Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Walking Dead

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
New Zombie based horror series - anyone watch this the other night? I thought it was quite promising for a first episode although I'm not usually a horror watcher (seeing Charlton trying to defend over the last 4 years has been scary enough) so any aficionadoes may think differenetly. Seems quite an ambitious scale show for TV.

The first episode is on FX again in 10 mins if you missed it.

Comments

• Options
    I thought it was good, not as good as Dead Set a couple of years ago but it should only get better.

Was tense in parts and I liked the level of gore for the first episode. Not mega but graphic enough
  • Options
    Yeah - downloaded and watched it last week. Pretty good - the director (Frank Darabont) made 'The Mist' (the best adaptation of a 'true' Stephen King book (i.e. horror - not The Shawshank Redemption) I've seen yet). Definitely think it will be worth watching all the way through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Yeah - downloaded and watched it last week. Pretty good - the director (Frank Darabont) made 'The Mist' (the best adaptation of a 'true' Stephen King book (i.e. horror - not The Shawshank Redemption) I've seen yet). Definitely think it will be worth watching all the way through.

I liked The Mist but it wasnt better than The Shining , Misery or Carrie.
  • Options
    Big zombie fan, George A Romero's original Dead Trilogy are 3 of my favourite films so was really looking forward to this. Thought it was brilliant. Really well done with superb cinematography. The half zombie crawling across the grass looked amazing! Roll on next week.
  • Options
    The series has gone down a storm in the US - I've seen some later episodes and it just gets better - another season has already been commissioned.
  • Options
    The series has gone down a storm in the US - I've seen some later episodes and it just gets better - another season has already been commissioned.
  • Options
    Anyone see Fridays episode? This shizzle is getting better
  • Options
    Yeah - it's really good.

Dexter is still the best thing on TV by a mile though. This series is incredible.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Yeah - downloaded and watched it last week. Pretty good - the director (Frank Darabont) made 'The Mist' (the best adaptation of a 'true' Stephen King book (i.e. horror - not The Shawshank Redemption) I've seen yet). Definitely think it will be worth watching all the way through.

I liked The Mist but it wasnt better than The Shining , Misery or Carrie.
    Interesting. I love the Shining, but don't see it as a particularly faithful adaptation of the book - more like a completely different work in its own right. Carrie is good for its time, but looks horribly, horribly dated now, and I thought Misery (Kathy Bates' bravura performance aside) was crap. The Mist made me remember the story I read twenty-five years ago as a kid and go back to read it again - the film really is as good as the book - the icing on the cake, for me, being the less ambiguous (and devastating) ending.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Yeah - it's really good.

Dexter is still the best thing on TV by a mile though. This series is incredible.

Are you talking about Season 5 of Dexter? Have to say have found it a little disappointing. No spoliers but the way the central characters are developing just doesn't work for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've only seen the first season of Dexter, Charlie Brooker ripped it to shreds (not like him is it) but I haven't had a chance to see any more of it.

My housemate watches that and The Shield non-stop on DVD. I'll give it a go eventually.

Anyway the zombie thing is good
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Yeah - it's really good.

Are you talking about Season 5 of Dexter? Have to say have found it a little disappointing. No spoliers but the way the central characters are developing just doesn't work for me.
    Really? I think it's the best since Season 2 so far. Julia Stiles' character is awesome, and the interplay between her and Dexter is superb. The previous three weeks have ramped it right up - I think the last four weeks of this season might be as good as the show has ever been, if not better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Really? I think it's the best since Season 2 so far. Julia Stiles' character is awesome, and the interplay between her and Dexter is superb. The previous three weeks have ramped it right up - I think the last four weeks of this season might be as good as the show has ever been, if not better.

Is season 5 on UK TV yet? Just finished watching season 4.

Think Walking Dead is really good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]

Nah - waiting a year is for chumps. I download it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]

Nah - waiting a year is for chumps. I download it.

Ha ha, thanks, will wait like a chump ;-)
  • Options
    General Charlton thread?
  • Options
    Massive geek announcment. I'm also a big Zombie fan, I read all the Walking Dead graphic novels before the series began and it's only going to get better.

This series is only 6 episodes, and looks like it takes in the first / first half of the first graphic novel (13th is released next week)

But big thumbs up on the TV series for me, books get too dark for TV at points so imagine they'll be a few bits they'll skim over but really like what i've seen so far.

and anyone knows Fringe is the best thing on TV at the moment alongside Walking Dead
  • Options
    Yeah Fringe and Walking Dead are the shows of the moment for me too. Frank Darabont's only directed one episode, but you can see his influence on much of the writing. I made my judgment based on the opening 5 minutes of the first show. The script was class. Andrew Lincoln is very, very good too. While Fringe has been quite enough to fill my post-Lost TV hole, Walking Dead is helping to plug the gaps.
  • Options
    Completely agree, seems like a very good adaptation from the first couple of episodes.

Only seen up until 4, but Dexter, for me has gone down the comic route and never recaptured the brilliance of the first series and I'm not going to waste anymore time on it. Rebadge it "Ooops Daddy's a Serial Killer", make it even more about the adopted family, add some amusing trumpet music and have the ghost of Harry shaking his fist at every bit of serial killing based tomfoolery that Dexter gets himself in. Every episode ends with his wondercop sister bungling into the clutches of a different bad serial killer. Throw in a few celebrity cameos and you could be looking at the new My Two Dads
  • Options
    Watched Episode 3 last night. Think it's very good and the English teacher plays an american very well. Glad they've commissioned another series.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved Dead Set, which was written by Charlie Brooker, but can't stop thinking what would you do yourself in that situation?

All the "zombies" at the gate and you need to get past them. Not enough ammo for head shots. Only way to clear them I could see was to douse 'em in fuel and add a spark.
  • Options
    Ive been watching this. Very good so far
  • Options
    I have just started watching it and it's very good.

For those knock off nigel's who download torrents ( I'm one of them!) , there is a series being shown in American at the moment called Boardwalk Empire. Starring Steve Buscumi and Stephen Graham ( as Al Capone) set in the 20's and its about the mobsters during prohibition !
    It's directed by Martin Scorsese! It's due to be shown here sometime next year. It's Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fpNXPVG1k
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Loved Dead Set, which was written by Charlie Brooker, but can't stop thinking what would you do yourself in that situation?

All the "zombies" at the gate and you need to get past them. Not enough ammo for head shots. Only way to clear them I could see was to douse 'em in fuel and add a spark.
    Crawl through their legs. They never seem to do anything other than shamble around with their arms up. Of course, if they're the 28 Days Later kind, you're fucked.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Loved Dead Set, which was written by Charlie Brooker, but can't stop thinking what would you do yourself in that situation?

Crawl through their legs. They never seem to do anything other than shamble around with their arms up. Of course, if they're the 28 Days Later kind, you're fucked.

Ones in Deadset could move quickly. Prefer them to be Sean of the Dead stylee, much easier to decapitate unless your using old skool 12" discs.
  • Options
    Boardwalk Empire will be on Sky next year. Not on Sky1 or Movies... but Sky Atlantic, the home of every single HBO show ever made!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

Ones in Deadset could move quickly. Prefer them to be Sean of the Dead stylee, much easier to decapitate unless your using old skool 12" discs.

That is funny, New Order... No!!!

I'd torch the buggers too - I can't believe I've just suggested what I would do to a horde of reanimated dead people!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not sure about burning then, they wouldn't die till their brain is burnt away and at that stage you'd be covered by fire and would be trapped. World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide booth by Max Brooks are really good zombie novels if you're into stuff like the walking dead etc etc. Also that Sky Atlantic thing sound pretty cool, HBO is the godfather for tv shows.
  • Options
    Great series so far. Best thing on the telly at the mo just edges Misfits. Dead Set wasn't quite as good but still enjoyable. A mates sister was an extra in that and I kept watching the same scene over and over to try and spot her so might have ruined it a bit for myself.

Friend at work said that they made the lead guy who I've had a thing for since he was in Teachers, live in the area to get the accent down quite a while before filming (yes I'm of the non dangly bits in the groinal area before someone asks yet again). imo think he's quite convincing and love that they made a Brit the lead. I'm a bit biased though.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Like I said in the first post, horror isn't usually my favourite genre but I'm really getting into this now. The last episode was a cracker and the series seems to be really getting going now. Thank goodness for this, Peep Show and The Apprentice (bit trashy but I like it) otherwise I'd have now't to watch at all on TV.

As for the best way to combat a Zombie - I'd be trying to stay smart and silent and if I had to move around, do it as quickly and covertly as I could. Getting up somewhere high would seem a smart move - maybe build a tree house and live live like an Ewok (Zombies can't climb trees right?)