Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A View from the Wednesday

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Owling_Wolf[/cite]Wednesday were formed in 1867 and are the 5th. oldest club now in the league. The Baconstripers were formed in 1889 as a result of a schism at Wednesday. Yes, 22 years later. We were originally known as the Blades, an obvious industrial nickname. We also played many early big games at Bumhole lane, before they were thought of.

So you were kicked out of the city and shoved out to the north...?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: IA[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Owling_Wolf[/cite]Wednesday were formed in 1867 and are the 5th. oldest club now in the league. The Baconstripers were formed in 1889 as a result of a schism at Wednesday. Yes, 22 years later. We were originally known as the Blades, an obvious industrial nickname. We also played many early big games at Bumhole lane, before they were thought of.[/quote]

So you were kicked out of the city and shoved out to the north...?[/quote]

Yes, but not by them. (Bumhole Lane was a general sports ground originally, also used by the Yorkshire County Cricket Club and the Sheffield United Cricket club until recently. It was three sided until the seventies. Yorkshire stuffed Australia by an innings and a lot in the seventies.) By the mighty Midland Railway Company. Our own ground was called The Olive Grove and we were forced to leave when the main railway line to London was quadrupled, taking our site. We were in trouble for a while before the brave decsision to buy land outside the village of Owlerton, outside the city to the north, just beyond the end of the farthest tram service. (Yes, where our current nickname came from.) The new ground was later renamed Hillsborough, the other village at the other end of the ground.
  • Options
    i live near to hillsborough and whilst iv'e never had a soft spot for either owls or blades, i do feel for their fans. i grew up with mates that were season ticket holders and like us they always dreamed of success and like us it came and so painfully went.

i still enjoy occasionally listening to 'praise or grumble' on't wireless after a saturday game. owls fans are so fickle (not like addicks, ahem) it makes me smile when after a win they are 'world beaters' and after a loss, it's 'sack the board'!

just for the city i hope wednesday get promoted as it brings a buzz to the place and hillsborough is a better place for being full on match days.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]hillsborough is a better place for being full on match days.

Good pies? good burgers?
  • Options
    cheers wolfie for some great comments
    never ever new any history of sheff wed but will be hoping you do well (apart from sat obv) for the rest of the season and hope tobe visiting you this year!