Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend away 9/11/10 - JPT Pre-match views and poll

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Another day, another game.

A match whose significance can be judged by any number of different criteria. A chance to get to Wembley, to stretch an unbeaten and clean sheet run, to rest some players and give others game time or just another 90 minutes (plus pens perhaps) to get out of the way, injury and suspension free, before the real stuff commences again at Peterboro.

at worst it means some actual ball kicking to talk about rather than t***o****s

Southend is close enough while Roots Hall's old fashioned away end plus memories of last year's come from behind victory on a Friday night may tempt a few more than normal out of doors for a JPT game. Plenty more will shrug their shoulders with indifference at both the game and competition (unless we lose of course when it will then take on huge significance).

Robbie Elliot has been quoted as saying more games the better to help gel the team and increase fitness which might hint at a strong side. Rules mean that at least six of the regular starting XI or the last starting XI or the next starting XI have to play. Or something like that. I wonder if anyone is really counting but some changes seem likely.

Smokin' Joe Anyinsah went off injured at Barnet leaving little pace up front but Martin will be available again and may want to renew the partnership with Abbott that produced goals v Shewsbury.

McCormack will want a start against his old club as will the almost certain to start Francis. Macca could replace either of the centre mid pair.

Fortune must also expect to get a game sometime and with his contract only having weeks to run badly needs more outings if he is to prove his worth but the defence is starting to look solid. Another dilemma for Phil.

My guess is that Parky had already picked his teams for both this weeks games before the FA Cup trip and that we'll see a few but not too many changes.

Southend have struggled since relegation last year but they did beat promotion contenders Rotherham last week and overcome Barnet 3 - 1 in the last round of the JPT so this will not be a walk-over.

However I still expect an unspectacular 1 - 0 away win with our first penalty of the season.

Comments

• Options
    Really fancy going but the train back is not good if it goes to pens or exra time.

The father-in-law was driving but has now backed out.....

Fancy us 1 or 2 nil. Few changes from Saturday. Anyinsah definitely rested. Think Akpo might get a look in as will McCormack and Fortune. Would personally go for the following:

Worner
    Francis
    Doherty
    Fortune
    Fry
    Martin
    Racon
    McCormack
    Reid
    Sodje
    Benson

Not sure if that covers the 6 regular starters though.
  • Options
    We should win, but this is Charlton in a cup competition. Few changes this time I think, was surprised when there were none at all on Saturday, but don't think Parky will play the same team again.
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Really fancy going but the train back is not good if it goes to pens or exra time.
    JPT games go straight to penalties.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We should win, but this is Charlton in a cup competition. Few changes this time I think, was surprised when there were none at all on Saturday, but don't think Parky will play the same team again.
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Really fancy going but the train back is not good if it goes to pens or exra time.
    JPT games go straight to penalties.

Good point.
  • Options
    Away end includes north block nd right..
  • Options
    Should be a good game . Hopefully we win il go with 2-0 Benno and Abbot to score.

Team:
    Worner
    Francis
    Fortune
    Daily (c)
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    McCormack
    Semedo
    Reid
    Sodje
    Benson

Subs:
    Elliot
    Doherty
    Racon
    Martin
    Abbot
  • Options
    i've opened this thread accidentally and i've got to comment now,for tradidition but really i could not have any less interest in the outcome of this game.
  • Options
    I thought I had less than zero interest in this lower league pub competition until I went to the mk dons match
    and was pleased to see a victory but as time has worn on my apathy for it has returned and this is a nuisance
    as much as a day out at wembley would please our day tripping/inside the M25/new ground part of our support , this being printed onto our limited honours list would be all too much of a reminder as to what a poor excuse for a "role model" football club that we have become and for it to be so soon after tasting the high life is just a stark reminder at some of the monumental amateur decisions that have been taken by those unlucky/lucky enough to be in the position to make them
    I fancy a comfortable victory all the same and I'm currently 33% will go to the game, 66% will stay indoors and put the kids to bed before wasting another 2 hours of my life reading charlton life and 1% will start to go the game hit some M25 traffic and find an excuse to go back home
  • Options
    Anyone know how many tickets we have sold? Gonna drive down there after work, I think this has penalties written all over it.
  • Options
    Elliot
    Francis
    Dailiy
    Fortune
    Fry
    Jackson
    McCormack
    Racon
    Reid
    Abbot
    Benson
  • Options
    really fancy this and still undecided whether to drive down or not, depends what time I get away this afternoon. A few changes I suspect Mac to come in for Semedo and Martin and Abbott to start up top, maybe Fortune in for Dailly as well.

Other than that i reckon a 2-0 win for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to drive up late if i can get away from work.
  • Options
    It is peeing it down in not so sunny Southend at the moment but still looking forward to it tonight.
  • Options
    I've voted for a win, my head is saying 1-0, my opitimisum wants to say 3-0, I just hope its a win!!
    However I am concerned that its yet another match where we could pick up an injury or two to 'key' players - because of the silly 6 player rule - which may affect us in the league, especially with such an important away game coming up at Peterborough on Saturday.
    United are going to be 'up for it' - they will see it as their cup final and wanting to put one over us. I hope my concerns are ill-founded and all turns out well with a win and no injuries, bookings or sending offs!
    Sadly cant listen to it or report on it here as I'm at work from 4 to midnight, just hope to see good news when I get home in the early hours of tomorrow.
    Hope all that are going enjoy themselves and the journey home.
  • Options
    Worner
    Francis Fortune Doherty Fry
    Martin Racon McCormack Reid
    Sodje Abbott

Give Sodje a chance up front, and Abbott to see if he can get some form and he also seems to score in the cups for us.

Fortune and McCormack for some game time.

Ayinsah rested for the league and he seems a bit injury prone, give Dailly and Semedo a rest

I think we'll win
  • Options
    What a happy soul you are, ooohaah !

Whether we like it or not, we are where we are. FACT !

And if that means a trip to the Costa Del Southend on a wet, windy November evening, so be it.

Of course it's another potential banana skin ; of course Parky might rather have a match free week until the important game at Peterborough on Saturday and of course we'll be praying for an injury free game tonight....

But it's just another match for the diehards ( or should that be masochists?) like myself who give their support whenever it's possible with the hope that another victory will be a further step in the "gelling" process we speak about and enhance the confidence that our team was lacking a few weeks back.

Yes, it would be great to visit the "new" Wembley ( if we can afford the tickets) but for me, that's just a perk - the continuation of winning ways and the obvious benefits that gives to everyone concerned with our Club is what really counts.

I'm proud to be one of the 33% so that you, as one of the 66% can have a stress free evening in the warm and reap the benefits if we succeed in this competition.

See you at Wembley, mate , or on second thoughts, you'll probably be washing your hair.....
  • Options
    A 2-0 charlton win for me 2night, looking forward to be going aswell for some reason, think it might be an intresting one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]What a happy soul you are, ooohaah !

Whether we like it or not, we are where we are. FACT !.

Or are we, will we suddenly wake up and Curbs walk out of the shower Bobby Ewingesque and we find we are still in the prem? and the only relevance Johnstone Paint has to us is the can we brought in Homebase.
  • Options
    I really can't decide whether or not to go tonight - I live on that side of the pond so thats not a concern.

My wife isn't well so I should probably go home and look after her and put our daughter to bath and bed
    And Call of Duty came out today so I could play that

But part of me just can't resist those boys in red - especially as my mate is a Shrimper and will be there

I think I'll put in a call to the Mrs and see how she is feeling - just in case she's had a Lazarus-style return to health
  • Options
    How many we sold?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I really can't decide whether or not to go tonight - I live on that side of the pond so thats not a concern.

My wife isn't well so I should probably go home and look after her and put our daughter to bath and bed
    And Call of Duty came out today so I could play that

But part of me just can't resist those boys in red - especially as my mate is a Shrimper and will be there

I think I'll put in a call to the Mrs and see how she is feeling - just in case she's had a Lazarus-style return to health

Seems Lazarus hasn't been seen anywhere near my house - the reaper is more likely. I guess that answers that one then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think this will suffice:

Worner
    Francis----Dailly--Fortune----Fry
    Semedo
    Wagstaff
    Jackson
    Racon
    Benson---Anyinsah

Though I am positive Racon and Semedo will be side by side.
  • Options
    I think we will win after going behind. Score 1-2 Abbott & Wagstaff
  • Options
    Opted out of predicting a Barnet win on Saturday and of course we drew so gone back to what works and predected a Shrimpers success. Me predicting wins for opponents is what we can attribute our recent good run to. It must be.
  • Options
    Anybody heard how Joe is by the way. I assumed it was just a precaution on Saturday. Too important a player for us to lose to injury at the moment.
  • Options
    Quite a few Charlton on my train out of the City bizarrely.

Railway Tavern is the best pre match pub for beer and nibbles.

Think we will get turned over tonight.
  • Options
    No way will we get turned over 2nite!
  • Options
    Pen heartbreak
  • Options
    Looking forward to this one - currently living in Benfleet and missed the away game last year due to kids being in Oliver Twist at the Swain school. (Reid scored just as my lad was killing Nancy, I had the BBC Essex commentary on my earphone and the celebration was possibly mis-interpreted by some other parents). Southend have a decent record in this competition and could be a tricky one. A win on penalties is my best guess.
  • Options
    ive got a really good feeling about this game.... Charlton 2- Southend 0. Goals from Benson 9' and Racon 75'.

Elliot, Francis, Fortune, Dailly, Fry, Waggy, Racon, Semedo, McCormack, Martin, Benson

Come On You REDS!!!!!!