Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U18s v WHU

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
An excellent result (4-0) against a strong West Ham side. It was a flowing and entertaining game and a credit to Damian Matthew and the whole team. West Ham started brightly and dominated the first ten minutes but the Charlton defence soaked up the pressure well and gradually the Charlton attacks began. The first goal came from a bit of a scramble in the penalty area, the ball bouncing around until Ade Azeez bundled it over the line. This gave the whole team a boost and, by and large, we played the better football for the rest of the game, although West Ham never gave up and our keeper, Brandon Hall, who had an excellent game, made three or four great saves.

The second goal came from the very promising right-winger Callum Harriot. He's a small nippy and tenacious player. He picked up the ball about forty yards out and made a splendid run down the wing then cut inside, beat a couple of players, and then fired a shot through a crond of defenders and into the net.

The second half was even more dominated by Charlton although a West Ham goal was always possible when they mounted some menacing breakaways - but our defence held firm and threw their bodies in front of any shots. Our third goal was scored by Tosan Popo after a great run by Jordan Cousins whose class was very evident today. Popo also scored the fourth goal - a penalty after subsitute striker Joe Pigott was pulled down in the box. Popo calmly slotted the ball into the net.

How appropriate that, on Academy Day, Waggy should score the winning goal against Sheffield Wednesday and our U18s should have won so convincingly against West Ham after the brilliant win v Arsenal recently. It goes to show that our academy is still producing good players and reinforces just how important it is that we keep it going. We've got great staff, good players, good facilities - it would be a tragedy to lose all this because of lack of finances. We really must highlight the precarious nature of the Academy and get the supporters behind it - on which note, the only disappointment today was that there were only roughly the usual number of spectators there. People on this list often blather on about 'proper supporters' (apparently you're only one if you stand up, sing abuse to the opposite set of fans etc) well they could show their 'proper' support by coming to Academy games and also putting their hands in their pockets and joining Valley Gold or contributing in some other way.

Comments

• Very enjoyable morning down 'the Lane'. Certainly more enjoyable than the 45 min walk home after with a weighed down pram !

Only saw the 2nd half but we looked solid and organised. Harriott looks a real threat, a cross between Kyel Reid and Jermal Campbell Ryce.

West Ham from what i saw looked very poor considering what you would expect from that level.

As was pointed out to me, look at the benches and you see a world of difference. Charlton have a coach and a part time physio, West Ham had about six or seven coaches on the side. I'm told that's pretty much the norm with the prem acadamies. Seemed complete overkill.

And i'm sure one of the club's directors never thought when he set off this morning he'd end up holding babies and pushing prams ! Cheers if you get to read this.
  • Thanks for the report Nadou and AFKA.

Would you say Harriott is better on the right even thought he's left footed? Who played left midfield?

Do you know why Hall was in goal over Gough, who the club seem to rate very highly?

Good to see our strikers in Azeez and Popo keep scoring. Like the first team that's now 2 good wins in 2.
  • First time I've seen Hall but he looked much better than the 2 games I've seen of Gough

One save particularly was absolutely superb
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A76323224

Another report from someone on 606
  • how old are these boys i understand they are playing in the u18's but are they 17 or lower
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Thanks for the report Nadou and AFKA.

Would you say Harriott is better on the right even thought he's left footed? Who played left midfield?

Do you know why Hall was in goal over Gough, who the club seem to rate very highly?.[/quote]

Callum Harriott scored his goal running down the left wing, but he looked equally bat ease on the right wing in the second half.

Don't know why Hall was chosen over Gough. But he certainly performed very well. Gough has 6' 6" presence but Hall is very agile.

In reply to NLA: Yes, a lot of them are 17 or younger. Real hope for the future. No doubt, Damian Matthew is getting the very best from these kids.
  • can any of them break into the team this term

jordan's the one i have heard of but what about upfront do we have any talent that we can be excited of
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]can any of them break into the team this term

jordan's the one i have heard of but what about upfront do we have any talent that we can be excited of[/quote]

No, this season would be too soon for them. But they ARE full of promise.
  • Were any other Lifers at the game? I'd love to know what you thought of the kids.
  • Wasn't there but thinking of popping down to Welling on Wednesday.

Will the terrace be open or just the one stand does anyone know?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Were any other Lifers at the game? I'd love to know what you thought of the kids.

I was standing by the corner flag nearest the pavillion, pushing a red double pram. TO be honest, i only saw the 2nd half and was chatting for most of it.

I thought the keeper looked impressive, commanded well, verbally good and paid off a top drawer save.

I thought Cousins had noticeably grown from last season. I'm not sure what his best position is as i have seen him in three different ones now, but i certainly don't think that is a bad thing and like players to be moved around at youth level. I think he has a noticeable excellent technique and a real calmness to his play. He needs to keep growing and developing but i think he has a real chance.

Only the 2nd time i have seen Harriott, but speaking to people in the know he appears to be very highly rated. From what i have seen he still needs to work on when to keep possession and when to be direct, but he has good close control, a bit of a swagger and offensively looks very dangerous. Would like to see more of him though.

Up front, from a distance Azeez reminded me a bit of how Leaburn looked at this age. Thought he did well from the bits i saw.

Overall, i don't think there are too many standouts that i think are on the verge of pushing into the first team fringes yet, i just think they look a good solid team. Hope to see a lot more this season so don't really feel too qualified to spk too much about the other players to be honest.
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Wasn't there but thinking of popping down to Welling on Wednesday.

terrace will definately be open, and the main stand.

Hope to pop over there as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Wasn't there but thinking of popping down to Welling on Wednesday.

terrace will definately be open, and the main stand.

Hope to pop over there as well.

both stands open and all terracing according to Mr Hobbins who just rung my Mum to tell her !!
  • The two most impressive obes for me are Harry Osborne and Connor Morris. Both looked excellent and did the other times I've seen them too