Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FAO Richard Murrey

SE9SE9
edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Right, im not into all this that if you sack a boss you have to pay the rest of his wages and im quite sure every one else is aswell!

I have no problem with Parkinson, apart from he is not for us. If he has to go, he has to go. I am not for one , to go down to Greenhithe and ask him to leave, but I am one to say "walk out of our club with out asking for a pay off"

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE9[/cite]Right, im not into all this that if you sack a boss you have to pay the rest of his wages and im quite sure every one else is aswell!

I have no problem with Parkinson, apart from he is not for us. If he has to go, he has to go. I am not for one , to go down to Greenhithe and ask him to leave, but I am one to say "walk out of our club with out asking for a pay off"

It depends on what is in his contract, and if he is sacked then I hope that the club honour the contract.

With around six/seven months left of a one year deal paying him up is hardly going to be a onerous financial burden.
  • Options
    Dowie OUT
    Reed OUT
    Pardew OUT
    Parkinson OUT

You are all missing the main point. Murray appointed them all, so why trust him to make a better choice next time.

The club needs to be sold first, as to his credit Murray obviously knows.
  • Options
    how can you sell something thats not worth anything ? Its just as well we own the Vally ,, or do we ?? you could get a good few houses on there !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentred2[/cite]Dowie OUT
    Reed OUT
    Pardew OUT
    Parkinson OUT

You are all missing the main point. Murray appointed them all, so why trust him to make a better choice next time.

Your point is?

I'm not sure where you've been, but Richard Murray has been trying to sell the club for several years.
  • Options
    I do hope if Parky goes that the job is given to a new face outside of the club, who have been involved in the last 5 years. Nothing wrong with Kinsella just hope its not another give it to the number 2 guy.
  • Options
    The fact that Murray has appointed four failures since Curbs departed, and has overseen our transition from the Premiership to the lower reaches of the third tier of English football says it all.

He got lucky with Curbs. But since Cubs departed every manager has has appointed has been a dismal failure.

He needs to show Parky, Breaker and Kinsella the door. We need a new manager with fresh ideas. Clearly the present set up has taken as far as we can go. The longer they are left in place the further this club will fall.
  • Options
    Dowie and Reed did the damage, since then we have never recovered, the Reed appointment was dismal , that was the chance to get things moving and back on track.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]how can you sell something thats not worth anything ? Its just as well we own the Vally ,, or do we ?? you could get a good few houses on there !

Could you??? I thought it was only allowed to be used as a football stadium...
    Isn't that why Gliksten got blocked developing on there?
    Reed OUT
    Pardew OUT
    Parkinson OUT

Spot on. Said it many times on the heaps of "Parky out" threads, already out there...
    Shame Murray only went looking for investment once the ship had sunk though...
    I know personally that anybody trying to get a debate going on our already declining "status" back in 2004, or suggesting anything like a takeover, was instantly jumped on...
    Now it's the clubs number 1 goal....
  • Options
    Everyone talks about Murray taking on all our managers, but if you look at the recordsof them before they arrived here, they were not bad.

Dowie - around 40% wins
    Reed - was a mistake, but one most of us would agree, thought Les deserved a go as caretaker only.
    Pardew - around 45% wins

Even with Parky, he hasn't lost around 65% of our games.

For whatever reason, when they come here they seem to just lose it here. I don't think its down to Murray alone. Murray has given the managers total support (and too much at times, such as Les Reed).

To blame Murray is like blaming your own mother for your birth because you cant do something which she thought you would be good at but wasn't! She has done everything to help and support you but when you go wrong, its her fault!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I don't think Murray is to blame for players under performing

He backed Dowie and Pardew with too much money and it backed fired, and now we're paying for it by only signing freebies or players on nominal fees in League One
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]
    Reed OUT
    Pardew OUT
    Parkinson OUT

Spot on. Said it many times on the heaps of "Parky out" threads, already out there...
    Shame Murray only went looking for investment once the ship had sunk though...
    I know personally that anybody trying to get a debate going on our already declining "status" back in 2004, or suggesting anything like a takeover, was instantly jumped on...
    Now it's the clubs number 1 goal....

Absolutely spot on. How many other fans would still be so supportive of a chariman that has made so, so many bad decisions?

Not a goading comment, just upset and wondering how long this will all continue for.

CAFC
  • Options
    You can say Murray failed in his appointments but you look at some if the managers who have been at clubs in the same position as us and most of them have failed too. You look at Sheffield Wednesday, Bradford, Leicester, Derby, Southampton etc and they have all failed apart from when someone has come in and invested a ton of money.

I'm really struggling to think of a club relegated which has been turned round without a large investment.

To come in to a club like ours, the situation is no money, large debts, a culture of losing at the club and a fan base who are completely p*ssed off. To turn all that around with a bunch of free transfers wouldn't be a piece of good management, it would be a miracle.

I'm still with Parky, I think he is a good manager in an incredibly tough situation. Bringing in a new manager will change nothing because they would have no money to spend on transfers.

I still think we can make the playoffs this season or higher. If we are still in the same position when the January transfer window opens, then maybe make a change but I don't think it would make a lot of difference.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]Absolutely spot on. How many other fans would still be so supportive of a chariman that has made so, so many bad decisions?

this
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Billericay Dickie[/cite]The fact that Murray has appointed four failures since Curbs departed, and has overseen our transition from the Premiership to the lower reaches of the third tier of English football says it all.

He got lucky with Curbs. But since Cubs departed every manager has has appointed has been a dismal failure.

He needs to show Parky, Breaker and Kinsella the door. We need a new manager with fresh ideas. Clearly the present set up has taken as far as we can go. The longer they are left in place the further this club will fall.[/quote]

I would not say he got lucky with Curbs as he made the right decision between him and Gritt, lot of fans were slating Murray for not appointing Gritt.

As far as Pards was concerned I think you all can agree most of us were calling for him while Les Reed was our manager at the time. I honestly think Murray was having a huge dig at Simon Jordan when he appointed Dowie, surely there were more managers out there who applied for the role would have been more suited?

I don't rate Parky at all because I don't think he is the type of manager we need, plus I never agreed with the appointment in the first place as we needed someone fresh after Pardew. We need someone similar to Steve Coteriall, as he had a tough time with Notts County and now Portsmouth and he seems to get the best out of those players.

Im not sure getting rid of Kinsella is a good idea as he was a good captain and his heart was in the right place, he is just taking Parky's instructions. I would love to bring Chris Powell back in a coaching role.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know how Richard Murray operates in the business world outside football but, based on the fact that he seems to be successful, I assume that he gets most things right. Now, that either makes him an expert or a visionary in his own business field or ... and this is my guess ... he has a bloody good team around him.

Most successful business men who I have encountered are generally pretty impressive in their own right, but have the knack of identifying top class right hand men and women who can help to get the job done. It's rare to find a business kingpin who can and has done it all himself.

Now translate that to the world of football. Early last year the Fans' Forum tried hard to raise this issue with Richard ... the feeling that we need more 'football nous' at Board level. The need for strong right hand men who could help with second opinions on pure 'football' decisions (like assessing players, identifying transfer targets, developing playing styles and strategies which suit the squad available etc).

The Fans' Forum was rebuffed with re-assurances that Richard uses Derek Ufton and Keith Peacock in such advisory capacity. He also mentioned that he took advice from Scott Parker when considering the signing of Amdy Faye.

With all due respect to Messrs Ufton, Peacock and 'I'll look out for you if you look out for me' Parker, I and one or two others remain convinced that we still a bit more strength at Boardroom level in terms of football nous.

Is Les Reed still at Southampton? And what about Steve Brown?
  • Options
    In a perfect world Curbs would fit that bill however whether it be pride or whatever it is very unlikely that it would be offered or accepted.

Also RM has made his intentions clear that he is looking to sell so it would be very difficult to entice anyone with enough nous and love of charlton to be comitted to such a role and undertake the project of rebuilding knowing that if the right buyers come along that their position and mission would be stifled or even terminated with new owners.

As pointed out by others until a takeover emerges we arent in a positon for drastic change so it is likely of changing at management level which is a gamble but can be a calculated gamble if done correctly and not in the knee- jerk manner previous appointments have been conducted.

It appears to me that we are papering over cracks as we are at present and trying to save a slowly sinking ship with a bucket.
  • Options
    Better man the lifeboats :-)
  • Options
    In a perfect world, Curbs would also have a new club by now, so it is just possible that reality has forced rethinks. Curbs obviously woudn't want to come here as a new permanent manager, and we couldn't afford him. But what about as a short term caretaker manager? He might feel it would benefit him to get back into some kind of football. He has seen the squad, knows about Parky's tactics etc so he would have a head start. That would buy RM some considering time, and I do believe that the football would improve. Curbs reputation could be boosted and I think it would bring the supporters back on side.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Curbs isn't going to come back. Only chance he would is if we're taken over like Southampton were, with a similar board who want to invest plenty of money and have long term plans. Can't see why he'd come back here just to help us out.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]how can you sell something thats not worth anything ? Its just as well we own the Vally ,, or do we ??[b]you could get a good few houses on there[/b]![/quote]

Could you??? I thought it was only allowed to be used as a football stadium...
    Isn't that why Gliksten got blocked developing on there?

Not sure Jo, Greenwich council have always been anti sport & anti Charlton, they would probably bite your hand off for some houses, have all the Ferrier folk been re-housed ? (sorry been a while since i've been down that way)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why are we talking about building houses at the Valley!

Christ it was a very bad day at the office, and people are probably had a bellyful of poor football at Charlton over the past few years, but let's try and get some sense of proportion!

In any case, the old heights, is contaimenated land/ landfill so it is not worth that much, not that houses around the Valley are going to fetch a premium, this is not Highbury!

I think Parky will be here for several more games, if not the rest of the season. I hold no brief for him, just cannot see the finace to do that!, let alone who would come.

End of the season , well that is another question!
  • Options
    Murray did not "get lucky" with curbs... I spoke with him at that time and using the fact that he tipped extra cash in at that time he carried the board with his belief that he didn't believe in co-management system (with Steve Gritt) ... and he made the choice ... followed by careful management of the club to ensure that the sale of Lee Bowyer paid dividends

The whole board including those who tipped money in and have subsequently taken a hit backed Dowie and then Pardew ... the latest smack in the face for decisions made at that time comes with Kish returning... but basically we and the board didn't realise that we were a championship club... we were spoilt!

Right now I think Charlton are a bargain for any rich bod with an interest - compared to losing £140M at Liverpool or Al Fayed spending £100m to get Fulham up two divisions. So let's hope someone comes in before we slip even further - I still think Parky can keep us where we are and tread water until someone comes in with the 5-10M required to get us up and challenging for Championship playoffs...

And who should manage?

Well we know Curbs can do it and we won't moan at him next time will we?!