Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Victory : Arsenal U18s v Charlton U18s

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Our kids beat Arsenal 1-3 away. Great achievement. I wasn't there but Damian Matthew must be a proud man tonight having steered his kids to a victory over the might of Arsenal. It makes Parkinson's comment the other day about wanting the first team to set an example to the academy by playing passing football seem even more inept. If Parky goes we could do a lot worse than promote Damian Matthew.

Comments

• Options
    Great result given their multinational pedigree. Look forward to reports. Not sure about Matthews in the big job. Sometimes these things work, sometimes they're terrible. Don't know enough about the man and fear the people making appointments lack the judgement. I think they need to go safe next time.
  • Options
    If The People are right and Arsenal are trying to poach Diego Poyet, perhaps our 3-1 victory will help make up his mind to stay.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well done the kids and Damian Matthew. Glad to have some good news from this weekend. Would be nice if the OS put the story up in hurry, given it would be a good time to read some good news.

Gutting that we are losing our best young players before we've had a chance to see them turn out for us though.
  • Options
    Who Is the manager of that team remind me

Damien Mathews

thats right

Give him a go and give the youth the chance to succeed
  • Options
    Give him a bigger influence by all means but if he is doing a good job in Academy - let him continue to do it so we can reap the benefits.
  • Options
    Part of me would like to see him given a chance.

Very different situation though and impossible to know how he'd handle it. He's managing at a level where it's about development and performances over results. In the first team it's results over everything else.

If Parky goes I'd want to see him as caretaker manager. Kinsella and Breacker would also have to go along with Parky.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Be careful what you wish for. Les Reed is/was good at coaching kids, didn't make him a good manager though.
  • Options
    That was premier league he couldnt handle the names and ego's

Damien would know and trust some of the youth boys to step up

you can bet your life that the young ones will play for him.

we need to give the kids a chance and build a football team from scratch

someone one day will give dm a job why not us

scunthorpe had their physio and look what he did

dm's football is neat and fast under gritty it was long ball from what i hear it is back to its best

he is my first choice
  • Options
    I know what you're saying but he'd have to work with the first team. Throwing in Mambo for Doherty or Tuna for Abbott for example isn't the thing to do. Pardew got desperate and threw Wright in, in hope more than anything. That's not the way we need to go at the moment turn things around.

Give them a chance when the time is right I do agree. Now isn't the time to give them a go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]That was premier league he couldnt handle the names and ego's

Damien would know and trust some of the youth boys to step up

you can bet your life that the young ones will play for him.

we need to give the kids a chance and build a football team from scratch

someone one day will give dm a job why not us

scunthorpe had their physio and look what he did

dm's football is neat and fast under gritty it was long ball from what i hear it is back to its best

he is my first choice

Sorry NLA

Despite you being a neighbour, I don't really agree with the appointment of DM. I have seen numerous 18's games under his management and I have yet to be entirely convinced by his tactics and other things. I would say that he is a long way from any first team coaching at the minute and this suggestion is a million miles off! Unfortunately, I do not have the solution!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    U18s playing Arsenal again and currently 1-0 through a Popo goal.

@liamhappe providing updates on twitter.

Someone called Mountney is playing CM for us, anyone know who he is? Probably an u16. EDIT: It's Mountney, not Moutney
  • Options
    Finished 3-0, Azeez and Pigott scored the other two goals. Pigott also has one disallowed for offside.
  • Options
    Great performance and a great result from the kids. Arsenal a little rattled by a horrific leg injury to Martin Angha early on and subsequent switch of key player Josh Rees from forward to right-back (!), but they were well beaten and Morris Popo and Jordan in particular were superb.