Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Signings

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Getting a tad concerned now.

No sign of anything.

Yeah all these paper rumours but nothing concrete is there.

BUT in Pards I trust.

Comments

• Options
    Apart from the two players we've signed.

BTW is that you Arfur and if so will I be buying you a pint in the One Tun tonight?
  • Options
    the main concern to me was it was the central spine of the side that desperately needed fresh, improved impetus, and we have made no impact there. Thatcher for Traore is an improvement, but improving a left back won't change our side dramatically.
  • Options
    you can't really count ZZ, that was done in Oct/ Nov by a different manager, and will be a squad player at best for the next two months.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you can't really count ZZ, that was done in Oct/ Nov by a different manager, and will be a squad player at best for the next two months.

exactly !
  • Options
    Pards Out!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you can't really count ZZ, that was done in Oct/ Nov by a different manager, and will be a squad player at best for the next two months.

On ZZ, perhaps Pardew is concerned having seen how long it took the Argentine players to settle at West Ham but still a signing. And who knows if it will be two weeks, two months or never like Pouso. Really depends on how quickly he settles and just how much better he is than what we have.

I'd still like to see 2 or 3 new players down the spine but so would Pardew and everyone else. It would appear that we've gone after forwards (Blanco, Stokes) and defenders (Boughera) so it seems that AP sees the same areas for development within the squad
  • Options
    if you want to include ZZ fine, but players like ZZ, Stokes etc fall under the 'possible one for the future' bracket', neither are / were going to have a significant impact on the first team in the remaining months of the season, neither would be likely to provide either the spark or solidity that we desperately need for the run in.

We need to be looking for short-term impact because the next few months is there still to play for, and none of the so called rumours have given indications we are looking in that field, which leads me to conclude that financially we're in pretty poor shape.
  • Options
    Yes Henry it is I - and yes will see you tonight old chap.

just genning up on my non league knowledge as I am shocking. Then again those sort of questions shouldn't be allowed we are proper football fans not part time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]Yes Henry it is I - and yes will see you tonight old chap.

just genning up on my non league knowledge as I am shocking. Then again those sort of questions shouldn't be allowed we are proper football fans not part time.

See you there. Agree on the non-league. Who cares?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    We need to be looking for short-term impact because the next few months is there still to play for, and none of the so called rumours have given indications we are looking in that field, which leads me to conclude that financially we're in pretty poor shape.

It is difficult though as with our financial position (which we know is poor as Dowie spent it all), we can't really afford to get any big name players in and even if we could theres a likelihood we'll go down so do we spend big and risk having big wages next year. So we realistically have to look at loans (like Kepa Blanco) but as has already been proven, clubs with more money than us (west ham, fulham etc are in for the same players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with AFKA, Pards is clearly looking for players who have experience at same or similar level, who can get us out of this like Thatcher, to be honest anyone else without a track record and under a certain age/have the legs needed is going to be a gamble.

Not easy to get though as our apparent lack of success would suggest.
  • Options
    Scott Brown, still being tracked by West Brom, who I believe will bid c. £2.5M for him. IMHO, he'd sort out all our issues, the lad's going to be a superstar.
  • Options
    rumours are that Madjid Bourgerra is off to Everton.
  • Options
    We all know the spine of the side needs improving but left back changing has made a big difference and with Luke Young and Darrren Bent coming back we should be looking good.

If no striker or central midfielder arrives then I reckon we will need to play 4-5-1 for large parts of games (especially Chelsea at home) and look to kill games and sneak some 1-0 wins.

I think Charlton can(must) find the money but the agents are touting players once we show an interest so we lose out to new money at Sunderland and West Ham. So loan signings might be the answer?
  • Options
    Agree mate - loan signings with a view to a permanent transfer are ideal.

We get (hopefully) a useful player who only costs us running costs and no major outlay - and if we should fall into the abyss, we can cut losses without too much damage.

Also, and just as important, a player who wants to prove himself is a hungry, committed, determined player.
    And that's just what we need at the moment.
  • Options
    hungry and angry eh Oggy........