Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pot calling the kettle black.

Apparently the head of Russia's bid to host the 2018 World cup finals has criticised the drinking habits of young people and the high crime rates in our nations cities (see Britain's worst towns thread). Far be it for me to contradict a Russian in a position of power, but I fear his comments may backfire on him. Alcoholism and crime in Russian cities? Perish the thought!

Russian comments

And according to this report the.. "average Russian drinks 18 litres of pure alcohol every year".

Russia battles the bottle

Comments

• Options
    Bumping this as I'm a bit suprised no one is even slightly interested.
  • Options
    I'm not going to bad mouth the Russians, I wouldn't put it past them to hunt me down!
  • Options
    But there is no crime in Russian cities? Why are you so worried?
  • Options
    listen if our government can tap our emails and phonecalls the ruskis will hunt us down a go medievil on our arses

if i was you i wouldnt leave the house ever again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Bumping this as I'm a bit suprised no one is even slightly interested.

With a Russian takeover of the Club just days away best to stay off this topic IMHO
  • Options
    see they are watching they are every where

wheres alexi smertins wife when you need her
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]see they are watching they are every where

wheres alexi smertins wife when you need her

Not round my house, mores the pity!
  • Options
    Popcorn kettle black. That is all.
  • Options
    Of course you are right VFR.

Some people in the media are questioning whether we should have complained, whether it isnt too petty. But with some experience of Russians, I think it was right to do it. Its a Slavic characteristic to be more showy, to posture more in public than we would do. Russians have a kind of romantic respect for Britain, just as I think we do/did for Russia. Most Russian and other Slavic males in business or politics aspire to be a bit of an English Gentleman They are kind of pushing the limits to find out what goes beyond the borders of acceptable 'gentlemanly' behaviour. So we told them.

I am not sure what Russia 2018 would be like. The fact is that I have avoided returning to Moscow since 1992, because in many ways an ordinary business visit is a bloody nightmare. On the other hand ordinary Russians, once they get to know you, can be the warmest and most soulful people you can meet in Europe.(Is Russia Europe?..) And as for the women...well I will be too old by then, but any young single male should have at least one relationship with a Russian woman. But for similar reasons, I'm planning one last hurrah for my Saga generation mates in Kiev 2012:-).

Good job this isnt the Guardian. I'd get hate mail for this :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Did someone call for Mrs Smertin
  • Options
    Interesting post PragueAddick. I originally posted on here because of the complaint lodged by the English 2018 bid committee regarding comments made by Russia 2018 chief executive Alexei Sorokin. I felt his comment to be ironic considering what I knew of Russia's own problems with chronic alcoholism and crime. Am I right in detecting a genuine fear of Russian reaction to the English complaint?

Apart from anything else, the prospect of hundreds of thousands of football fans arriving in a country where a bottle of vodka can be bought for less than £2 is quite frankly terrifying, it's going to go very wrong.
  • Options
    VFR you should go to Mosscow. I went in 2002, I'd think you'd find it bloody impossible to get a drink for under a fiver. At least until 2008, for about five years it was the most expensive city in the world. You'd have to spend a long time walking in Mosscow to find a cheap locals bar, and I'd doubt you'd be welcome there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]VFR you should go to Mosscow. I went in 2002, I'd think you'd find it bloody impossible to get a drink for under a fiver. At least until 2008, for about five years it was the most expensive city in the world. You'd have to spend a long time walking in Mosscow to find a cheap locals bar, and I'd doubt you'd be welcome there.

I went to Moscow this summer and found cheap drinks no problem, whether its vodka/beer in supermarkets or pints for about 70 roubles (less than £1.50) in a local pub near our hostel. I think the 'most expensive city' tag is based on prices for things like nice hotels and restaurants, which I've heard are extortionate.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cool I don't remember it like that! Certainly not in the supermarkets I went in. Didn't have a problem in Irkutsk or St Petersburg. Still I must admit, I just found it difficult to roam and find things in Mosscow, and I was in a hotel that was virtually on Red Square; I believe it's been knocked down now.