Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A plea for help - VLM 2011

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
Hi all,

Some of you on here know me and some not so well maybe. I'm an infrequent dweller on the board and not always the most popular poster seeing as I'm a semi-pro referee!
Anyway, I am running the Virgin London Marathon on Sunday 17th April 2011 in aid of the Miscarriage Association. My Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law were expecting their baby son, Freddie, in late September 2010 but due to complications he was born and died 4 months early on 27th May 2010.
I decided to run the London Marathon to raise a minimum £1,500 for the Miscarriage Association, the charity they chose at the funeral to raise money for. I realise times are tight and Christmas is coming up soon enough but I thought I'd put this out there early on as a plea to sponsor me as best you can and help me towards my target. Even if you're not able to donate right now you can always wait until after the festive season to donate as there's just shy of 6 months to go....right better get training...!
Please find my page below where you're able to donate and remember your gift aid if you're eligible.

Thanking you in advance,

Tim.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TimBurman

Comments

• Options
    worthwhile cause. Bump nearer the time and I'll donate.
  • Options
    If you give me a penalty next time you ref a match i am playing in i will sponsor you!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]worthwhile cause. Bump nearer the time and I'll donate.
    Seconded.
  • Options
    thanks guys
  • Options
    Brilliant stuff Tim. I ran it last year and I'm still waiting to find out if I have a place for 2011. I don't know how experienced you are but if you need any tips or advice drop me a line. The London Marathon is the greatest life affirming experience you can possibly take part in, it's phenomenal and will completely change your life for ever.
  • Options
    im waiting to hear if i have a charity place..
    didnt get through via the ballot :-(
  • Options
    Good luck VFR and CA...hope you get in. I can't wait although I am a little scared. I have completed five 10km runs but feel I could go further. I will probably be trying a half marathon around January time to see how it is. I know I can do it!!!
  • Options
    A half marathon before the big race is an excellent idea. I did Reading last year and I can recommend it. In terms of organisation, crowd numbers and amount of participants it's very similar to the London Marathon.
  • Options
    Although, when you a run over the speed humps around the university don't throw your arms in the air and shout, "WEEEEEEE!", it makes you look silly and I did my knee in. :-)
  • Options
    VFR - if i do get a place i shall no doubt be asking for plenty of advice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]VFR - if i do get a place i shall no doubt be asking for plenty of advice![/quote]

Advice needed? Here it is: when the gun goes, run for 26 and a bit miles without: veering from the course, falling over, having a heart attack, squatting for a poop - that's about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]VFR - if i do get a place i shall no doubt be asking for plenty of advice!

Advice needed? Here it is: when the gun goes, run for 26 and a bit miles without: veering from the course, falling over, having a heart attack, squatting for a poop - that's about it.

Thanks mate! will bear that in mind!

was thinking more about the training etc!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]VFR - if i do get a place i shall no doubt be asking for plenty of advice!

I would think it advisable to do some training. Hope that helps !
  • Options
    I am also doing the Marathon (6 days after my birthday boo) for a Charity so might come begging on here in March when I dont reach my target :)

Never run further than 10k in my life, to say outside of my comfort zone would be an understatement but definitely a box ticker, I watch it every year and always say "I fancy a go at that"

Good luck Spankie and any tips from anyone else are welcome.
  • Options
    Posted By: 1905

Posted By: carlingaddickVFR - if i do get a place i shall no doubt be asking for plenty of advice!

While preparing for the last VLM I put this blog together..

Preparing for the 2010 VLM

It may be of some use although I suffered an injury at the height of my training last year and suffered excruciating pain though most of the race. My advice would be to start running now if you haven't already done so, get your running legs before Christmas. Buy some decent shoes and get some decent winter running gear. Hopefully this winter won't be as hard to train in as the last!
  • Options
    remind me nearer the time and I will donate some cash. A worthy cause, I have personal experience of this and it is not a nice thing to have to go through.

I got into next years marathon through the ballot and if you (or anyone else) wants some advice on training I will be happy to provide it (been running for years and have a degree in sports science).

First bit of advice would be get fitted for some proper running trainers getting shoes suitable for your gait is vital to reduce the risk of injury. The folks at Sweatshop in Bluewater are very good.
  • Options
    Thought I'd bump this as it's Friday and now April.

Anything you can do for me will be gratefully received. I am fairly much near my target but hope to smash it and raise as much as I can for the Miscarriage Association.

I've been running now 4 times a week since 27th December. Not drunk a drop since 1st January and found Jan and Feb the harshest months to be running in due to extreme cold. Completed my longest run of 20 miles back last Saturday. Tapering has started so only 9 miles to do tomorrow, thankfully. Body has held up well all told although my knees do now start to ache after longer runs. I just use Ibroprufen and ice packs to counter it.

Good luck to all those running on the 17th!

Many thanks in advance,

Tim.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/timburman
  • Options
    BUMP
  • Options
    Good luck Spankie, tapering is nice - just 9.5 miles this weekend :-)
    I have similar knee problem, don't normally bother with ice pack but know I should - just rely on ibuprofen and crossing my fingers.
    Never even crossed my mind to five up the drink though - apart from on the 16th - nice bottle of white tonight.
    Like you I've pretty much reached my fundraising target as people have been really generous, I'd like to do it again next year but without the pressure have having to raise x £££ and hassling people.
  • Options
    Good luck to you too Salad. I did a nice 8+ miles and am out for very gentle runs this week before a complete rest day on Saturday!
    My knees have just had enough of training. Up to March they were fine but now they do ache and hurt after a run. I do ice them and use ibroprufen which seems to help. During the runs they seem ok, it's just after they flare up!
    Probably overkill with the drinking but I thought a blanket ban would be the best preparation for me seeing as it's my first ever one. I would love to do it next year but without the pressure of raising money. That's been a bigger slog than the training itself.