Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky (and Murray) - Take Note!

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson has confirmed that Gordon Strachan resigned and left the club without any compensation.

"It is a sad day, Gordon worked very hard for the club, but he would be first to admit things have not worked out as we hoped," said Gibson.

"Today Gordon met with me, we had a long discussion and in that debate he offered his resignation and I accepted it.

"He is a man of massive integrity, very hard-working and cared deeply for this club. We gave him many sleepless nights and I know he gave it his best, but sometimes circumstances dictate that it just doesn't work.

"Gordon is a rare guy, I like him enormously, but it just didn't work and the integrity he has shown made life very easy for me.

"He tore up his contract and sought no compensation, he walked away from the club with empty hands. He left without any compensation whatsoever.

"We felt it was in the best interest of the football club at this time, he didn't need to be shoved - he walked."

Source: SKY SPORTS

Well Phil?

Comments

• Options
    I think the difference between their situation and our's is financial based. While Parkinson will have more money than the majority (if not all) of us, Strachan's career would have earned him a whole lot more. Also, Strachan's significantly more employable than Parkinson for another club, making it less of a risk resigning without a pay-off for him, than it is for Parkinson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AidenTheAddick[/cite]I think the difference between their situation and our's is financial based. While Parkinson will have more money than the majority (if not all) of us, Strachan's career would have earned him a whole lot more. Also, Strachan's significantly more employable than Parkinson for another club, making it less of a risk resigning without a pay-off for him, than it is for Parkinson.

Fair enough, but the point I am trying to make is that most Charlton fans seem to think PP is a decent sort of bloke. Well hopefully we will find out soon enough if he has the same integrity as Strachan. We had to pay off our last 2 managers after all! C'mon Phil do the right thang!
  • Options
    He's already said he won't resign. If he does it'll take a few more defeats for him to change his mind I'd imagine. By then he might be sacked anyway.
  • Options
    which other club will parky get the same amount of money from? if he left us now hed end up at some league 2 side on half the money hed b a fool to resign
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]which other club will parky get the same amount of money from? if he left us now hed end up at some league 2 side on half the money hed b a fool to resign

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. While I believe he's a nice enough bloke to resign, it wouldn't make sense for him to do so in terms of his personal interests and would be quite a risk.
  • Options
    we should get strachan then cos he's bound to fark up here like every other doughnut since curbs left and at least he'd walk away from us before he could do too much damage and not screw us for compensation
  • Options
    Whilst I would love for Parky to go I don't think it's fair to expect him to walk away with no money. He's performed his job to the best of his (sadly limited) ability and is fully entitled to the contract that the club decided to offer him. Had he been a roaring success with other clubs chasing him then we'd have been entitled to some compensation if he chose to go elsewhere, but since the reverse is true and (if) the club no longer require his services then he is entitled to the money IMO.

Also I suspect that league one managers are not on a tremendously high salary. I heard around £70k p.a.

Gordon Strachan would have already been an exceedingly wealthy man before he even started his managerial career so he's long past the point where he's needed to work for money. Parky will most certainly have to work for the foreseeable future.

Some people can afford to have integrity whilst others can't.
  • Options
    parky was taken on whilst we were in the premiership and he turned down the huddersfield job cos we offered more money
    he's been an expensive flop
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't given a rise for taking the job from Pardew and in all possibility his contract extension may have even seen him take a pay cut. I stand to be corrected but I think Huddersfield were league one at the time so that suggests their offer may have been on the low side.
  • Options
    I doubt Parky is on a premiership contract though.

His deal was for a year - and has around 9/10 months left, that's hardly onerous and we should bear in mind that s far as we know he avoided the temptation to apply for other jobs that might have been offering a two or three year deal. He's been loyal to us - the least the club can do is be fair to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I doubt Parky is on a premiership contract though.

Yorkshire Post

Huddersfield called a press conference for Wednesday at 9.30am but, as exclusively revealed in that morning's Yorkshire Post, the deal had been thrown into doubt by Charlton offering Parkinson a lucrative new three-year deal.
  • Options
    ok well parky might not have been the cheap option that everyone has been proclaiming for 2 years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I doubt Parky is on a premiership contract though.

Yorkshire Post

Huddersfield called a press conference for Wednesday at 9.30am but, as exclusively revealed in that morning's Yorkshire Post, the deal had been thrown into doubtby Charlton offering Parkinson a lucrative new three-year deal.

Is the Yorkshire Post the definitive newspaper of record for all things related to Charlton?

As far as I know Parky is currently on the second of two one year deals.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That story has all the hallmarks of a line invented to back out of a verbal agreement.

Parky's new contract in 2009
  • Options
    Id love to get strachen in....

anyone who has had success previously ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Id love to get strachen in....

anyone who has had success previously ....

Were you dropped on your head? Strachan is hopeless, rude and a twat of the highest order. I would return my season ticket if he came to us
  • Options
    Anyone.......

megson even, he kept bolton up, couldnt give a stuff just want someone that has managed relatively successfull y elsewhere at a decent level...

Strachen did well at southampton for a while.

I DONT CARE WHO IT IS!

I just want someone, anyone to get the club off life support...
  • Options
    I wonder if Parkys 'unbelievable offer' to stay at Charlton was not so much money, but a promise of a stab at the managers job if Pardew left....?!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Anyone.......

megson even, he kept bolton up, couldnt give a stuff just want someone that has managed relatively successfull y elsewhere at a decent level...

I DONT CARE WHO IT IS!

i feel bad now because you sound like me, i fear i may have rubbed off on you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "However, the lure of working with Alan Pardew"
    The fking alarm bells should have been going off then.
    "there is a real buzz about the club at present"
    That's the sound of the foundations giving way
    And Charlton plc chairman Richard Murray said: "While Alan Pardew has done a fantastic job and grabbed most of the headlines, the role played by Phil since he joined the club in January shouldn't be under-estimated.
    No chance of that, now, Dickie, it'll go down in history.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Anyone.......

I DONT CARE WHO IT IS!

You'll care who it is if it's someone who doesn't make us any better. Or even worse.
  • Options
    He won't resign now and i don't blame him but in 5ish games time i think he'll do the honourable thing.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]I wonder if Parkys 'unbelievable offer' to stay at Charlton was not so much money, but a promise of a stab at the managers job if Pardew left....?!![/quote]

That's exactly what I heard, that there was an agreement between him parkinson and Murrey that, parkinson would be guarenteed the job when pardew went.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My heart is bleeding for Phil Parkinson: "A nice bloke trying to earn a wage" ; "Might only be on about £70,000 per year" some have said.

Well then lets give him longer to screw us up then. Do you all realise that a lot of staff/players at Charlton have already lost their jobs and more will follow soon if this dire situation continues.

We are in a recession and the nice hard working customers, some of who are only on about £10,000 to 20,0000 per year are still paying their good money to see what exactly? In addition, a lot of fans have just had written off their shares in the club by Richard Murray.

But, NO, lets all feel sorry for Phil Parkinson who has had plenty of time now to shake off the Dowie/Pardew era and gel his team his way = his cock-up = See ya!

If Parkinson is the man we think he is then he should too follow Strachans lead/example in this difficult time and be honorable. I suspect, in 2 weeks time against Sheff Weds he is so going to wish he had done so, if he hasn't before. I am dreading the atmosphere for that game, it is going to be horrible, very bad times.

This Charlton team with this Charlton manager will not bounce back from the Brighton result with 3 straight wins you know! To all the people saying 2-3 games more: Do you really believe that we are going to see a dramatic difference when the whole team and coaching staff must all be at their lowest point now in terms of confidence and team spirit? Perhaps then you will be happy with 3 straight draws? How about 2 draws and 1 loss? How about then 1 draw and 2 losses? Where do we draw this line before it is too late?
  • Options
    good post Red5. Agree totally.
  • Options
    There's a famous baseball quote, "Believe what you want, no manager ever resigns."
  • Options
    Parky said in the press conference audio that he would not resign. And Strachan can chalk this failure off. Where as Parky will have one successs and two failures to his name.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]Parky said in the press conference audio that he would not resign. And Strachan can chalk this failure off. Where as Parky will have one successs and two failures to his name.

Shame really - oh well!

See ya Phil, seems a nice enough bloke but just not nearly good enough unfortunately.

I'm edging my bets that if he doesn't walk before/after this weekend (Carlisle) he will the week after (Sheff Weds) and it will be a lot harder on him (in the long run).
  • Options
    Managers certianly don't quit (IMHO) after an away game.

Sheffield will be the crunch game. Fans wont just leave early if that game goes the same way (and its fortunate that its a similar level test) they will get as far as the car park and camp out there.