Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speed awareness course - instead of points

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
anyone done one of these and know the form?

They seem to charge more if you want one in the thames valley area which includes london, surely a breach of my human rights?

:)

Comments

• Options
    Yes. Did one At Northampton football ground after being caught speeding at 34mph, instead of 30. Good 10
    years ago now, the option was pay £60.00 for the one day course or 3 penalty points. As long as you agree with them,you get away without the penalty points, but if they think you have not learned from the course, it costs you the
    dosh as well. All about playing the game really, good luck!
  • Options
    I wasn't given the option by fecking Warwickshire police. They are sh1ts and if that camera isn't positioned specifically as a money-earner I'm a monkey's uncle.

Not that I'm bitter about it you understand!
  • Options
    Havent heard of a london borough offering the choice mainly been herts and essex
  • Options
    My brother done one at Bromley about 2/3 months ago
  • Options
    my offence was committed in wales, mobile camera sitting opposite the speed limit sign - surely not very sporting, what..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]My brother done one at Bromley about 2/3 months ago

any chance you ask how much he paid please? Many thanks
  • Options
    Also got caught in Wales GRRRRR 36 in a 30. Opted to do my course at Dartford Judo Centre, as it was closest. It was also the most expensive - £110. 8am-2pm, included a little driving assessment with an instructor after lunch. Just sit in the classroom and pretend to play along. I could feel my anger rising when being preached to by some horrible woman about talking on my mobile whilst driving when I was there for going a little bit too fast!

Also, if you are even 1 minute late arriving they don't let you in and you have to pay another £50 to rebook. If you don't take both photocard and paper bit of driving licence they don't let you do the course and charge you £50 to rebook. Blatant robbery really!

Still preferable to points though, which mean five years of raised insurance premiums. You don't even have to inform insurance companies that you've done the course.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]my offence was committed in wales, mobile camera sitting opposite the speed limit sign - surely not very sporting, what..

Blimey Razil! How fast were you pedalling?
  • Options
    I took the 3 points as doesnt really affect your premium that much and was a temp so would have cost me another 200 quid to take the day off as well.
  • Options
    Been stopped twice and camera'd twicw and never been offered it

I'd gladly attend!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't forget when comparing the cost you are not just comparing the price of the fine against the price of the course. Yhe insurance companies absolutley hammer you once you have points. I averaged £75 more on my insurance a year for five years. Oh yes we all know points only stay on your licence for three years, but insurance comapnies count them for five. So the cost of 3 points is closer to £500 than £60.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I took the 3 points as doesnt really affect your premium that much and was a temp so would have cost me another 200 quid to take the day off as well.

I also took the points. I phoned up the insurance company (LV) and was told that they don't take much notice for three points nowadays because the recent proliferation of cameras means that it is now the rule rather than the exception.

[edit] I don't know what the change in premium was, but it can't have been much because I remember thinking that I'd made the right choice.
  • Options
    I did one a few years ago in Bromley, cost me £70 and took about 3 hours.
  • Options
    oh how i miss Gatsos :-)
  • Options
    Yeah I went on one a couple of years ago for going 36 in a 30. £90 to sit there and have them treat you like you regularly drink/drug drive. Better than the points though.
  • Options
    Snap Wilma, got mine in Wales, still proves they even do their own. Like you did the one at the judo club Dartford.

Suffer it quietly.
    Yes there will be total numpties there who you may think should never even be behind a wheel.
    Do the driving stint, possibly with one other numpty who's driving scares you sh**less. proving there are worse drivers than you out there.
    Walk away and say to yourself " I got away with it" Never know when you might need a driving job with a clean licence.

Recommend.
  • Options
    Did one about 5 years ago in Crowthorne- not much help, but the guys running it were pleasant enough, and astounded that there were two women doing it who'd been done for doing 32 (yes, 32) in a 30 zone.
    I'd already been done twice in 2 days from a mobile camera, so needed the course to save going to 9 points.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]Did one about 5 years ago in Crowthorne- not much help, but the guys running it were pleasant enough, and astounded that there were two women doing it who'd been done for doing 32 (yes, 32) in a 30 zone.
    I'd already been done twice in 2 days from a mobile camera, so needed the course to save going to 9 points.

It's just ridiculous to get points and/or a fine for 2 mph over - car speedos are not accurate enough! My wife got flashed (by a speed camera, calm down) doing I think it was 3 mph over and queried it - it was eventually dropped.
  • Options
    Car speedos +/- 10%. Usually get done if over 10% +1. So 34 in a 30, 45 in 40, 78 in a 70.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]Did one about 5 years ago in Crowthorne- not much help, but the guys running it were pleasant enough, and astounded that there were two women doing it who'd been done for doing 32 (yes, 32) in a 30 zone.
    I'd already been done twice in 2 days from a mobile camera, so needed the course to save going to 9 points.[/quote]

It's just ridiculous to get points and/or a fine for 2 mph over - car speedos are not accurate enough! My wife got flashed (by a speed camera, calm down) doing I think it was 3 mph over and queried it - it was eventually dropped.[/quote]

i thought you got 10% of the speed limit plus 2mph leaway, you're allowed 35 in a 30, 79 in a 70 etc, obviously been told a load of bull!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2010
    the rules as to whether you can do them vary between areas, I know that in Wiltshire (where I got done doing 82 in a 70 zone at half 4 in the morning) I wasn't offered the course because they only offer it if you get done in a 30,40,50 or 60 area. You also have to be less than 10% + 5 over the speed limit to be eligible for the course.

If you get offered it, take it. As a 20 year old with points on my license, the premium went up by about £100......
  • Options
    Did one of these for doing 36 on a deserted road in the country about 2 yards before the national speed limit sign....still, once you're done, you're done, so you just have to take the pain...

The course will be absolute agony. You will be condescended to by jobsworths who talk to you like a two year old. Like c block says, just play the game, grit you teeth and try not to lose your rag when some jumped up jobsworth on a power trip starts to enjoy the little bit of power that they have a little too much.

I gave up one of my Saturdays for one of the most mind numbing experiences possible. I came out of the course actually wanting to speed just to p*ss off the self righteous w*nkers that I had just had to suffer for the previous 5 hours. Not the desired effect, maybe.

Just grin and bear it!
  • Options
    The worst bit is that they assume that because you were going a bit too fast that you also regularly drive whilst rabbiting on your mobile and actively hunt down motorcyclists to crash into! I was fuming but you can't show it or they can fail you. Plus they seem to think you have about 2 braincells working and talk to you like you're a five year old.
    [cite]Posted By: 12th Man[/cite]Do the driving stint, possibly with one other numpty who's driving scares you sh**less. proving there are worse drivers than you out there.

The woman in the car with me was scary! About 20 years old, been driving for about a year, already had three points, and did not seem to know what speed limits even were. When we got back to the carpark, I asked where she lived and what car she drove so I could avoid her in the future!!!
  • Options
    I got caught by Hants police on way to CAFC v Saints game 2 yrs ago - as I already had some points at that time I took the offer of a training course instead.

I done mine in Basingstoke and it took about 3 hrs.........noit sure how much it costs but around £60- £80 notes I think.

Room was full of 50 yr old + drivers, about 50% of both sexes.

It has taught me to be more aware of all traffic signs - but they do like to show the tv film of people being hit / injured in car accidents so not for the squeamish.
  • Options
    3 points won't have a great effect on your insurance premium
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]i thought you got 10% of the speed limit plus 2mph leaway, you're allowed 35 in a 30, 79 in a 70 etc, obviously been told a load of bull!

This is guidance only and I think the different forces can take it or leave it. Given my experience with Warwickshire, they're ignoring it.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Baby Latimer has just got a ticket 48mph in a 40mph on a dual carriageway in Bagshot from a mobile, probably talking to the mother in law at the time. Thames Valley offer speed awarness course if in this instance you are doing 46-50mph. As she has only been driving for 10 months she is thankful of the opportunity to undertake a 3 hour young drivers course plus a post course online 5 modules of tutoring all to be completed satisfactorily . I welcome this as I hope and believe it will have a salutary effect on her.

As for impact on insurance it does vary a great deal. Mrs Lat diesel Metrc car no claims £275, myself sports Porsche 3 points £275 explain that it if you can! Cruise at 76mph for me on motorways on my tom tom shows up 72mph which is the right figure IMHO. I have certainly taken a more considerate approach since getting my 1st ticket 2 years ago, at the end of the day like it or not if you exceed you potentially risk a fine etc. or worse still possible calamitous outcomes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]My brother done one at Bromley about 2/3 months ago

any chance you ask how much he paid please? Many thanks

He said it cost around £90-£95 (but the fine would have been £60) and lasted about 2 1/2 hours. He was caught doing 50 in a 40 near hanger lane.

One thing he remembers vividly (and me since he told me) was a quote from the instructor on the day
    "Every day, 17 people leave their home in London, and never return due to speeding related accidents"
    Quite a chilling reminder.
  • Options
    You also have to pay to get the points off your licence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Car speedos +/- 10%. Usually get done if over 10% +1. So 34 in a 30, 45 in 40, 78 in a 70.
    As i understand it all car speedos read only plus 10% to stop us suing the manufactures for points and fines.