Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jay Bothroyd for England? You're having a laugh...

Watching Cardiff v Leeds on Sky and on commentary they are saying that Jones has been pushing Bothroyd at Capello as worthy of an England call-up.

Astonishing because he looked rubbish when he was with us and only ever scored twice for Charlton (although at least one of those was an absolute cracker, I recall).

But he's just scored again and is now in double figures for the season.

Has he really improved so much - or is it simply that every dog has his day, and he's this season's Darren Ambrose?

Comments

• Options
    I rated Bothroyd when he was with us.I thought he had good technique,a very good left shot and was excellent at set pieces.You dont play and score in the Italian Serie A unless
    youre a decent player.Another player that wasnt very popular at the Valley.I liked him but still dont think hes got the pace for an England International.
  • Options
    Big strikers often improve later on in their careers. Iwelumo another example, moved around a lot without scoring many in his early 20s.

Just before the game I used my free £5 bet on Bothroyd first goal. So thanks for that Jay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]I rated Bothroyd when he was with us.I thought he had good technique,a very good left shot and was excellent at set pieces.You dont play and score in the Italian Serie A unless
    youre a decent player.Another player that wasnt very popular at the Valley.I liked him but still dont think hes got the pace for an England International.

Likewise I seem to remember him being pretty decent but getting limited opportunities, certainly better than Marcus Bent who often started ahead of him.
  • Options
    Should have been sent off, terrible over the top tackle on Becchio, could have easily broken his leg.
  • Options
    Why not. If he's playing well and scoring goals everyone should have the same opportunity.
    I thought he was good when he was with us too , he just wasn't given the chance
  • Options
    Boothroyd had about the most bizarre positional sense I've ever seen from a big striker. He seemed to think he was a petulant Ian Ormondroyd, but without the good season in the top div to even fantasise about playing that way. Full of talent, just do not think he'll ever play well when under pressure, as has been proved at every club when he's out of form and dropped. If he got back into the prem, after a little blaze of glory for a couple of months he dissapear into his own arrogance and contract demands.

We should have kept him as he was a factor, but I'd never want to sign him for money only when he has to prove something.
  • Options
    Another good finish by Bothroyd
  • Options
    this is absolute rape
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If anyone wants to see bad positioning.... blimey Schmeichel not being closer to his right near post when that's the only area Naylor could hit. Woeful.
  • Options
    Leeds are absolutely awful!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amdy Faye does spread the talent wherever he goes!
  • Options
    Seem to recall there were rumours of a medical problem when he was with us? Didn't he faint/have a fit at the wheel or something and crash his car? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Might have been the reason for his limited appearances.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Fraggle[/cite]Seem to recall there were rumours of a medical problem when he was with us? Didn't he faint/have a fit at the wheel or something and crash his car? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Might have been the reason for his limited appearances.

Exactly my symptoms Saturday when Carlisle equalised.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Fraggle[/cite]Seem to recall there were rumours of a medical problem when he was with us? Didn't he faint/have a fit at the wheel or something and crash his car? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Might have been the reason for his limited appearances.

I think you're right about that.

I didn't think Jay was great, but he did seem to know where the goal was. Saw him score an impressive goal in a cup game at the Valley.
  • Options
    Bothroyd and Iwellumo top scorers in the championship.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Should have been sent off, terrible over the top tackle on Becchio, could have easily broken his leg.

yep definately, had Becchio made a bit more of a meal of it then he would, fair play to him for getting straight up and on with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    Astonishing because he looked rubbish when he was with us ?

he looked rubbish for us because he was playing in a shit team . he's a talented boy not england class