football in his life when he turned up there. Only problem being the initial improvement never lasted. Great coach, very poor manager.
  • Options
    His management skills may be open to criticism, even the man himself would put his hands up to that, but his coaching skills at the time, and on reflection were both refreshing and many a player gained greatly from them.

A man who seemed to enjoy life, and was a good pundit on TV, and who loved the game.

When you think of the football club coaching at the highest level in the UK , give me Malcom any time.

Clough, Shankley, are my two favourite managers, especially shanks, these men knew how to motivate men and had a passion for the game, like Bobby Robson time will hopefully give them there place in footballing history, along with players like Moore, Best and others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP.
    Is it true he used to go to Bexleyheath School?
  • Options
    I did my work experience in a sports shop in sid cup which the ref steve bennett owned. Malcolm came in once to take ownership of some training gear when he managed fisher athletic. RIP sir.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]His management skills may be open to criticism, even the man himself would put his hands up to that, but his coaching skills at the time, and on reflection were both refreshing and many a player gained greatly from them.

When you think of the football club coaching at the highest level in the UK , give me Malcom any time.

I agree he was one of the best coaches, especially as he made the best of what he had. I remember his Middlesbrough team at the Valley in 1982 where the average height seemed to be about 6ft 4inches and the biggest set of footballers I have seen, before or since. They towered over Hales, Simonsen et al. They just brushed Charlton aside and were 3 up before Hales and Simonsen scored.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: richie8[/cite]RIP.
    Is it true he used to go to Bexleyheath School?

He was born and bred in Bexleyheath so he either went there, or to another local school.

RIP Malcolm allison, considering his lifestyle and that he had TB (along with part of a lung removed) then he did well to get to 83.
  • Options
    An arrogant egotistical tosspot given a platform by ITV and the fawning Brian Moore; this man set tone for Venables; "team of the 80's"; and I would suggest, Simon Jordan.
    He did more than anyone to fuel my hatred of Crystal Palace.
    Underneath all that was a good coach. Jolly well done for that.
    Obviously RIP as I would wish any human being; but there'll be no revisionist hypocrisy from me.
    (PS. RIP Joe Mercer)