Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Waggy v Sam

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
now I wasn't there on Saturday but it seems that Waggy had a good game and was busting a gut for the team and had at least one assist. So far this season he has scored five and had numerous assists. Far, far more than I can remember Sam contributing in the last couple of seasons. Sam going has been the making of Waggy. In my opinion he was held back last season by Sam still hanging around. Would anyone still have wanted Sam to stay ?

Comments

• Options
    Hows he doing up at Leeds?
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam is skillful and fast but very weak and shockingly unfit

Waggy is strong, extremely fit and fast but has no "trick"

Waggy's eye for goal is excellent - not just tap ins but also when 1 on 1 or shooting from range he is much more of a threat than Sam ever was

Waggy is also better when covering in defence

Tactically we all saw how Sam disappeared from a game when he was away from the bench because he constantly needed to be told what to do and where to be - I find that inexcusable for a pro footballer

Sam will carve out a decent living from the game but as an asset to Charlton I think Waggy is starting to show he is very much the better of the two - certainly for our current status / standing
  • Options
    I think not having to play in every game last season may have done Waggstaff some good, but I think he was ready to become and regular player this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I think not having to play in every game last season may have done Waggstaff some good, but I think he was ready to become and regular player this season.

Agree. Parky has managed him really well.

I still wouldn't mind having Sam as an option - I'd rather he played right wing than Martin. But the gap between Waggy and Sam is already much smaller than it was last season.
  • Options
    I like Waggy's attitude and the fact he has an eye for goal.

As said above though by Swisdom Waggy has no trick which does limit his ability to open up defences. Sam showed, even at Premiership level briefly, that he can open up defences and get the crosses in. The fact our strikers rarely capitalised is not entirely down to Sam. Last week against Brighton I felt that Sam might have made us slightly less one dimesional in the second half and given them something to think about.

If we could have afforded it I would have kept them both and would probably have preferred Sam to Martin as an alternative option, despite Martin's superior work rate, had it been financially possible.

We are where we are though and I'm delighted that Waggy appears to have an excellent attitude as a pro and wants to make the most of his talent. It augurs well for his future development.
  • Options
    Wasn't sure Waggy was going to step up this season, when I've seen him he goes missing for large parts, but he's scoring goals and getting involved so I'm glad to be proved wrong
  • Options
    Waggy will come good he's only 19 so still young whereas sam is 25 so should be in his prime.
  • Options
    Waggy will come good he's only 19 so still young whereas sam is 25 so should be in his prime.
  • Options
    So true I said it twice.
  • Options
    I think I'm right in saying Leeds play (or at least did at the begining of the season) 4-3-3 which mean Sam now has more licence to get forward and doesn't have to worry so much about the defending side of his game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    last year i would have laughed at the suggestion whether i'd prefer waggy to sam but this season waggy has risen much much higher than i anticipated (i am human and can call it wrong , once in a blue moon) and fairplay to waggy
    his knack of goals added too with some assists and a faultless workrate and his general appetite and enthusiasm fro the game are a delight to watch and i just hope he can keep up the good work and try not to disappear completely for large parts of the game
    and maybe his improvement is all down to parky but whatever it's helping us
    and maybe another academy success in the making!
  • Options
    *faints*
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Waggy will come good he's only 19 so still young whereas sam is 25 so should be in his prime.

I actually think he is 20 but your point still stands (twice)

:-)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As said the gap between Sam and Wagstaff is now getting much smaller. I'd have Sam over Martin, but of course then Wagstaff wouldn't have got the chance to push on and improve as much as he has done and we're seeing the benefits.

Sam no doubt would have been useful this season, he'd have loved having Benson, Abbott and Sodje in the box over Burton, McLeod and Dickson (comparing this time last year to now). They're pretty much complete opposites as players, Sam has the skill and a good cross, but lacks the fitness, movement and real pace, and of course that bit of drive. Wagstaff has the attitude, he wants to and will keep improving his game, he makes good runs, scores goals and with his fitness can offer something at any time during a match.

Wagstaff has come through at just the right time. We're at a level where he has something to offer, but has to keep improving to stay in the team. Sam in comparison didn't get regular football with us until he was 22/23, because we were in the Prem, and that hasn't helped him develop at all.

I think Sam is pretty much at the level he'll always be, a good League One player or squad player in an mid table Championship side. Wagstaff will no doubt keep improving, and hopefully go further than Sam has or ever will.

Certainly looks a much better player than the one I saw in pre-season 2008 and his first start in the cup game v Yeovil (mistake by Pardew) a month later. Back then he appeared to run around quite a bit without offering much at all, making mistakes, very occasionally scoring a goal. Just wasn't enough. Then slowly after Parky and his staff helped him get his confidence back, (helped by relegation to a lower level of course) he started offering something in the first team, both goals and just how fit he really was, something that is a lot more obvious in competitive games.

Not sure everyone realises that Wagstaff was close to being released at 15/16. They gave him 6 weeks to impress and fortunately he did. Wagstaff has made the biggest improvement I've seen in any young player here since Parker broke through. That's no doubt down to his attitude, with help from Parky and the coaches (first team and academy) along the way. He's a great example to the current academy players of what having the right attitude is all about.
  • Options
    I am a fan of Sam's and do not really rate Wagstaff and even this season I have not been generally impressed by his overall contribution to games as I don't think he is constantly threatening as a winger should be; however, it is difficult to argue with him continuing to pick up goals and/or assists and obviously he has a great attitude so fingers crossed he keeps going like that, and improving; as people say he is young so there is still time to improve further. Personally I don't see a great deal more potential in him and doubt he will ever be more than a decent league one player but lets hope i get proved wrong, and for the moment obviously he is making positive contributions and martin hasn't hit the form i think he is capable of so good luck to him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Waggy will come good he's only 19 so still young whereas sam is 25 so should be in his prime.

I actually think he is 20 but your point still stands (twice)

:-)
    LMAO

I apologise! And yeah he's still learning!
  • Options
    No contest. Even when Wagstaff was 2 and barely old enough to walk, I would have him over Sam.
  • Options
    I think something a lot of people missed is the effort that a number of managers in this division went to, to keep Lloyd quiet. He was often covered by two people and we didn't really have the smarts (or for most of the time he was playing, the width on the other side) to exploit it. He seems to be pretty effective for a team in a higher league, so at this point I'd still like to have Lloyd in the team, but Waggy's progressing very rapidly from the kid I saw in the league cup getting brushed off by Yeovil players a couple of years back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I think something a lot of people missed is the effort that a number of managers in this division went to, to keep Lloyd quiet. He was often covered by two people and we didn't really have the smarts (or for most of the time he was playing, the width on the other side) to exploit it. He seems to be pretty effective for a team in a higher league, so at this point I'd still like to have Lloyd in the team, but Waggy's progressing very rapidly from the kid I saw in the league cup getting brushed off by Yeovil players a couple of years back.

I was at that Yeovil league cup game when Waggy made his debut and I sat in the West for a change close to the dug outs.

The problem was that Waggy was meant to be playing on the right and Bouazza was supposed to be in the middle. However Bouazza kept running the right hand channel so Waggy naturally moved inside to try and support. Pardew then shouted to Waggy to stay wide which he tried to do but then Pardew shouted go inside and to cut a long story short by the end of it the poor lad was a nervous wreck and didn't have a clue where he should be and Pardew just kept bawling him out presumably because he didn't want to upset Bouazza.

No wonder he lost his confidence. Much of the criticism Waggy got for that Yeovil game was unjustified as he was simply playing to orders.

Needless to say Pardew made Waggy look worse by substituting him!
  • Options
    Waggy does not sulk like Sam . He's also a better finisher.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if sams not injured his coming off tired
  • Options
    Looking at the goals, Waggy got 1 assist on Saturday. Also had 1 away to Orient. Has he got any more?
  • Options
    gets goals thats what matters
  • Options
    As I said last season Waggy will keep improving. When he was playing last season he was challenging 50/50 ball time and again, something you so rarely saw Sam even trying to attempt. Sam took many seasons to get a handle on protecting his fb. Waggy was weak at this at first but again is improving at a much faster rate than Sam. Tricks or not Sam was not providing assists early days, just a whole load of ineffective crosses; seemed to cross less as he got older! Last season Waggy looked a threat, at skinning on the outside full backs in the last twenty mins. Sam just didn't do that unless there was no other option after he received a pass. Waggy does it from running from his own half, whereas Sam needed someone to set him up.

I liked Sam a lot, but he took a long time to learn how to be effective. Waggy needs to do a lot more tactically; when to stick and when to pull inside and utilise Francis on the overlap. Having said that Sam needed the team to set him up offensively. Waggy opens things up himself, with his unbelievable energy in the last twenty..... Sam never ever did that.
  • Options
    Sam not even on the bench tonight. Is he injured ?
  • Options
    I hope the next time Waggy scores will be a 20 yarder.Hes got a good shot in his locker.The boy has improved and will continue to do so because hes very committed and down to earth.One area he has to work on is his first touch which sometimes lets him down.
  • Options
    Sam hasn't been in the Leeds squad for about 7/8 games. He has an injury yes.

I personally think Wagstaff is much better all round and he is learning and improving everyday. Going to be a really good player I think. Another youngester to be proud of.
  • Options
    Waggy knows all about Charlton and has plenty of passion. Charlton are his second team and I could see him becoming a modern day John Robinson.
  • Options
    Who did he support? Vaguely remember it to be Arsenal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_hero[/cite]Waggy knows all about Charlton and has plenty of passion. Charlton are his second team and I could see him becoming a modern day John Robinson.

Excellent comparison.