Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grant Basey to return in January?

I wasn't at Barnet but the general opinion seems to be that he played well, couple that with PP has been quite complementary about Basey and the fact that the only recognised LB we have is on loan from wetspam does anyone think that Basey might return in January.

Comments

• Options
    In a short answer... no.
  • Options
    Not a chance I don't think. Parky didn't ever really fancy him here, didn't do a lot to get him to stay when he had the chance. I shouldn't think we'll be paying any fees either unless we are promotion bankers by then which seems somewhat far-fetched. He was made to look like Franz bloody Beckenbauer yesterday though!
  • Options
    Once the takeover is complete I shouldn't wonder that Ashley Cole will be our left back.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    He's only on a short term contract there. Think it was until the end of December. So he wouldn't cost anything until he signs a new deal. Can't see him coming back though.
  • Options
    He left.
    End of.

Bringing him back after one good game is pretty over the top.
    Especially seeing as he was up against an abysmal Pav. Abbott in the 2nd half who would make any centre back look half decent!
  • Options
    Wouldn't rule it out as firmly as some have done.

Parky thought enough of him to want to offer him a new contract in the summer. This from Grant's pre-match interview yesterday:

''"There was talk of a new contract at Charlton with revised terms. I agreed, but weeks went by and nothing happened and I then had a chance to go to Aberdeen to play in the Scottish Premier League.''

His Barnet contract is up in January and if Parky wants to strengthen the depth of the squad for the run-in, who knows...

But he's good enough to go somewhere with a guarantee of first team football. Parky probably can't offer that, even if we lose Fry.
  • Options
    Can anyone say we're really missing him this season?
  • Options
    No, cant say i have every really rated him and think league 2 is about his level.
  • Options
    Never say never...

Basey is local and knows the club, left on good terms and will do a job.

Of our left-backs Youga is out for the season, Fry might get recalled (possible) and Jackson is better in left midfield, and if Reid's injury problems return he'll play there as first choice to replace Reid. I'd rather Basey returned if we needed a LB, we've hardly got the money to buy in a player and most likely we'd find ourselves taking in another loanee who isurplus to requirements at their club and most likely lacking match and physical fitness, so it's unlikely that we'd get a better player than Basey and both he and the club will know that he'd be playing for a new contract and most likely his career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]No, cant say i have every really rated him and think league 2 is about his level.

Agree, maybe if he gets a bit of the weight off and with a bit more experience he could be a mid-lower end of league one player - but in all honesty we can probably do better than Grant, even if it's for back up.
  • Options
    Well, I'd welcome him back to take our corners ....... loads of goal assists last season from Basey's corners!

Where we'd play him in the team to best advantage, I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    I can't remember scoring from any corners last year?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I thought Grant played well Saturday , but if I had to make a choice I feel both Fry and Jackson are better players. I do agree it would be nice to have another Left back in the squad bearing in mind Youga's problems.

I liked Grant but his pace let him down at Left back , I note Barnet used him as a left sided Centre Half which his probably his best position. As for left footed corners and free kicks I think Jacko is a better option .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_joe[/cite]I can't remember scoring from any corners last year?

At least 3 of S.Sodje's goals were from corners, plus Dailly's goal on the opening day against Wycombe, and the play off home game against Swindon. Our corners were excellent last year.
  • Options
    I don't think Basey played against Wycombe or in the Play Offs.
  • Options
    I imagine the 'revised terms' that we orginally offered him would be further 'revised' if he came back with his tail between his legs. I understand a number of other clubs were in for him so I would have thought he would take up one of those offers instead.

However his placement of balls in set peices was second to none.
  • Options
    most of the corners were either bailey, shelvey, borrowdale or richardson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I don't think Basey played against Wycombe or in the Play Offs.

But the statement I was answering claimed that we didn't score from any corners last season.
  • Options
    He's just been let go by Barnet for 'a lack of dedication'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: HWakefield[/cite]He's just been let go by Barnet for 'a lack of dedication'.

Surprised at that, thought he had being doing ok there, certainly looked good against us. However he did score a comedy own goal on Monday.
  • Options
    what a way to bow out though!
  • Options
    Dedication's what you need .... if you wanna be a professional footballer.
  • Options
    Parky said something similar when we let him go. He returned from injury carrying too much timber and didn't really shift it.

Really surprised he didn't learn his lesson after spending a few months in limbo and without a club. You'd think he'd kick on and sort himself out unless he has something lined up
  • Options
    May struggle to find another league club, does not look too good- being let go for lack of dedication.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ...SPARTANS!
  • Options
    What about Jon Jo on loan? Uncle?
  • Options
    Glad to see Basey didn't let me down! Too slow, too fat and never going to be good enough for us.

Simples.
  • Options
    Glad to see Basey didn't let me down! Too slow, too fat and never going to be good enough for us.

Simples.