Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Hunt - Stockport 1999/2000

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Pretty sure Andy scored hatricks home and away against Stockport that year.

Have we had any other players who scored hatricks home and away against the same team in the same season?

If not, is it massively rare?. Have any other players done it for other sides?.

Comments

• Options
    Not sure, but think it was 2nd successive away game that he got hat tricks in though (Norwich?)
  • Options
    Indeed he did it's on soccerbase:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd
  • Options
    probably the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet. Was luckily on our table at that years POTY event. Not even in the top three. A travesty. Talked for ages. At the end of the evening as he was about to leave he made a point of seeking out all those fans at his table to say thanks for a good night and cheerio. Top man.
  • Options
    Missed an open goal in the last minute at home as well so early had 4
  • Options
    Agree Large, Andy was an absolute top guy. I was fortunate enough to interview him a couple of years ago so this may interest you:

http://www.doctorkish.com/cgi-bin/clinic/display.pl?month=200808&date=20080827&time=2339
  • Options
    yes very much a top bloke.
  • Options
    His brother was a good player as well. Think it was Charlton Charlie who got him to play for CIFC.
  • Options
    Yes he also scored a hat trick at Norwich (his home town club I believe) that season, a perfect hat trick - one header, one left foot, one right foot.

However Large Addick, I don't know who the top three were in the POTY award that year but given how good we were that season, a club record winning run of 13 consecutive games or sth, it may be a slight overstatement to call his omission a travesty; from memory, Deano, Rufus, Kinsella, Powell, Robbo and even Newts in particular had superb seasons that year!
  • Options
    Kinsella was my favourite of that era, but I thought Hunt had it all. Liked him when he was at Newcastle and was real happy when we signed him. Always thought he'd be more than good enough to do it year after year in the prem, whereas Mendonca's smaller frame and lack of pace meant the better physical beasts in the prem could close him down easier making me think he'd not have been such a long term factor in the prem.
  • Options
    Mendonca was a significantly better finisher than Hunt though in my opinion. He read the game so well and was so instinctive / right place right time man, I think he couldve done it in the prem at least as well as Hunty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't disagree with the finishing. Though Hunt could be brilliantly instinctive, remembering his two goals against Spurs in 98/99.

For my view Mendonca's excellent poise and pivot strength for his size just didn't quite cut it in the prem when we struggled. You're right Hunt wasn't as excellent a natural finisher, but he was still good and his height and better physique meant defenders bounced off him. Not only that but his physical presence held off players so he could get shots off from imperfect situations, whereas Mendonca in the prem looked like he was harrassed into creating the perfect situation as he couldn't dominate the space against better phsyical defenders.
  • Options
    One of my favourites. Andy, if you're out there, sign up!
  • Options
    Andy was a prolific internet user (I remember having a conversation with him in the Hardy one evening about his love of playing backgammon online!), but his blog has been quiet now for a long while..although I see that he and his family have moved back to Belize to run their business again.. He was also in one of the Sunday papers a year or so ago in the property section as he was selling a house he had built on his land out there.. I'd be surprised if he hasn't stumbled across this site...

To Clem's point, yes, his brother did play for CIFC once or twice and was an excellent player (friend's reckoned he would have been a professional too if it hadn't been for an ankle injury), whilst his best mate played regularly for us for a couple of seasons up at Coldharbour - perhaps not so good, but did sport a great pair of Edgar David specs on the pitch a few times...