Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did your Charlton Life crash again today ?

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Crashed just before half time and could not get it back on until after the game. I note from the match thread that it was active during the second half, so I presume it was a problem at my end.

Comments

• Options
    nope mine was f*cked all second half as well, really annoyed me
  • Options
    fine for me - other than a couple of minor wobbles during the second half.
  • Options
    Crashed for most of the second half but there was a huge list of people online, probably close to 200 including guests.

There is no credible alternative to this site out there, no wonder it gets swamped!
  • Options
    Ditto
  • Options
    Couple of fatal errors but nothing much.
  • Options
    Same think they need to sort the servers
  • Options
    2nd half was a pure disaster, kept getting the fatal error message. Bit of a pain as this place is much better than BBC website for updates and in game commentary
  • Options
    200 guests need to sin up
  • Options
    Minimal away support and an exciting game might explain it. Charging for membership would sort it out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Same think they need to sort the servers

The guys that run the site do fantastically well. Match days are always going to be a challenge. Maybe something can be done where guests cannot go onto the match day thread.

If to resolve the issue requires investment then we need to accept things as they are unless someomne has some excess dosh to cough up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2010
    AFKA & Lookie run this site as a hobby, both have lives outside of CL and I personally think that they do a fantastic job. Unless I'm mistaken, neither have excess funds they can chuck at the site to buy super servers that can cope with the traffic on an away matchday when the majority of members are not at the game.

So unless anyone else can stage a Zabeel type buyout/investment, may I suggest we stop moaning and be thankful that we have an excellent forum that we can be proud of and on the occasions that the site is slow or doesn't load we think to ourselves 'nevermind, I'll give it an hour and try again' rather than demanded new servers etc......

Sorry to sound off but some people want the moon on a plate.
  • Options
    It was said match threads should be members only....
  • Options
    Could always set up a paypal A/C and members could donate a few squid each, having said that this place runs perfectly except during 3-5 on a Saturday, which is fair enough really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]
    Sorry to sound off but some people want the moon on a plate.

Sorry to go off topic, WSC, but is 'the moon on a plate' a euphemism for 'Parky to resign now' ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]200 guests need to sin up

There weren't 200 guests, more like 150 odd members & 50 guests when it finally gave up the ghost for my connection. There were also a handful of "phantom users" - quite appropriate given that is Halloween next weekend!

Personally I like this idea for the future of Charlton Life's servers - novel server hosting proposal!
  • Options
    Moon on a stick ? Surely.
  • Options
    Aaaaah I thought the match thread was a little thin on content when I read it
    Anyone else sad enough to read the match thread well after the games finished
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    First half was fine albeit a little slow on occassions , second half it was taking an age to upload any comments on what was happening at the match and then I also got 6 or so fatal errors. I had a quick look and there were 50 guests and a few phantom users along with 150+ members. If the match thread went members only that would, I think, help to solve the problem, but on the other hand who am I to starve non-members of following CAFC on here, the more people we can get interested in the club the better. I think this site is excellent and run very well by AFKA & Lookie in their spare time and for free. I dont know what the answer is tbh, but yesterday was the frst time I really encountered any major problems so perhaps it was just a one-off.
  • Options
    Making the match thread members only wouldn't help, it's the number of people accessing the site that causes the problem...

A greater bandwidth is what's needed and that costs money...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A match ticket would sort it out, a set fee per month/year includes a match day thread.
    All threads FOC with the exception of the match day thread.
    No idea how it could be set up.
    Sorting the servers!! would surely cost money if that is the only way are people going to back that suggestion with a pound note or two?
    Like most on here I think its a very well run site and admin do a good job and if it meant dipping into the pocket to help the guys out sobeit, surely?
  • Options
    I got knocked off a few times yesterday and it is annoying because the match thread gives me the sense of being with mates , however I won't complain as I had the Player commentry and the Sky Sports website giving updates.

This is one of the few sites I would pay for , but the downside is that would limit who gets on here which would make it a weaker site.
  • Options
    Another alternative would be a live members only matchday chatroom...

I know a bloke that's got one going cheap...