Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kyel Reid on Parky

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
By John Stanton
KYEL Reid has launched a robust defence of manager Phil Parkinson and insists the Charlton players are the ones to blame for Saturday’s 4-0 defeat to Brighton.

The winger, who will miss the next month because of an ankle injury picked up during the game, has revealed the squad and coaching staff held talks this week to discuss where they have been going wrong.

And Reid is adamant that the players must shoulder the responsibility for the below-par showing.

“We’ve all sat down since Saturday and gone through what we think we need to do as a team to improve,” said Reid.

“We’re all good players but we need to find that team spirit and it’s important that we come out fighting. We’ve been working really hard in training this week and we’ve been focusing on bonding ourselves together.

“Everyone had a chance to speak up and say what they thought was going right and what was going wrong. It wasn’t about blaming individuals, but looking at what the whole team can do better to move forward.
“We’re all at fault and we all need to work hard to make amends for it.
“I believe we have the right players and the right manager - it’s just about the ones who are selected going out on the pitch doing themselves justice.

“Not one player is doubting the gaffer. He’s one of the best I’ve worked under and we all love him.

“He has our 100 per cent support and the players will be trying to turn it around for him because he deserves more than we gave on Saturday.

“That result was not acceptable and we need to put it behind us.

“We felt that we let everyone down. Brighton are a decent side but we shouldn’t be losing like that at home. On Saturday the team will be ready and I can’t see us not getting a result at Carlisle.”

Comments

• Options
    "On Saturday the team will be ready and I can’t see us not getting a result at Carlisle"

I can.

Hope he is right as it's a long way to go to see a defeat.
  • Options
    bold statement his last one !, they'd better turn in a performance now...
  • Options
    Well, it doesn't mean anything really. Managers (on their way out) usually get the (dreaded) backing of the board or players.

He's hardly going to come out and say PP is rubbish and we all want a new manager.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Well, it doesn't mean anything really. Managers (on their way out) usually get the (dreaded) backing of the board or players.

He's hardly going to come out and say PP is rubbish and we all want a new manager.
    Well Matt Holland, known as a good pro, wouldn't even comment on Les Reed when Sky went up to him after we lost away at Boro. That was in front of the cameras, would have been easy for him to say they were all behind Reed.

Maybe some players do have issues with Parky, but Reid wouldn't have signed for us if he did.

Saturday is going to be interesting. Not often so many fans are expecting us to lose the next two or three games.
  • Options
    Maybe the fact that "we all love him" is the problem. Do you think all the Real players love Mourinho? Utd players love Fergie? No doubt he's a nice bloke but maybe sometimes a bit of steel is needed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I can’t see us not getting a result at Carlisle.”

Oh dear....
  • Options
    So Parky is a good manager (best Reid has played under) and " we are all good players" well that's a huge relief. There was me thinking we are shite.
  • Options
    all that has done is heaped more pressure on them to get a result and a performance. If they have had a clear the air and things don't improve then that is an indictment on Parky's management.
  • Options
    In all fairness, Reid hasn't "played" under many other managers! I think the only manager he's consistently been selected by was Simon Davey and he just got the tin tack from Hereford if that's the benchmark! There may be an element still of being grateful for the opportunity.
  • Options
    Reid won't be playing for the rest of the season or a long time anyway so I'm not sure I give his views much credence at present.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strange comment. What have they got to love him for? Win bonuses, trophies, raising their profiles, or perhaps they just thoroughly enjoy playing his brand of dour football.
    More likely they love him because he's a really nice chap who never shouts at them and doesn't even drop them when they've turned in one terrible performance after another.
  • Options
    I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting, I wonder what the players identified as the problems the team see as holding us back.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Maybe the fact that "we all love him" is the problem. Do you think all the Real players love Mourinho? Utd players love Fergie? No doubt he's a nice bloke but maybe sometimes a bit of steel is needed.

On Mourinho, the Chelsea and Inter players who had him as boss purr about him like love sick children, as do most United players about Fergie, even Beckham
  • Options
    Keep the faith............PMA
  • Options
    I think people are being a bit negative about this. Wouldn't be surprised if Murray, keen to try and remove some pressure from the manager, encouraged arguably our most popular player at the moment to make such a statement. After a result like Saturday's I find it mildly reassuring to know that some form of inquest has taken place and think it makes a pleasant change for someone to be willing to put their neck on the line regarding next weekend's result. Admittedly the significance of the "I can’t see us not getting a result at Carlisle" comment is diluted significantly by the fact that he won't be playing.
  • Options
    This article has started to make me believe that Parky should actually stay and that we should all be mates through good times and bad times. Perhaps the players, management and fans should swap phone numbers and we can all be united. After all, we're all in this together!
  • Options
    We know Parky is a decent/nice bloke. We also know that players get on with him. I wish he was a bit more imaginative and less cautious tactically. I still think he could be a good manager for us but time is running out - we need to see a reaction from him following Saturday as well as the players. I was happy enough after Plymouth as we deserved more - they scored a goal you can't do much about- Disapointing we started so slow though - I want to see us deserving our wins and being unlucky when we don't win. This will mean we are going to do well this season. At the moment we have been lucky with a significant percenatge of our wins and can have no real complaints about our defeats. This has to change and the solution is to create more - this can only be done by changing our tactics a bit IMO.
  • Options
    If the players are backing him (admittedly this is only one players view) then they better put in a good performance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite] At the moment we have been lucky with a significant percenatge of our wins and can have no real complaints about our defeats.

agreed. we could/should be in a worse position now than we actually are. You cannot make an arguement for us being higher in the table.
  • Options
    Define "result"...

Without wishing to be cynical but a press story where a player supports the manager who signed him isn't unknown, but what else could he say?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we would all moan if there was nothing coming out of the club, so it just shows how they can't win. A player comes out saying they have been reflecting on what isn't going well (everything) and they're behind the manager, and then people moan about him putting extra pressure on the team!

I agree tactics played a massive part in our loss at the weekend, but i can't see Greg Abbott coming out with some suprising tactical master peice on Saturday.
  • Options
    I think he's pretty much removed any credibility from his statement with that last comment.
  • Options
    Tactics have played a part in all of our disapointing games - most of them including some wins. What are the problems? - Defence conceeding soft goals, Not scoring enough goals/creating enough. What is the hardest to put right. I think the latter but Parky seems to only be interested in the former. Is it unreasonable to expect to be dominating games against teams with lesser resources than us? I don't think so.

Before playing Brentford who were bottom of the league- Parky said he told the players to expect a very tough game and was angry that they had not heeded his words. I would suggest that rather than big limited opponents up, he should treat them with disdain. He should have ordered his troops to crush them from the off. I'm sure he succeeded in installing too much respect for our opponents.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Madz[/cite]If the players are backing him (admittedly this is only one players view) then they better put in a good performance.
    It is not that long ago that christian dailly was effusive in his praise for parkie, more than was necessary for a loyal player, to fans.
    However, it does not matter how respected you are as a manager by your playrrs, this is aresults business and at some stage, based on results, murray will make a decision.
  • Options
    At the end of the day it's the Manager on the side lines who makes the calls and changes things around if it's not working. However good and experienced the players are they usually can't see the big picture enough to adjust things and it's not their responsibility anyway. The buck stops with Parky whatever the players say.
  • Options
    & Benson on The Troubling Situation;-

When you're winning and scoring goals, you don't really get many phone calls from your friends in football, but if you lose 4-0, you'll get loads.

Unfortunately, my phone never stopped ringing last Saturday after we'd been beaten at home by Brighton.

The last thing you want to do after a result like that is chat about it but rather than turn off the phone, it's important to grit your teeth and take the calls. My old manager at Dagenham, John Still, used to tell us never to get too high or too low, which was great advice.

It's not that your fellow players are taking the Mickey, either. They've just seen the result and are interested to know what went wrong and how it came about.

I was telling them that I didn't think we'd played that badly, which might sound strange. Of course, we didn't play well but I thought we played worse against Notts County earlier in the season and we won 1-0.

At the moment, the problem is our decision making; knowing when to hit the ball long and when to pass it short. We're not always doing the right thing at the right time but I feel we're so close to getting it right. We're not quite there but I can see it clicking soon.

After the Brighton game, I expected a rocket from our manager Phil Parkinson but it didn't really happen. His style was to think carefully about what he was going to say next and speak in a reserved and measured manner, which worked just as well as if he'd been shouting and hollering.

He made us feel as though we'd let him
    down and that he was disappointed in us, so it had just as good an effect as throwing teacups would have had.

When you have a result like that, you probably think about it that evening and then forget about it, which is pretty much what the manager has done. With a six-hour coach journey to Carlisle tomorrow, we all need to find ways of passing the time but I wouldn't recommend dwelling on the Brighton game.

I like to keep my mind active on away trips so I'll probably play Tiger Woods PGA Tour and other computer games on my iPhone. A few of the boys like to play Mario Kart and have a tournament going, which always kills a couple of hours and our forward, Akpo Sodje, surprised me when I saw the box set of the BBC drama The Tudors on his seat.

It's the last thing I expected Akpo to be watching, because he's never given any impression of being interested in history. Perhaps he'll soon be giving us lectures about Henry VIII and his six wives before training. Or maybe not.

When we get to the hotel, Akpo will have to tear himself away from tales of Tudor England because we all usually have a swim and a warm down before having our evening meal together. Then, it's time for bed.

You can pay £50 to have your own room on away trips but I'm tight, so I share with another forward, Pawel Abbott. Luckily for me, Paw doesn't snore and he goes to bed at a reasonable hour, so he's no problem.

I've had a couple of bad room-mates in my time, such as one who woke me up at 2.30am because he was having a shower. He'd go to sleep, wake up, decide he needed a shower and then go back to bed. Bizarre.

At Carlisle, the key is to put in a performance for 90 minutes. We've put in a couple of 45s where we've looked good but we have to do that over the whole game on Saturday.
  • Options
    Parky is considered to be ultra cautious by many and defensive in his approach.

Therefore can someone please explain to me why we leave opposition players totally unmarked on the edge of our penalty area at corners.

We had 11 players withdrawn in the box yet we still allowed this to happen against Brighton (first goal conceded) then a couple of minutes later the same thing happened and we got away with it as the blokes shot just off target.

This simple non-defending trait has been with us since Curbs left and very prevalent under Pardew and still very much in stilled under Parky.
  • Options
    I find peoples opinions about Parky a bit puzzling. Lets get one thing clear, none of us know what is said to the players in the dressing room,so how do we know he doesnt shout? None of us are down the training ground so how do we know what his methods are? All this is supposition,we basically don't know what goes on behind the scenes but it doesnt stop people presenting heresay as fact. Here's a radical conclusion, could it be that we have an average/poor band of first division footballers who are where they should be?
    I have been supporting Charlton for 49 years, we have always had average and sometimes poor players mixed in with the good.I have to say this is, with about 4 or 5 exceptions the poorest bunch that i have seen.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    “We’ve all sat down since Saturday and gone through what we think we need to do as a team to improve,” said Reid.

“We’re all good players but we need to find that team spirit and it’s important that we come out fighting. We’ve been working really hard in training this week and we’ve been focusing on bonding ourselves together.

This part of the interview concerns me the most, why now 12 games in are they still trying to "find that team spirit"? Surely after a pre-season for most of them and the aforesaid 12 games, not to menton training together every bloody day of the week are they still trying and focusing on bonding together??

They are team, a squad, and they SHOULD be playing for each other and the club, not still trying to find a team spirit for gods sake......!!!
  • Options
    Akpo Sodje, surprised me when I saw the box set of the BBC drama The Tudors on his seat.

It's the last thing I expected Akpo to be watching, because he's never given any impression of being interested in history. Perhaps he'll soon be giving us lectures about Henry VIII and his six wives before training. Or maybe not.

Is this for real? this has got to be the funniest windup ever!