Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another nail in modern football's coffin

2»

Comments

• Options
    Still the second highest average attendance after Germany 1988 though dabos...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite] Quality of infrastructure/policing of football, Quality of Stadiums which it will 100% fill. .
    Just like Euro 96
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Still the second highest average attendance after Germany 1988 though dabos...

I may well go and watch Charlton play, but I would never go to watch Honduras v Switzerland live. I suspect a majority of club football fans would think the same, and this is backed up by attendances at major championships.

I would say though that it makes a lot more sense for us to host the World Cup than the Olympics, but that's another argument altogether. I'm merely questioning the statement that the stadiums would be "100% full" were we to host the World Cup.

Sorry, I'm derailing this thread somewhat.
  • Options
    There's only been one successful joint bid for the World Cup before now, Algarve, (Japan and Korea) and they were a proper joint bid, with half and half. With Portugal only contributing two grounds to the bid, I think it's a little bit cheeky to be expecting to qualify automatically.

I know Libya and Tunisia wanted to bid for the 2010 World Cup but they were told that FIFA weren't going to allow joint bids. I wonder what's changed.

I have my doubts too that the English grounds will be full for Togo v Paraguay and the like. In fact, I doubt they'll be 100% full for any game (excluding any of the home nations, Netherlands or Germany) before the quarter final stage. I also don't support the building of white elephants like the proposed grounds/extensions in Nottingham, Plymouth, Bristol and Milton Keynes (at least two of these will be built if England win the bid, as far as I know).
  • Options
    I was thinking of the Euros as well IA. and I agree about Portugal's part in the bid, I also think it's a bit cheeky for a big nation like Spain which has hosted both the WC and the Olympics in the recent past, not to bid on their own - that could end up bing their downfall?

Dabos - Agree they wont be 100% full, but I bet there will be more for Switzerland v Honduras in Newcastle than in St. Petersburg or Seville...