Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players that made little impact but played over 100 games

Most of the players who have played more than 100 games are pretty decent footballers. There's a few I would query:

Fred Lucas
Darren Ambrose
Peter Shaw
Lloyd Sam

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I think that is a bit harsh on Lloyd Sam. He should've scored more goals, but he set up a fair few, and was the best crosser of the ball we've had in the last 2 years (not that he's had much competition).

Jerome Thomas is a more worthy candidate to this list, who just makes it in with 103 appearances.
  • Options
    Kim Grant (although many of his appearances were as a substitute if memory serves me right)

Lawrie Madden was willing but didn't pull up any trees

Matt Holland see Lawrie Madden *dons tin hat!*

Brian Tocknell In fairness I was young when I saw him so perhaps I didn't fully appreciate his qualities but he always seemed pretty anonymous as far as I recall.

Has Racon played 100 games yet?
  • Options
    Steve Gritt?

Jon Fortune?

Les Berry?

They were/are all "alright" but possibly not much more.
  • Options
    Matt Holland.
  • Options
    Holland was captain and played the whole season in our best prem finish (7th), mostly playing out of position on the right, that is some impact. Won us games that season (Birmingham away, middlesbrough at home) also scored a great header vs Chelsea too to put us 2-1 (finished 4-2).
    Was our best player in 2007/08 (wasnt hard i admit) and didnt have a chance in 08/09 as the whole team was poor.
  • Options
    Holland's probably my least favourite player in the modern era, but for the reasons that ISPP lists you can't say he didn't have an impact.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Brian Tocknell In fairness I was young when I saw him so perhaps I didn't fully appreciate his qualities but he always seemed pretty anonymous as far as I recall.
    My memory of Brian Tocknell is not doing much. I never rated Phil Warman much either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Steve Gritt?

Jon Fortune?

Les Berry?

Steve Gritt?? Sacrilege.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Steve Gritt?

Jon Fortune?

Les Berry?

This thread poses a tough question but I think all 3 of those named made an impact even if not always for the "right" reasons.

Steve Gritt - that iconic picture of him in his blue shirt shattered having given absolutely everything in the St Andrews play-off final

Jon Fortune- sent the Palace down

Les Berry - defensive howlers and clearances into Floyd Road aplenty over close on 400 games but my abiding memory is the FA Cup game against Ipswich where Les bust a gut to get back and tackled Eric Gates way outside the penalty area. Gates leaped like a salmon into the penalty area and an incompetent ref gave it. 3-2 Ipswich and a courageous cup battle ended in disappointment.
  • Options
    Leaburn
    Kishishev
    Thomas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]Leaburn
    Kishishev
    Thomas

Kishishev certainly made an impact on Saturday!
  • Options
    Holland !!!!!! *shakes head*..........twice the player Kish was
  • Options
    Konchesky, Ambrose, Shaun Newton, Euell (one great season, then anonymous until he left) Lisbie
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Konchesky, Ambrose, Shaun Newton, Euell (one great season, then anonymous until he left) Lisbie[/quote]

Euell was out top scorer for 3 seasons in a row I believe.

Holland was the most ineffective player I've ever seen. Lots of running, naff all end product. How he played as many games as he did still amazes me.
  • Options
    YTSYTS
    edited October 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Holland's probably my least favourite player in the modern era, but for the reasons that ISPP lists you can't say he didn't have an impact.[/quote]

Speachless. There are surely a few more deserving candidiates for least favourit of the modern era than Holland?!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm almost there with McLovin on Holland, he was a real example of my ennui towards football in that era. But the main issue I have with any player is lack of effort, so he'll go nowhere near a Lee Bradbury shit bucket for me. Otherwise Keith Jones'd be in it as he always frustrated me with his awful passing, but gee I'd swap him for Semedo or any of our other midfielders these days.

Phill Chapple. Disgusted that Curbs towards the end consistently picked him ahead of Balmer, who was so much better they should have played on different continents.

Alan McLeary, not a hundred games, but having to watch him after Linvoy Primus proved himself better in about every department against Brum was torture.

Paul Konchesky, such high hopes with his debut against Oxford and then turned into a below average/lazy/surly footballer. When he got beaten by Maybury for pace against an awful Carig Levein Leicester team..... the boy ruined his career through petulant laziness; Maybury was the slowest player I've ever seen at the Valley, and a below av Scot prem player let alone in the champ. How Konch ever got to Liverpool? Oh well he won't be there next season.