Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy Day

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
I know that the Sheffield Wednesday game will be uppermost in people's minds on Sat Oct 30th but it would be great if as many people as possible could also come along to Sparrows Lane to see the U18s play West Ham. It starts at 10.30. It's a special day for the whole of the Academy from 9 year olds upwards who will later be at The Valley to show their skills and it would be a big boost to the whole event if a lot of positive support could be given to the U18s. This is the group who recently beat the Arsenal U18s 1-3 . There are some really promising players in the squad and the football is usually very entertaining. Also, in the light of some of the debate on CL recently, it's a chance to see a Damian Matthew-trained team in action.

Comments

• Options
    Great idea. I will go. It will be refreshing to see a team play without inhibitions. It also looks like the club are making an attempt, at last, to raise the profile of the whole academy and not just the U18's. I'm pleased they are making a whole day of it. It will be good for the youngsters to be a focal point at The Valley and it will be good for the fans to learn more about the academy and the work, time and money that goes into it.
  • Options
    Standby, this is my first ever posting - I read the site often, as my son plays for the academy set up.
    Basically I wanted to try and generate some more awareness and support to the original post. In short the academy needs valuable funds to help continue their success. The purpose of academy day is to hopefully bring much needed sponsorship to the academy. The standard of coaching at the Charlton academy continues to strive to be one of the best in the country, however they are now doing this to a ridiculous shoestring budget with limited facilities, resources and kit for the boys. It is fantastic that the Academy day has been agreed by the club and to me its a perfect game to launch it. I would just like to ask those who regularly contribute their hard earned cash and time to watch Charlton to equally think how they or someone they know may be wanting an opportunity to financially support the academy. Sorry but we desperately need your help!
  • Options
    Just wanted to promote this article and the support we need from the valley fathful uppermost in everyones minds. It so important the academy stay's successful and we need your help to do that.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36856&newstype=y
  • Options
    It has been a while since I used to regularly attend the youth matches at Sparrows Lane, always really enjoyed it down there.....especially watching the young Richard Rufus/Linvoy Primus pairing. The people at the academy are heroes actually, and if they're unsung, then I suppose Saturday is a chance to let them sing out loud and for all who attend to hear it.
    I hear we have some good uns coming through not just England internationals Poyet and Captain Cousins.
  • Options
    I was already planning to go as I really enjoy these games and I too was part of the academy nearly 20 years ago

Our academy is a superb environment for these lads and something we should be hugely proud of - I really hope this can continue and wonder if there's anything we as Lifers could do?
  • Options
    Welcome SJFC, great post. Hope there's a great turnout.
  • Options
    Swisdom is at the game and updating on twitter (@awoogatron), went in at half time 2-0 up.
  • Options
    4.0 - Good result for the boys!
  • Options
    it was men against boys!