Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When you're three nil down at home...

much better to react like Carlisle's fans and players did today rather than our histrionics last week. They didn't panic, the crowd didn't turn on the team and the manager (though they were pretty quiet!) They just kept at - realised our weakness was high balls deep into the box and went for it. When the goals went in, the crowd came alive, and they very nearly got something out of the game.

Just a very, very different experience from The Valley last week when the fans gave up completely at 0-2 and turned vitriolic at 0-3.

We are now level on points with Carlisle, btw.

Comments

• Options
    Carlisle fans were silent for the whole game, even when they pulled it back to 3-3. Not a peep.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Look. If you lived in Carlisle you'd be too depressed to sing as well!
  • Options
    look at the crowd
  • Options
    I blame the fans zzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]look at the crowd

Sure, but I can remember being at Upton Park games with only about 5000 other Charlton and we made it a supportive and hostile atmosphere. For example when John Beck's Cambridge came with their anti-football and we couldn't beat it. We reserved our venom for Cambridge, and not our team.

The radio guy yesterday said several times that Carlisle can be an intimidating crowd. He also said that we were doing well because they were silent. Bu they didnt boo, even at 0-3. And as soon as their first goal went in, I could hear trouble coming down the airwaves.

The question is, if we'd scored to make it 1-3 against Brighton, how would we have sounded after that?
  • Options
    To be fair though although they were quiet II couldn't hear any booing from there crowd after going 3-0 down. If that was at the valley it would have started after the 2nd went in. Fair play to them but benno must have absolutely gutted them
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Carlisle fans are extremely graetful to be in the position they are in , while we are mortified to be in the position we are in.

Five years ago, we were in the premiership and they were in the conference.

Whether it's right or wrong, I don't think you need to look much further for the reason their fans and our fans have somewhat different expectations from their respective teams.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Carlisle fans are extremely graetful to be in the position they are in , while we are mortified to be in the position we are in.

Whether it's right or wrong, I don't think you need to look much further for the reason their fans and our fans have somewhat different expectations from their respective teams.

nail on head
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Carlisle fans are extremely graetful to be in the position they are in , while we are mortified to be in the position we are in.

Exactly.
  • Options

I completely agree with that as the underlying reason. But if we carry on behaving like it at 0-2 down, we'll be more likely to end up in the Conference in a few years than back in the Prem. We all have a part to play. I've seen us come back from 0-2 and even 0-3 down at The Valley in the past, but right now that seems unthinkable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thats cos the players should show the belief to get the fans going, not the other way round.
  • Options
    Makes a bit of a difference if the third goal goes in after 47 minutes as at Carlisle rather than the 81st as at The Valley?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Makes a bit of a difference if the third goal goes in after 47 minutes as at Carlisle rather than the 81st as at The Valley?

Morning Rick. Unusually, I'm not sure what you mean by that. But i do have a hangover.

See you Saturday, BTW:-)
  • Options
    Player reported Carlisle fans leaving the ground at 3-3, so I'm thinking they might not be a super-supporter role model
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Makes a bit of a difference if the third goal goes in after 47 minutes as at Carlisle rather than the 81st as at The Valley?[/quote]

You're right because on 81 mins there's practically no chance of getting back on track; the irony is that a team that conceded 3 in 47 has probably done worse than one that concedes 3 in 81.
  • Options

Excellant answer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]

Excellant answer

...which also happens to be 100% correct IMO. Dunno about others but I am sick and tired of this "It's the fan's fault argument". Given the right players to support, playing in the right way we're up there with the most knowledgeable and definitely the most patient supporters around but the last few years has tested that to the limit and beyond.
  • Options
    Watching MOTD2. Either Man City's ground was half empty at the start or a lot of their fans left at 0-2 and 0-3.
  • Options
    I think the point is to forget about how our team is doing, how it has done in recent years and be positive about our situation, whatever that may be. Who knows, it might actually help and we might see promotion at the end of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]

I completely agree with that as the underlying reason. But if we carry on behaving like it at 0-2 down, we'll be more likely to end up in the Conference in a few years than back in the Prem. We all have a part to play. I've seen us come back from 0-2 and even 0-3 down at The Valley in the past, but right now that seems unthinkable.

"We all have a part to play."

Well said, Weegie. That`s how it used to be.
    So why not these days?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

agree totally. Also, perhaps they havn't had to watch as many crap performances as we have recently. One can only take so much, it get's to you in the end.
  • Options
    fact that we went 3-0 down with 9 minutes to go makes it completely different.