Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The imminant 90's revival

It seems to go around in a 20 year cycle but as the Suede "best of" album is released and with the reforming of Take That.. I wonder if this is the start of a 90's revival? I kind of hope so.

It's so difficult to decide but if you were to recommend five 90's bands to anyone (no restrictions), who would you suggest?

Comments

• Oasis
    Shed Seven
    Jamiroquai

Can't think of any more.
  • Oasis
    Shed Seven
    Jamiroquai

Can't think of any more.
  • blur, oasis, nirvana, jamiroque, (then either garbage/suede/sleeper) - thatd be the most 90's of my fav bands
  • shit - shed seven/garbage/suede/sleeper option as fith instead, amybe chuck ash as an option as well

but lets be honest the 90's wasnt amazing for legendary bands, who were typically 90's, lots of good live dance acts and shit pop music
  • teenage fanclub
    whiteout
    bluetones
    prodigy
    oasis
  • The 90's and the 00's have been totally destroyed partially thanks to 1. Rap & 2. shows like The X factor.

Then again i am an old git (41) !

Eighties rocks!
  • edited November 2010
    Erm no. Rap in the late 80's up to maybe mid 90's was the bomb. Sure loads of shit like any genre but Public Enemy, Gangstarr, Tribe Called Quest and Wu Tang all knock the piss out of any originality in 99.999% of indie/rock pop of the 90's. But for rock/indie here it is:

Nirvanna
    Faith No More; especially live at Brixton.
    Stone Roses; would be Happy Mondays but Pills n whatever is their only decent 90's album and that's 1990.
    Blur; only 'indie' band to make consistently brilliant records through the 90's.
    The Eels, Sonic Youth and Pavement; all excellent in a lo-fi beautiful way that virtually no one in the UK can do.

Biggest disappointment, after a fine start Oasis. Loved the Bluetones and saw them before they had a single out, but hardly great. Shed Seven did superb singles, but only think there first album was good not great.

The majority of the 90's for rock/pop was boring as shit IMO. No one comes near the Clash and 'Straight To Hell', in making something sonically outstanding, out of so many previous influences. Or indeed New Order, The Cure, EATBM, PIL, Gang of Four and the Psychedelic Furs. Makes me laugh that they all went on a sonic journey in 5-7 years, whilst all the bullshit post-punk crap sound the same album after album for the whole of the noughties..........

I digress.....
  • The eighties have had their time, Personally I'd go for;

Pavement
    Stereolab
    Teenagefanclub
    Oasis
    Pulp (His and Hers as well as Different class)
    Orbital
    Underworld
    Leftfield
    Blur

More bands will come to mind I'm sure... it was a very busy decade :-)
  • Indeed I'd include Leftfield, Prodigy and Sterolab. Forgot about electronica, that was the 90's freshest sound after hip hop.
  • Definately, that was the good thing about the 90's, we'd see a band on Friday and go clubbing on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• OMG it's a mirage! I forgot the Beastie Boys. As the FT once said the world's most bland Dilletantes! If the FT don't like a band, I'm down with the band.
  • oasis
    clint boon experience
    stereophonics
    pulp
    crowded house

on the whole I liked the 90's more than the 80's. The early eighties was pretty good but post live-aid was awful for me. it's got crap again now though and like bedsaddick says it's down to rap and x-factor, although I'd like to add (modern) R&B to that list.
  • I forgot about these lot. Great fun.

Mudhoney
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I forgot about these lot. Great fun.

Mudhoney

My first ever gig. Shepheards bush Empire.

Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth (Look them up they have influenced so many bands.) Soundgarden, The Pixies. Pavement.
  • Bring back the 80s...
  • The 80's have been back.. have you not noticed these tossers walking around in drain pipes and every other band trying to sound like joy division? The 80's was a shit decade to live in. The 90's ruled!
  • I can never believe it when I hear opinions like these spouted about the 90's. The problem with labelling music into decades is that changes in music do not necessarily magically happen when the third digit in the year changes. Not only that but everyone's perception is different.

My perception is that music underwent a change around 1983/84 then again in 88/9, and then again in 94/95 with the media fuelled Britpop labelling which didn't die down until Oasis and Blur stopped squabbling. Personally the best of '90's' for me was the 88/9 - 94/5 period. It seemed to kick-off with The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Charlatans etc and developed into the emergence of what I consider the true greats: Ride, Jesus & Mary Chain, Curve, Lush, Blur,
    (early!) Oasis, Gene, Swervedriver, and Suede as mentionned in the first post, to name but a few. Meanwhile New Order branched off into Electronic, The Manic Street Preachers made the great stuff that everyone now ignores, and other mainstream rock bands like U2 and INXS also made arguably their finest material.

As I say, this is my perception, and my, like everyone else's music tastes, changes and develops. Therefore by the end of the nineties I was perhaps heading in a different direction and listening to different stuff, getting into my mid-late twenties, then perhaps I would have been if I'd still been in my late teens / early twenties at the same period.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bolderhumphreyreid[/cite]Oasis
    Shed Seven
    Jamiroquai

Can't think of any more.

Curbs Eleven .......pretty decent in the 90s.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]The 80's have been back.. have you not noticed these tossers walking around in drain pipes and every other band trying to sound like joy division? The 80's was a shit decade to live in. The 90's ruled!

Agree that it was a shit decade to live in but for music , there is no better.

The Cure
    The Jam
    The Clash
    Depeche Mode
    Elvis Costello
    New Order
    Madness
    Squeeze
    INXS

etc........
  • Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt/Wilco (in fact the emergence of alt.country was the best thing in the 90s for me)
    Teenage Fanclub
    St Etienne
    Calexico
    Sludgefeast (!)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]The 80's have been back.. have you not noticed these tossers walking around in drain pipes and every other band trying to sound like joy division? The 80's was a shit decade to live in. The 90's ruled!

Agree that it was a shit decade to live in but for music , there is no better.

The Cure
    The Jam
    The Clash
    Depeche Mode
    Elvis Costello
    New Order
    Madness
    Squeeze
    INXS

etc........

This illustrates my point about decades:

The Cure, INXS, Depeche Mode, New Order: 80's, 90's or 00's?
    The Jam, The Clash: 70's or 80's?

As for Joy Division being an 80's band, come on! Curtis died in 1980, and unlike INXS, the band didn't just get a new singer and carry on.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I can never believe it when I hear opinions like these spouted about the 90's. The problem with labelling music into decades is that changes in music do not necessarily magically happen when the third digit in the year changes. Not only that but everyone's perception is different.

My perception is that music underwent a change around 1983/84 then again in 88/9, and then again in 94/95 with the media fuelled Britpop labelling which didn't die down until Oasis and Blur stopped squabbling. Personally the best of '90's' for me was the 88/9 - 94/5 period. It seemed to kick-off with The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Charlatans etc and developed into the emergence of what I consider the true greats: Ride, Jesus & Mary Chain, Curve, Lush, Blur,
    (early!) Oasis, Gene, Swervedriver, and Suede as mentionned in the first post, to name but a few. Meanwhile New Order branched off into Electronic, The Manic Street Preachers made the great stuff that everyone now ignores, and other mainstream rock bands like U2 and INXS also made arguably their finest material.

As I say, this is my perception, and my, like everyone else's music tastes, changes and develops. Therefore by the end of the nineties I was perhaps heading in a different direction and listening to different stuff, getting into my mid-late twenties, then perhaps I would have been if I'd still been in my late teens / early twenties at the same period.

Woah Woah Woah Shoegazer Alert! Shoegazer Alert!

Joking aside I love Ride and forget about them to often. As for Lush quite like them, but saw them live quite a few times and they were just shit awful musicians. Quite clearly they could pick a quite good tune, but totally down to their producer IMHO.

I agree things like a lot of life seem to go in 5-7 year cycles. Having said that Modern Life Is Rubbish was 93, just as Madchester was dead for me with the Happy Mondays abominably average 4th album. For me that's their greatest ever album, and amid all the bullshit for me it rang a chord as I loved the Kinks, Small Faces and The Specials. Then I discovered all the post punk stuff...... Became a bullshit mod and at Reading 94 I can assure you there was about ten of us, loving the shit we got from faded Sister's of Mercy freaks.

And in a rambling way that's why boxing music goes in decades for the masses. As more interesting, personal and esoteric recollections are too diverse for the majority of morons.
  • Can't believe no-one has mentioned Gaydad, Menswear or Elastica :-)
  • Chemical Brothers
    The Verve
    Pulp
    Oasis
    Nirvana
    The Levellers
    Ash
    Muse
    Blur
    Carter USM
    The Cranberries
    Suede
    Lightning Seeds

That's the ones I can think of immediately but there are many more ... some decades can be crap but there will always be dozens of names that stand out from the dross
  • edited November 2010
    Radiohead
    Blur
    Eels
    Nirvana
    Prodigy

They'd be my recommendations for a consistently high level of quality records but people like the Stone Roses, Pulp, R.E.M, the Verve, Elastica, Belle and Sebastien, Oasis, Massive Attack and Portishead knocked out some fine records, and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

*Edit: one I forgot was Soundgarden.*
  • Nirvana
    Faith No More
    Pearl Jam
    Orbital
    The Notorious BIG
  • From a music production point of view, I found the general sound of records in the 90's gastly. The fashion was shocking too.
  • And the ridiculous shattering sharp drum sound of the 80's was good?

Don't agree from the stripped electronica to Massive Attack, and hip hop the sound and production just got better for the majority.
  • edited November 2010
    Been getting back into a lot of the stuff I used to like in the 90s... a lot of the indie/rock stuff still sounds fresher than bands today, though maybe that's just a sign of me getting old?

My top 10 is:

Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Faith No More (though to be fair I preferred the Chuck Mosely 80s incarnation)
    Stereolab
    PJ Harvey
    Meat Puppets
    Fugazi
    Moonshake
    The Fatima Mansions
    Blur
    *EDIT* I forgot Portishead, so it's now a top 11 :-)

There was some complete turd put out in the 90s as well, most of it sub-Oasis, keep Chris Evans happy ladrock. If there is a 90s revival, can we please make sure it's not extended to the likes of Dodgy, Space, Toploader, These Animal Men or Gay Dad? Thank you...