Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recession! What bloomin recession

2»

Comments

• Options
    Technically, we're not in a recession B')
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We install new boilers and central heating systems.

We were busy over Christmas and beginning of January but enquiries went totally quiet about a week ago.

Have tried rated people, service-magic and the like but these unfortunately do not favour the small trade companies as they charge you for every lead, or quote you provide to their customer. With so many going for the same job, chances of you getting the job are already slim plus there are people who use the companies just to get an idea of how much some work will cost and have no intention using you.

So next week I'm off posting around Bromley, Eltham and Greenwich. See if I can generate some business. Whisper me if you need a new boiler, will give discounts to lifers !!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: fatboyshort[/cite]We install new boilers and central heating systems.

We were busy over Christmas and beginning of January but enquiries went totally quiet about a week ago.

Have tried rated people, service-magic and the like but these unfortunately do not favour the small trade companies as they charge you for every lead, or quote you provide to[b]their customer[/b]. With so many going for the same job, chances of you getting the job are already slim plus there are people who use the companies just to get an idea of how much some work will cost and have no intention using you.

So next week I'm off posting around Bromley, Eltham and Greenwich. See if I can generate some business. Whisper me if you need a new boiler, will give discounts to lifers !![/quote]

To be honest what ths chap has said!

How about if this site gives fellow lifers on this board a chance with their respective trades to quote for jobs they have coming up?

Just a thought process and for us keeps more Addicks on the seats following the club as these are bloody hard times!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The economy is absolutely fucked. End of story. Get out of trades whilst you still can - just as one example, my mate is an electrician - a bloody good one - and has been for fifteen years. Not only has any work that he had up to the end of the year completely dried up, they've got to contend with 10,000 qualified Irishmen who have turned up since their economy went totally tits-up. Make no mistake about it - anyone who thinks the recession is even close to being over is living in cloud cuckoo land. We'll have three million unemployed within 18 months.
  • Options
    gotta say i agree with you since it started this is going to be the hardest year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]End of story. Get out of trades whilst you still can

And do what? Get into something new that you know f*** all about that is probably over subscribed with foreign applicants.Worrying times indeed.
  • Options
    I am a member of BNI, - Business Networking International. I cannot recommend it high enough. There are over 600 groups in the UK. We have twenty three members in our group. We meet each week, and the sole purpose is to find referrals for our members. We have a builder, painter & decorator, surveyor, plumber, landscaper, window installer, carpet supplier, blind supplier, mechanic, photographer, pest controller, Alarm Supplier, Computer services, florist, IFA, Health & Safety consultant, and well as accountant, solicitor and one or two others.

It works brilliantly. In the last six months alone we have passed well over £100,000 of business between us.

If anybody is interested you can visit the BNI website at BNI Europe

Most BNI groups in the UK are crying out for decent trades like roofers, carpenters, sparks and the like.

Please whisper me if you want any more information.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]anyone who thinks the recession is even close to being over is living in cloud cuckoo land. We'll have three million unemployed within 18 months.
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Technically, we're not in a recession B')
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]anyone who thinks the recession is even close to being over is living in cloud cuckoo land. We'll have three million unemployed within 18 months.
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Technically, we're not in a recession B')
    I don't give a monkeys what anyone says about 'technically' not being in a recession. The 'technicalities' of the economic definition of a recession are not the issue. You cannot possibly look at any country's economy in isolation any more. Globalisation has been the biggest disaster to befall our civilisation - and will eventually spell the end of it.

Starting in Britain:

Nothing is being done anywhere in construction. That pretty much means nothing is being done anywhere of any real consequence. No amount of statistics or media gloss or massaging of figures can hide that from anyone who deals with or services the construction/real estate industry.

In the next year there will be hundreds of thousands of public sector workers out of a job - the private sector cannot (and will not) provide jobs for them. Name me one occasion in history when massive rises in unemployment have coincided with economic prosperity in the western world?

The housing market is still ridiculously overpriced (which is why no-one can get a mortgage without an enormous deposit)

The government have carte blanche to slash even more off public services - the NHS will be abolished in all but name within the next ten years, whatever public industry still survives will be sold off and no gains whatsoever will be made in tackling one of the main issues that is causing (and has caused) the fucked-up situation we find ourselves in (corporate tax evasion)

Moving onto Europe:

One of the bigger European countries will eventually default - sadly, it will probably be Spain - leading to the overnight failure of the Euro. It's already the Deutschmark in all but name anyway, no way will the Germans put up with bailing out another hopelessly failed economy. The Irish are already printing counterfeit Euros for christ's sake!

And Globally:

What is happening in the arab world will eventually result in the hastening of the failure of the petrodollar - and with it the US economy. Once the US economy goes (and it cannot possibly last much longer) there will be a slump that makes what we've just been through (and the economic depression of the 1920s) seem like the merest blip.

This is not hyperbole. We're almost at the situation where global capitalism has failed as utterly as communism did. Unfortunately, there isn't another ideology on the horizon to ride in on a white charger and lead us all to freedom. There simply is no way out of the current situation we're in - and we're not in the position of being able to just ignore the problem and chuck the debt onto the next generation. There's too much money in the system, and it's too unevenly distributed to do anything about without a massive redistribution of wealth (real wealth, not fiat currency) - and we all know what that would entail (communism).

My prediction? Sooner or later the yanks will have to initiate some form of widespread conflict (not picking fights with individual bits of desert). Nothing gets the machinery of capitalism in the good old US of A going like a stonking great war. The only thing preventing this right now is Palin's sabotage of the tea party movement. If the Republicans get in at the next election, with a tea party candidate as president (or a large-scale movement to incorporate the tea party mob) it really is time to pack the deckchairs and sunglasses, book your flight to the Maldives and just sit back on the beach & watch the mushroom clouds.

Don't believe this could possibly happen? It absolutely can. Every civilisation in history - including ones that have lasted millennia more than ours (which can't really be said to have existed for more than a hundred years in its current form) has failed - with two things in common to all of them. Firstly, they thought they were invincible and couldn't possibly ever fail. Secondly, the last stage they went through as a civilisation prior to collapsing was decadence. Look around you today. We are a decadent society.

It's the endgame.
  • Options
    Globalisation is undoubtedly the best thing that has hapened to the economies of human kind, despite the effect of the last few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Globalisation is undoubtedly the best thing that has hapened to the economies of human kind, despite the effect of the last few years.
    If you're talking about the alleged 'aims' of globalisation, then yes. In a perfect world it would be great. A self-correcting free market economy based on sound principles of supply and demand on a global scale is fantastic. Unfortunately, the rampant capitalism we've seen since the seventies, coupled with Chicago school economics pushing the agenda of 'the free market at the expense of everything else' have utterly destroyed any benefit that capitalism offered to the developing world. Flight of capital, tax evasion on an almost immeasurable scale and total absence of any enforceable financial regulations are all a direct result of globalisation. I'm not talking people making Nike trainers for peanuts, or sewing jeans to sell in Asda for a bowl of rice. It's far, far bigger than that.

For two perfect examples of what the globalisation and free-market agenda does to the 'real' people of a country, read up on the history of Chile in the seventies, and Russia in the early nineties. If you're not familiar with the shock tactics of the US free-market evangelist economists, you will be open-mouthed at the audacity of what they did to push the free market agenda (and thus globalisation) on those two countries. The rape of Russia's people and resources especially is heartbreaking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Globalisation is undoubtedly the best thing that has hapened to the economies of human kind, despite the effect of the last few years.
    If you're talking about the alleged 'aims' of globalisation, then yes. In a perfect world it would be great. A self-correcting free market economy based on sound principles of supply and demand on a global scale is fantastic. Unfortunately, the rampant capitalism we've seen since the seventies, coupled with Chicago school economics pushing the agenda of 'the free market at the expense of everything else' have utterly destroyed any benefit that capitalism offered to the developing world. Flight of capital, tax evasion on an almost immeasurable scale and total absence of any enforceable financial regulations are all a direct result of globalisation. I'm not talking people making Nike trainers for peanuts, or sewing jeans to sell in Asda for a bowl of rice. It's far, far bigger than that.

For two perfect examples of what the globalisation and free-market agenda does to the 'real' people of a country, read up on the history of Chile in the seventies, and Russia in the early nineties. If you're not familiar with the shock tactics of the US free-market evangelist economists, you will be open-mouthed at the audacity of what they did to push the free market agenda (and thus globalisation) on those two countries. The rape of Russia's people and resources especially is heartbreaking.

But don't you think a free market economy is always going to be subject to peaks and troughs. We are clearly in the worst trough of out lifetime - but in saying that we've only lived in a true free market economy for 50 years (and even that's debatble) so we don't know what to expect. Either way globalisation has set free not only the working class of this nation, but also that of every coutry that has truely embraced it - the class system is dying - even if it's going to take some more time - and globalisation is one of the main reasons.
  • Options
    it will be very interesting to see what knock on effect it has with attendances, as if my personal situation ever got tough, unfortunately Charlton would have to be stopped ;-(
  • Options
    I think this year is going to be devastating for business across a broad spectrum. I think Leroy's post on the previous place is very chilling and more than anything at the moment I worry for the kids who are leaving school at 16-17....what chance have they got? The influx of Poles/and Eastern Europeans in recent years didnt help ( I think the next big influx happens shortly when the doors from Bulgaria are opened), but now things are getting tougher, many of those are moving back to their home countries or generally moving on to the next best economy. At some stage we have to start to look after ourselves first and foremost....stop flogging off the best of British to the French, the Spanish and the Americans etc.....its harsh I know, but we are the worlds worst at looking after No1.

Im just so glad we resisted getting involved in euros afterall.....who would have envisaged Spain getting themselves into the mess they are in? I wouldnt have.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]I think this year is going to be devastating for business across a broad spectrum. I think Leroy's post on the previous place is very chilling and more than anything at the moment I worry for the kids who are leaving school at 16-17....what chance have they got? The influx of Poles/and Eastern Europeans in recent years didnt help ( I think the next big influx happens shortly when the doors from Bulgaria are opened), but now things are getting tougher, many of those are moving back to their home countries or generally moving on to the next best economy. At some stage we have to start to look after ourselves first and foremost....stop flogging off the best of British to the French, the Spanish and the Americans etc.....its harsh I know, but we are the worlds worst at looking after No1.

Im just so glad we resisted getting involved in euros afterall.....who would have envisaged Spain getting themselves into the mess they are in? I wouldnt have.
    The Spanish economy has been f***ed for ages Tel. There are enormous areas of massive unemployment across the country, the property bubble bursting exposed the house of cards that was the Spanish economy and there's nothing on the horizon to suggest it will get any better. I've got relatives there who haven't worked for ten years apart from short-term contracts - despite being university-educated professionals.
  • Options
    Didnt realise it was that bad.....for some reason I wrongly assumed that due to the success of companies such as Arriva etc that things were going well.....I think house prices here will fall again.....I dont think we will see a crash, but they still havent bottomed out.....Over in Australia property is hugely over priced, especially in Sydney....they are a little bit sheltered being so far from anywhere and having good mineral reserves, but the strength of the Aussie dollar will in time work against them with exports and I already know that tourism has been hit. Time to get out of home ownership over there in my opinion if anyone is lucky enough to own an investment property.
  • Options
    "It's the endgame"

Fcuk me Leroy, do you reckon I should hold off paying my gredit card balance this month then?
  • Options
    That post from Leroy on the last page was the single greatest explanation of the absolute mountain of shit we are all in
  • Options
    I think the reality is somewhere in between where the media thinks it is and Leroy. The construction industry is picking up a little, I've done loads of tenders recently.