Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best midfield pairing?

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Well if Semedo and Racon aren't getting rings run around them they are going missing. So what i suggest is the following - Martin and Semedo in the middle with Semedo not being allowed past the half way line. I feel with a player like Martin that is so comfortable on the ball, why not try and play through him? We know he will work his bollocks off, we know he will get forward. The only downside is his strengh, but hopefully Semedo will step up and counter-act this. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I would like to see Semedo holding deep and Martin playing just behind the strikers. Even stick Racon / Jackson in there if your playing 5. Not going to happen for a while though with Reid out, think Martin will get the nod before Wagstaff.
  • Options
    Bad idea IMO as Martin is a winger and what with reids injury we need one of those.

All I can see working is a return to 4-5-1. I'd also be thinking does Warner deserve a go in the sticks as fattie Elliott is doing v.little to suggest he should be in goal, though warner is limited in experience? Again I'd be thinking Doherty at CB? No ta get Dailly and fortune working together. You know what I'd go with this:

warner/Elliott
    Francis---Dailly---Fortune---Fry
    Wagstaff-Semedo-Jackson-Martin
    Racon
    Benson
  • Options
    Few options would be to put McCormack back in.

Another option worth a go might be to play a diamond with Semedo holding and Racon further up the pitch, Semedo is better in our own half and Racon would probably be more effective more advanced.

Or even start Jackson/McCormack in the middle.
    Elliot
    Solly
    Fortune----Dailly----Fry
    Semedo
    Wagstaff
    Jackson
    Racon

Ayinsah
    Benson/Sodje
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    McCormack and Semedo.

The type of crap football we play bypasses our midfield anyway, so we may aswell just have two battlers in there to try and combat the opposition.
  • Options
    McCormack / Semedo

Opponents are playing through us too easily at the moment. We need to block up the central areas and become difficult to play against, especially with 2 wingers in the line-up. Racon wanders off leaving Semedo in 2 v 1 situations, which with the 2 wingers pushing-on or staying wide, leaves a big hole in midfield. Brighton capitalised to the maximum.
    Parky will probably go with 4-5-1 on Saturday anyway, he cannot afford another defeat. 4-4-2 will be very brave after last Saturday. A loss at Carlisle will put him in the last chance saloon for Wednesday at home, (if he is still the manager by then).
  • Options
    McCormack and Jackson - Give Semedo and Racon a Long rest.
  • Options
    Lampard & Gerrard would struggle to have an impact with our shape/system. Let's wait until Parky gets the inevitable push and judge them when a new manager has been able to get the team to advance and retreat as a unit.
  • Options
    4-4-2 the middle pair should be Semedo and Jackson with Wagstaff and Martin wide

4-5-1 the middle trio should be Semedo / McCormack / Jackson with Wagstaff and Martin as advanced wingers supporting the lone striker

Quite frankly I've had enough of Racon, at least in theory I can see what the other three offer to the team
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd still love to see our best finisher (in my opinion) , Wagstaff played up top with Benson.

Elliot

Jackson Fortune Dailly Francis

Semedo Racon

Martin

Wagstaff Benson Ayinsah

Semedo and Racon winning the ball and not venturing forward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Well if Semedo and Racon aren't getting rings run around them they are going missing. So what i suggest is the following - Martin and Semedo in the middle with Semedo not being allowed past the half way line. I feel with a player like Martin that is so comfortable on the ball, why not try and play through him? We know he will work his bollocks off, we know he will get forward. The only downside is his strengh, but hopefully Semedo will step up and counter-act this. Thoughts?

Agree completely. I've been suggesting this for a while. Get Martin in the middle - probably our most gifted player and he'd see a lot more of the ball so wouldn't over do things so much when he gets it. Of course we may lose something defensively but who cares compared to what we may gain. We need a football brain, a conductor ion the middle to start running things and i think he is our only hope. It could well flop but it's worth a try. I think Parky has deliberately tried to give Racon and Semedo a chance to get settled in there but it ain't going to work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My theory.

I think 4-5-1 is the way forward; Semedo in his natural role is awesome but his attempts to complement Racon aren't working this season. Jackson and McCormack, two more (dare I say it?) "Bailey-like" players would suit his combative style more. In my humble opinion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]4-4-2 the middle pair should be Semedo and Jackson with Wagstaff and Martin wide

4-5-1 the middle trio should be Semedo / McCormack / Jackson with Wagstaff and Martin as advanced wingers supporting the lone striker

Quite frankly I've had enough of Racon, at least in theory I can see what the other three offer to the team

I'm with you.

In fact I was there last season. What a shame we saw so little of Jonjo Shelvey because we persisted with an indifferent Racon.

Parky may have been under orders to wrap Jonjo in cotton wool for financial reasons given the subsequent Liverpool deal I suppose but I can see no other reason for leaving him out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]We need a football brain
    Don't disagree, but unfortunately a football brain is what Martin seems to lack. Don't think he offers a great deal through the middle.

Perhaps he would be better behind two strikers than in a 4-4-1-1, just to have another option ahead of him. So a diamond midfield then.

Martin has always looked better out wide to me, just gets more space and his lack of strength is less of an issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The only thing I am certain of is for Racon to be dropped altogether, this is not a knee jerk reaction. I couldn't see what he brought to the table last season even. He cannot shoot, his passes are usually always misplaced, underhit, overhit or off the radar altogether and he sulks too much and gets caught out of position all the time.

I think we need to get away from 4-4-2 altogether - what is the point in 2 frontmen who never get enough service anyway? Although I would love to see Wagstaff or Martin playing upfront just to see if anything exciting happens!

I'd like to see us revert to 4-5-1 with:

Worner (Can't see why he was dropped for Elliot who still doesn't convince me)
    Francis Dailly Fortune Fry (Docherty out - too many mistakes - would rather Llera played)
    Semedo (In his own role doing what he does best - breaking up opponent attack and feeding the midfield/wings)
    Wagstaff McCormack Jackson Martin
    Benson
  • Options
    Preffered postion or not, Jackson is a better defender than anywhere else.
  • Options
    Problem Martin has is although he has skill to run at defenders he never looks up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Problem Martin has is although he has skill to run at defenders he never looks up

But when he does it normally ends up in the goal ala Waggy against Orient and Ayinsah against that 2 bob side at home..

Worth a chance i feel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Preffered postion or not, Jackson is a better defender than anywhere else.

I thought he is supposed to have done a very good job at Spurs in the Premiership in midfield, according to Spurs fans anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Preffered postion or not, Jackson is a better defender than anywhere else.

I'm not convinced that is true.

He played (admittedly not that often) in midfield for Spurs in the premiership.

He also played, rather more often, midfield for Colchester in the championship.
  • Options
    Back in the day yes. Now his mind and legs are slow, as pointed out by most Notts fans. Don't see what difference he would bring to the side when played in the middle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

I'm not convinced that is true.

He played (admittedly not that often) in midfield for Spurs in the premiership.

He also played, rather more often, midfield for Colchester in the championship.

He can play attacking left midfield too.

With that versatility Fry has to come back to left back allowing Jackson into the midfield/left wing position
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Back in the day yes. Now his mind and legs are slow, as pointed out by most Notts fans. Don't see what difference he would bring to the side when played in the middle.

Hopefully 90 minutes of effort rather than the hit and miss efforts of Racon. His experience defensively means he can put a foot in and thus offer support to Semedo. He can pick a pass and also has a hell of a shot on him which we saw at The Valley when he scored for Spurs!

We are finding goals hard enough to come by. If Jacko can get into more advanced positions it might offer more goalscoring opportunities. He scored against Dagenham and Redbridge don't forget.

In any event Racon certainly isn't doing it.
  • Options
    We need Jackson to go CM / LM now while Reid is out injured unless we can pick up another wide Left sided player on loan to fill the void.

Much has been made of balance in the squad , Jackson is a versatile left footer so would be needed up pitch if Reid is out but not necessarily as a winger. If we were to play a Right footer like Martin or Waggy on the left then it would be useful to have one of our CM's to be left footed.

I've admired Jackson for years as a midfielder and felt we should have gone for him when Andy Reid left . He is not a Full Back and I was surprised when we signed him as one last year although mostly I think he has been competent there.
  • Options
    -------------warner
    Francis---Dailly---Fortune---Fry
    Wagstaff-Semedo-Jackson-Martin
    ---------------Racon
    --------------Anyinsah

Thats the 1 for me!
  • Options
    Dont be silly we let too many goals we need to null the other team whilst also pose a threat its got to be

RE

SF CD JF MF
    AM JS JJ
    LM PB KR(when fit) PA

A 4 - 3- 3 with lots defensive midifeld but a real three up top pushing on we need to dominate
  • Options
    Why are people suggesting Racon in an advanced position behind the frontman: I don't get that.

What has Racon ever shown in the way of going passed players/shooting/having an eye foir goal/attack that could possibly warrant that?

Am I missing something here? I could understand a case for Wagstaff or Martin in that position, but Racon: Non non non non non!
  • Options
    4-5-1
    Semedo, Racon, McCormack

Benson lone striker
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Why are people suggesting Racon in an advanced position behind the frontman: I don't get that.

What has Racon ever shown in the way of going passed players/shooting/having an eye foir goal/attack that could possibly warrant that?

Am I missing something here? I could understand a case for Wagstaff or Martin in that position, but Racon: Non non non non non!
    Agree I don't think it would suit him at all. He's not a creative playmaking type or a real goal threat.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If Parky puts Semdo and Jacskon as our Midfield pairing, i have lost all hope. Would rather have Semedo with a more hungry youngster beside him. Jackson on the wing, yeah i could deal with that, but so far with us he has been a good solid defender.
  • Options
    The midfield gets over-run because there is too much distance between the defence and attack and wingers defend too wide, hence too much ground for CM to cover. Nought to do with the personnel involved.