Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would you rather

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Charlton get to the final of the ST Johnstones paint trophy or to get an FA cup tie with either Man u, Arsenal or Chelsea away from home?

I would love Charlton to get a good FA cup run and get tied with the likes of those teams.

My answer would be FA cup tie away at Old Trafford.

Comments

• Options
    Final JPT
  • Options
    Promotion...... Whilst passing the Scum and Nigels going the other way.
  • Options
    In one we would be pluckey Charlton
    In the other it would be "3 years ago.... blah blah ....Premiership blah blah
    Tough one isnt it?
    Not interested in either, I want to concentrate on the league.
  • Options
    Final JPT, I couldn't stomach 90 minutes of "premier league and you f****ed it up" from either of those 3's wanky fans.
  • Options
    JPT Final. Trips to the likes of Old Trafford were a regular occurance until relatively recently. Hasn't quiet been long enough for me just yet to be yearning a return.
  • Options
    Wembley.
  • Options
    Promotion,..... end of.

A small FA Cup run........ (Ok we've probably had that already )

JPT, completely pointless comp in my view, just an excuse to get more injuries, play more games and mess up the promotion bid.

Sooner out of it the better.
  • Options
    JPT
  • Options
    JPT

Good question though.
  • Options
    The league of corse is the main priority but I think a good Prem FA tie would give the team and the fans a boost and a bit of excitment. Imagine Benson getting a last minite winner against Chelsea...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously I want promotion the most end of.

But of the options given --> JPT final at Wembley 100%.

I've seen us win at Stamford Bridge, Highbury, White Hart Lane, Villa Park, Maine Road, draw at Anfield, draw at Eastlands etc. which is enough for now. Obviously getting a big name away draw in FACR3 would be a class day out but not a patch on a visit to Wembley.
  • Options
    JPT,
  • Options
    Thing is everyone knows we would get mullered if we got one of those FA Cup ties and the day out would just be a bit tarnished afterwards by nostalgia and patronising mates! Things like Leeds last year don't happen to Charlton!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Final JPT, I couldn't stomach 90 minutes of "premier league and you f****ed it up" from either of those 3's wanky fans.

this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Penfolds Perm[/cite]Promotion...... Whilst passing the Scum and Nigels going the other way.

100% this anything else dont really care, same saturday i really couldnt care whether we went through would rather us concentrate on league its a cliche but still i would
  • Options
    Wembley and knocked out in the 3rd round at Old Trafford in front of 77,000 would be fine. Much needed money in Sebastian's coffers ;-)) and hopefully some silverware in the JPT.
  • Options
    Wembley will do
  • Options
    1. Promotion
    2. JPT
    3. FA Cup
  • Options
    I was suprised Parky played the full team at Barnet I must admit - they looked a little tired or at least not 100% up for it IMO. Think he will make some changes for tomorrow so it may be that he is putting the FA Cup on a higher priority. It is true that if we make it past Barnet and Corby or Luton, we could have a useful payday which we will only get from the JPT if we reach the final. As a fan, I think a trip to Wembley is overdue and might be that beacon which says we are now on an upwards curve, so for me JPT is more important as we have no chance of getting to Wembley through the FA Cup.

Of course- promotion has to be our number 1 goal and no cup should be allowed to affect that aim.
  • Options
    It is a good question...

promotion

Therefore worried about injuries and cards in the rest. Bloody Barnet replay...

On balance, FA Cup run. But then again Wembley will probably produce more dosh,and the Cup can distract, as Leeds found out.

Promotion, and whatever else comes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whichever is worth more money. I think that means the JPT
  • Options
    F.A Cup away draw for me.

The thought of our first trip to the new Wembley being in the jpt is so negitave . The cup is for sh!t teams who have no chance of getting there otherwise.
    We should aim to get there otherwise.
    Play offs or F.A Cup are the only way i would want to see us there.
  • Options
    think FA Cup is potentially more money than JPT.
  • Options
    i think scunthorpe got to the final of the jpt and won promotion a few years back, so it is possible.
    but i'd much rather we got promotion over anything else
  • Options
    Seeing as we are playing Southend I will say the JPT over the FA Cup.

You just know we will get to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and get turned over by Dover.
  • Options
    On the basis that we now have a team which is gelling, I am of the view that more JPT games are better for us.
    Putting the players under a bit of cup excitement should bond them as well - and with low expectations they may even enjoy a cup run.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]think FA Cup is potentially more money than JPT.

Carlisle got about £500k from the JPT.
    Southampton got over £1m

FA Cup depends on what attendance Man Utd etc would get for a youth/reserves match against Charlton
  • Options
    JPT final.

As other posters have said, I've seen us play at all the big grounds, and although I missed the win in 1986 at old trafford and the one in 2002 at Highbury, even playing against their youngsters we would get mullered...........not sure even the gate receipt money would help that greatly either.

A HOME tie against Spurs or W Ham in the 3rd round would be ok.
  • Options
    I think the potential for an embarrassing attendance at a JPT final is very real. If and when we do get to the new Wembley i'd like it to be for a proper game like a play off final or a League or FA Cup where we would have no trouble filling it. The JPT would be like a 'bath with your socks on' type of affair and although i never want Charlton to lose, if we tipped out of it next round i wouldn't be dissapointed.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]think FA Cup is potentially more money than JPT.

Carlisle got about £500k from the JPT.
    Southampton got over £1m

FA Cup depends on what attendance Man Utd etc would get for a youth/reserves match against Charlton

Exactly and that's assuming that we get a "BIG" draw. FA Cup attendances bar for a minority of clubs are on the whole fairly poor. If we were in the hat for the third round draw we'd have a 20/63 chance of drawing a PL club and for arguments' sake roughly a 6/63 chance of a "BIG" draw depending on the definition and classification used. So basically, a circa 5% chance of an away draw to a "BIG" club if that pool were Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Spurs for example.

Winning the JPT = guaranteed money-spinner and trip to Wembley.

As someone tongue in cheek pointed out above, getting to the FACR3 is just as likely to lead to Dover (or someone of that ilk) as it is to Manchester!