Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst league position since 1925/26?

Another cheery thought for this cold Sunday morning.

Sitting in 14th place as we do, we have now equalled our worst league position in 85 years.

In 1973/74 we finished 14th in Div Three - and unless we make a dramatic improvement, at the moment you have to fear the real possibility that we could 'beat' that and finish lower come the end of 2010/11.

Beyond 73/74, you have to go right back to 1925/26 when we finished 21st in the old Third Division (South).

The odd thing is that on paper, that 73/74 side wasn't that shabby , for it included several names popularly regarded as ''Charlton legends'' - Hales, Flanagan, Powell, Peacock and Horsfield, who got 20 goals that season. One cannot detect too many future legends in the current side, sadly.

Comments

• Options
    the 73/4 side got promoted the next season ...... can't see that happening here
  • Options
    Thanks for that some on Sunday were stating they had seen worse. Tried to make the point when and the stats back it up.

Officially the worst side for 85 years---------------lets stick with what we have though----he might turn it around -----FFS--- yep and if he dont--------where are we going to be.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited October 2010
    On the 29th April 1974, we were 19th

Link

EDIT
    and on the 26th April 1974, we were 18th
    Link2
  • Options
    The season isn't over yet, so can't say it's the worst since 1925. With two games to go in 73/74 Charlton were 19th.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]The season isn't over yet, so can't say it's the worst since 1925. With two games to go in 73/74 Charlton were 19th.

I thought the original post made it pretty clear one was talking specifically about final league position.If not, apologies.

We might finish higher than 14th. We might also finish lower.I hate to say this, but if I had to put money on it, the way we are playing at present I'd probably go lower.

Hopefully I'd be wrong and lose my money. But note the question mark in the thread title : ''Worst league position since 1925/26?''

That is where we are headed, unless Parky or A N Other can turn it around.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Sitting in 14th place as we do, we have now equalled our worst league position in 85 years.

Except we haven't, as shown below.

The rest of your post is about finishing position, but you start with a false claim about the current position.
  • Options
    I just wanted to be an anorak and see if it was the lowest. Whatever way you look at it though it's very depressing.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Sitting in 14th place as we do, we have now equalled our worst league position in 85 years.

Except we haven't, as shown below.

The rest of your post is about finishing position, but you start with a false claim about the current position.

Look at the question mark in the thread title. And see post above.

It is not a false claim : 14th equals our worst finishing position in 85 years.

I'm afraid I don't know where we will be on May 7th, 2011, although I fear it will not be good.

I do know where we are right now. And that's not good, either, and is quite likely to get worse.

Thought that was fairly obvious, tbh. But apologies again, if not.
  • Options
    OK, the answer to the part-question in the title is April 1974, when we were 19th in Division 3.

If you asked about the worst league finishing position, then yes, so far, 14th in Division 3 in 73/74
  • Options
    Wait until after Carlisle and Sheff Wednesday, we'll be a lot lower than 14th if we do not drastically improve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    saw todays current table position 3 years ago... really sad. Admin is currently driving the club in to the ground that many hard working people helped bring the club back up.
    not the coaches or players faults. Admin to blame.
    Now that murray has his money from the Disney lawsuit, he can start doing something productive.
  • Options
    1973-1974 FINISHED 14TH IN LEAGUE 3 ALSO LOSTED 0-4 AT HOME TO BRIGHTON
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]1973-1974 FINISHED 14TH IN LEAGUE 3 ALSO LOSTED 0-4 AT HOME TO BRIGHTON

I remember it well. I think a guy called Ronnie Howell scored a hat trick for them.