Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First time I've seen Benson live and...

edited October 2010 in General Charlton
I thought he did well yesterday, but I can also see what has bothered people.

Seems to me that he is the player who's been asked to fill Deon Burton's shoes. At this level, those are pretty big shoes. We forget that Deon Burton played in the Prem, and there were times last year when he reminded us of the technique necessary at that level. Benson inevitably doesnt have that technique because he comes from the other end of the league spectrum. Sometime the ball will just run away from him as he traps it, or the flicks won't be quite into the right place.

But if he gets us 20 goals, and on yesterday's performance, he will, then we'll live with that, I guess.

Speaking of premiership players, Neil Mellor was crap, wasnt he?

Comments

• Options
    Good post.
  • Options
    I like Benson as I think he is trying his best. I agree with your post that he lacks Premiership technique but he seems like a proper Charlton player. Hard to explain exactly what I mean, but I think some people on here might understand.
  • Options
    seems like a proper goalscorer whats not to like well impressed by his movement and want to score goals
  • Options
    Best Ive seen of Benson so far, hope he keeps improving. I willing him to score yesterday, would have really made my day. I didnt even realise Mellor was playing to be honest.In fact other than Weaver, I didnt recognise any of the Owls until Morrison came on.
  • Options
    Best I've seen Benson play this season. His overall play was a lot better yesterday and he'll always get into good goalscoring positions. His first touch seriously lets him down sometimes though.
  • Options
    Sounds really positive.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Best I've seen Benson play this season. His overall play was a lot better yesterday and he'll always get into good goalscoring positions. His first touch seriously lets him down sometimes though.

I think one of the problems on first touch is that physically compared to centre halves in this division he is quite light weight os if his touch is slightly off, he is buffetted and loses control.
  • Options
    Benson won quite a bit in the air yesterday too....often finding Anyinsah or space for him to run on to.

Agree with posts above, it was the best game I've seen him have for us.
  • Options
    Benson won everything in the air, showed Abbot how to do it really. Might have been a different story if Purse was playing.

Benson is a player i like, he has worked his arse off to get where he is and has kept that hard-working ethic. Varney has the same work ethic and is a premiership regular.

Give me a player with that attitude and so called limited ability ahead of a lazy apparently gifted player any day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Benson won everything in the air, showed Abbot how to do it really. Might have been a different story if Purse was playing.

Benson is a player i like, he has worked his arse off to get where he is and has kept that hard-working ethic. Varney has the same work ethic and is a premiership regular.

Give me a player with that attitude and so called limited ability ahead of a lazy apparently gifted player any day.

Yep, Benson isn't the most talented but makes the most of what he's got. We need a good team player in there who'll do the unselfishbhard work and Benson does that, another plus is that he likes well with Anyinsah. Hopefully this will be the first choice forward line partnership from here on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5 goals in 10 after a poor start - so in that respect he's better than Burton. The trick is to get strikers that compliment each other. We have a 2nd class Benson in Abbot and a second class Anyinsah in Sodje. If we get injuries, Parky should replace like for like because we have seen Benon and Abbot doesn't work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]I like Benson as I think he is trying his best. I agree with your post that he lacks Premiership technique but he seems like a proper Charlton player. Hard to explain exactly what I mean, but I think some people on here might understand.

Unlike Ralph Milne, perhaps?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Benson won everything in the air, showed Abbot how to do it really. Might have been a different story if Purse was playing.

My opinion is that he challenged for everything in the air, which is good, but didn't win everything in the air, which is less good. (Mind you, he's no Jon Parkin, and was quite a bit shorter than the guy marking him - Beevers.)
  • Options
    I disagree, he won every 50/50 he went for

Centre forwards (ours anyway) usually lose more than they win against half decent centre backs
  • Options
    Benson had a decent first half, I thought.

Anyone know why he was subbed at half time?

What? You mean he wasn't?
  • Options
    Hes now settling into a higher level of football. His contribution at Carlisle and on Saturday was very good. He's making the right runs inside the box and making himself available in build-up play. His link-up play is improving.

Didn't Burton disappear in a number of games last season, particularly away from home? As far as I can recall, he didnt bother his arse if the ball wasn't 100% accurate into his feet or he had to fight for a 50/50.