Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++USER POLL - PARKINSON'S FUTURE+++

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Rightly a lot of anger and disappointment in the aftermath of Saturday's debacle, so left it a couple of days before starting this to try and give everyone a slightly more reflective view.

We are either at, or rapidly approaching another real crossroads point, so will be interested to read our members views.

Please use this thread to simply state where you are, and not debate on other people's views. Every other thread is for that purpose.

Comments

• Options
    Parkinson should've gone with Pardew. I said it at the time and I haven't changed my mind. The man plays one dimentional football and doesn't have the nouse to change things when it's going wrong. Brighton were poor a year ago and now GP has got them playing good passing football so it can be done with the right manager
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Over the last few weeks I've moved from 'we wouldn't do any better under someone else' to 'we couldn't be any worse, so we at least have to give it a try'.

Sitting in 14th place is only a snapshot after 12 games, of course, and we could finish higher or lower. But I fear the latter and realising that we currently occupy our lowest league position in 85 years (equalling 73-74) was a kind of smell the coffee moment for me.

I think the probability is that a new manger will not be able to arrest the spiral of decline we are locked in. I fear that won't happen until Richard Murray is successful in his stated ambition to sell the club. But we have to try , because oblivion is beckoning.

Don't see 'til Xmas' as a logical poll option, because surely if PP does hang on, how long for will depend on the results. There are nine league games and two cup games before Xmas. Say in a month's time we've lost five straight league games and been bundled out of two cups, would anybody still say ' give him until Xmas' ?
  • Options
    He made some good purchases but not enough I'm afraid, and doesn't seem to have the ability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, indeed some players have either stayes still or gone backwards under him -

Give him a few games to turn it around, but we should be looking to move him on now so a new manager has some chance of doing some business in the Winter.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    no one in their right sound mind would now say parky should have been chosen as manager and as valley mc says he should have left with pardew
    but we are where we are and i'm inbetween option 2 & 3 i think up till the end of november he should be given, that is 6 more league games, then that will give a new broom a chance to look before the transfer window or parky more than reasonable amount of time to start looking like a football team rather than the biggest joke in the history of football that we currently are
  • Options
    I agree that Parky should of gone with Pardew, had a complete fresh start. Which is what we need to do now, clear out all the management and bring in some fresh ideas because we really are stagnating to something rotten.

I don't believe Parky will get sacked before his contract runs out in the summer for financial reasons. The only way he will go is if he and everyone else will agree to walk without a payoff which I can't see.

Unless he turns this round quickly though (which I just can't see) things are going to start getting ugly though, saw the first glimpses of the fans backlash on Saturday, think back to the protests outside the west stand to get rid of Pardew but I don't think we will be in a position to sack him now so the fans will just have to grit their teeth and bare it.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, none of the above.

The realitiy of our financial situation means that we simply cannot afford to change managers. Firstly, we would have to pay up Parkinsons' contract, money we don't have. Secondly, there would probably be some kind of signing on fee or agents fee when getting in a new manager, money we don't have. Thirdly, a new manager invariably wants to bring in new players. As we don't have funds for this we would be stuck with an army of loanees (some of which would include costs in the form of wages) or, as in the summer, be faced with a clear out of the existing playing staff in order to fund any incoming transfers.

I was as unhappy with the result as anyone on Saturday (as my wife will testify) but I'm also a realist. Given the financial position we will have Parkinson until his contract expires or he decides to walk (which is unlikely).

In the meantime, I'm CHARLTON 'til I die.
  • Options
    I don't think anything can turn around in 2-3 games. I'd say either go now or give him until the end of the season. Personally I'd give him the time but I'm more worried if we do give him time the attendances would be awful next season.
  • Options
    I think a few more games to show a major change on the pitch and that is it. There is no way we can let it drift till Christmas. If we get someone new in they need to have some lead in to the Christmas period.

Financially it may be a struggle but the club found the cash to make some signing in the summer so I am sure that if it comes to it the financial hit of staying where we are is far higher than the hit of changing manager soon.
  • Options
    If he was the type of character that was able to bring about a big improvement, we'd have seen it as soon as he was installed as caretaker after Pardew. He had better players then. But we went 20 games without getting a win. There is really no discussion required, people just need to look at the league table to see if he has done a good job. His strong point is supposed to be his signings, but other than Dailly, have any of them been a resounding success?
  • Options
    parky hasnt got a clue ,but the whole club is in a mess a change is needed but do we av any money for that to happen ? ,guess we are stuck with him for a few more games at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The 2-3 games thing isn't happening at a favourable time neither with Carlisle away up next with Sheff Wed at home to follow then two away trips to Swindon and Peterborough.
  • Options
    Go now. Everybody has heard my views enough by now so I'm not going to restate them here.
  • Options
    A few more games to show improvement for me to say Parky out.

Though I think he's already gone, the majority of people on here have lost faith in him. It's just when he goes not if.

I hope we turn it around. But after the last 5 years I wouldn't put money on it.

Whatever happens I just want to be looking forward to going to The Valley again and not feeling as if it's a chore to go and watch my team play.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've said elsewhere that I think Nov 20 v Yeovil might be the sort of timetable in RM's head - that is, if he is going to make a move on a new manager at all (and those saying that whatever happens on the field, Parky's here until the end of his contract may well be right).

But if we we fail to win at home v Yeovil , we've slipped further down the league to 17th/18th and we've been bundled out of every cup , then Nov 20 would be a sensible point for RM to conclude he has to make the change. It would also be exactly two years to the week since Pardew went and Parky took over.

The problem is that if Parkinson stays and we don't mount a promotion push then everybody will know that his contract won't be renewed at the end of the season. We will be managed by a dead man walking, and you can even see us ending in the bottom four under that scenario.
  • Options
    There should have been a fourth choice, for the unarguable reasons Alex gave.....
  • Options
    My fear is that in the very unlikely case that Parky was sacked immenently then to save money somebody like Breaker or Kinsella would get promoted to manager. We desperately need a complete fresh start.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]My fear is that in the very unlikely case that Parky was sacked immenently then to save money somebody like Breaker or Kinsella would get promoted to manager. We desperately need a complete fresh start.
    Agree with that. Damian Matthew is the only person at the club I could kind of understand them giving the job to.
  • Options
    I haven't made enough games for my opinion to be worth much but purely from the reaction on here and other places if there is not a massive and very fast turnaround it seems Parkinson's position is untenable.... Rightly or wrongly.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    2 or 3 home games, which would mean til the end of November, but I'm not sure that's enough time for a new broom, perhaps just 2 and that would be Yeovil on the 20th Nov.

Letting Kins take the reins for a bit and Parky go would cost us nothing, whether you think he's ready is another question
  • Options
    I voted for the bottom, but I agree with everything Alex said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What Queensland said. Parky is clueless and the same must be said of his coaching staff. Week in week out the performances have become boringly predictable. Brighton's third goal, was a well worked, well thought out, no doubt fine tuned on the training ground for weeks. Charlton's deadball efforts are, and have been for a while, an absolute joke. Unfortunately, as others have already said, Murray won't sack parky while he still has a contract at Charlton. Sad but true.
  • Options
    Now Now Now

Should never have got the job much to big for him.

Should be talking to other managers right now and gone by thursday.

Damien Matthews in for the time bieing until things sorted

Kinsella (unfortunatley) and Tim Breaker are tarnished with the same brush new broom sweeps clean.
  • Options
    I feel that it is not time for a quick fix, just by bringing a new manager in. The whole clubs ethos needs to be changed. The current Charlton under 18s and under 16s are being schooled right by Damien Matthew and Steve Avory to play fast passing football with athletic players i was there at Arsenal's training ground on Saturday as we beat the best of Arsenal's U 18s,quite a feat. That way of playing should run through the whole club. I feel that Parkinson has gone out to buy a certain sort of player,with a couple of exceptions,which are big lumps,Sodje,Abbott,Docherty,Francis etc to compete at this level. I agree you need some physicallity but i the only way of getting out of this division is by playing football, as Brighton showed us. I feel that somebody like Glenn Hoddle would totally change the dynamics of the club.
  • Options
    Manager is certainly on a countdown to being given the boot, another shambles like Saturday & he will be gone me thinks, however I think you have to wait until the manager loses the players, don't think we are there yet.
  • Options
    I wasn't there Saturday so didn't see how bad it was. However seeing the result and the recent performances I'd have to say that I'm in the 2-3 games category because we haven't been setting the world alight by any means and a 4-0 home defeat is something that can go two ways.
    It could actually kick the whole team up the jacksie and we finally kick on and go on an unbeaten run and start to play as a team, or it is finally the nail in Parkinson's coffin and the team aren't able to pick themselves up and they go on a run of terrible defeats that can't go on until Christmas because by then the damage will be too great in my opinion.
    I'm not usually one that calls for a managers head an advocates change as I firmly believe the best teams are built on stability but this club has been in decline for far too long now and it's really affecting mine and others enjoyment so something will need to be done if we don't improve and soon.
  • Options
    Parky arrived at the club in January 2007 when we still had four months and a chance of staying in the premier league, as the number 2 he was unable to influence the team or Pardew and we were relegated without much of a fight. In 2008 again as Pardews assistant manager he was unable to influence the team or Pardew to obtain at least a play-off place and we finished 11th. Pardew was fired the following season when we were 3rd from bottom with Parky as number 2, we then finished bottom of the championship with him as manager in 2009. Last season the target was promotion we finished fourth and failed to consolidate a 2-0 home lead against 10-man Swindon and failed to gain promotion. This season has been a shambles.

In Curbs last year we finished 13th in the overall pyramid. Since Parky' joined the club we have finished 19th, 30th, 44th, 48th and this season ??? So he has failed to contribute to any success whatsover. Year-on -Year we have been declining relentlessy without a blip. The quality of football is terrible as is the decline. Put him on gardening leave give him his monthly salary until June and try someone else, could it really get much worse without Parky??
  • Options
    He for sure deserves 2-3 more games, if all is bad still.. then he goes!!!
  • Options
    I don't think any of the poll options sum up the opinion I have.

We simply cannot get rid of Parky unless there is a better alternative. So putting a timeline on it is something I can't do. We need someone who will get us playing a different brand of football, like Poyet, Sean O'Driscoll, Nigel Adkins, Martinez, Howe, Clark etc. I'm not saying any of those are possible, just examples of the sort of manager we want to go for- someone who would come in and shake the foundations a bit. There's no point in getting someone in like Martin Allen who would do a lot of shouting but doesn't have any more tactical acumen than Parky as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Agree that Parky should have gone with Pardew.

With the talent he had last year within this league we limped into the play offs, losing games to lower league teams, if we would have won againest the likes of Orient and Brighton to name but two we would have pretty much have been there.
    Losing shamefully to Northwich on national television as well as Millwall at a crucial time in the season to your local rivals would also suggest his motivational skills are somewhat questionable.

IMO his a man who wants a job and we are a club who wants a manager on the cheap, a perfect marriage.

The damage should we not take action within the next week is that we could find ourselves slipping as we were two seasons ago, we cannot and should not replace him with the current management it does need a management team with fresh ideas, where players will try an extra 15% in training and on the pitch to impress the new management team, and a manager who wants to prove to the football world that he can do a good job.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    RM isn't going to be immune to market pressures, he's just lost another lot of supporters and they are not the fickle hot heads, but patient and understanding ones. RM can't risk another relegation but whatever he does will involve a gamble. Maybe RM has a Plan B already in place, if so, go for it immediately. I'm a Parky supporter, and love him in every respect other than the inescapable fact that he is not getting the results, but more crucially for me, shows no sign that he is going to be able to turn it around. It just can't carry on like this, and I now believe that Parky has to go, but the last thing I want to to see is yet another panicky and ill considered change. I'm left with vague hopes that RM has some decent advisors around him. Give Parky a few more games, whilst making plans for change. If the next few results and performances don't visibly improve, implement Plan B. If there's no coherent Plan B, well, we're stuck with doing the best we can with what we've got.