Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Civil War, 150 years on

IAIA
edited November 2010 in Not Sports Related
For any history buffs out there, the New York Times are reporting on the American Civil War as it happens, 150 years later. It seems a really interesting approach to history, and it's very well-written.

If you think you might be interested, have a look

Link

Comments

• Options
    Interesting, although many Americans will tell you that the Civil War, in its truest sense, still continues to this day.....
  • Options
    prefer the bubble gum cards - They were the best. Still have my confederate money but no cards. Think my brother must have them.

More seriously check out the Ken Burns civil war documentary on DVD. Well worth the price.

Also a new book out "the world on fire" about British and Irish people who fought on both sides and the impact of the war in the UK.
  • Options
    I was Sales Director of a company in the UK based in Memphis who had been bought out by a company in New Jersey. They wouldn't co-operate with me in either place because they each thought I was a spy from the other. Believe me, the Civil War goes on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Interesting, although many Americans will tell you that the Civil War, in its truest sense, still continues to this day.....

[cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I was Sales Director of a company in the UK based in Memphis who had been bought out by a company in New Jersey. They wouldn't co-operate with me in either place because they each thought I was a spy from the other. Believe me, the Civil War goes on.

That's really interesting. I enjoy reading up on the Civil War, a very interesting moment in history (and also a good example of how history is written by the victor). But I never realised that the effects of a conflict 150 years ago still resonated in contemporary society. In what ways does it manifest itself (apart from Rednecks with confederate flags) ?
  • Options
    For some reason I love reading and watching anything about this war.

I always wanted a confederate victory as a kid in any of the movies i guess i was just brought up backing the losing side ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Interesting, although many Americans will tell you that the Civil War, in its truest sense, still continues to this day.....

[cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I was Sales Director of a company in the UK based in Memphis who had been bought out by a company in New Jersey. They wouldn't co-operate with me in either place because they each thought I was a spy from the other. Believe me, the Civil War goes on.

That's really interesting. I enjoy reading up on the Civil War, a very interesting moment in history (and also a good example of how history is written by the victor). But I never realised that the effects of a conflict 150 years ago still resonated in contemporary society. In what ways does it manifest itself (apart from Rednecks with confederate flags) ?

Jeez mate, we could be here all night discussing that one!

The North/South thing has never really gone away, although it has changed in some ways to now being a struggle between rural and urban America (the liberal coasts versus the conservative heartlands) which is also a battle between secular America and the Christianists.

Just look at the Tea Party backlash against President Obama - and there are no prizes for what is really fuelling that - to see if there are still plenty of embers burning in America's racial fires.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]prefer the bubble gum cards.

Blood and guts stuff they were!
  • Options
    ... and another.
  • Options
    How much would a set of those cost now? £100s I guess.
  • Options
    depends on condition

Like you I had a set once but lost in a move in the past ... might be cheaper than first thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've still got some of the bubble gum dollars and a couple of cards in a biscuit tin somewhere, along with loads of cards from the tea packets, Zoom ice lollies and the 'pre-wars' from fag packets.

Ah, to be 9 years old again ......
  • Options
    £35 is tempting but...

when I was a child I thought as a child and saw as a child.
    Now I am a man I see through a glass darkly.

I think that is how it goes.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]£35 is tempting but...

when I was a child I thought as a child and saw as a child.
    Now I am a man I see through a glass darkly.

I think that is how it goes.

yeah, we're all grown up ... have to put away 'childish things' ... tempting though isn't it lol
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I must say that the Americans do their Civil War Visitor Centres (sic) very well indeed.

Gettysburg has to be the best, but I've done Antietam and Manassas too. There's something quite incredible about still being able to see the bullet holes in buildings or standing by the same rock as the one pictured in photographs taken at the time of the conflict.

For those with a sense of history, take the time when you next visit the US. It ain't Florida, but a trip to one of the main battle sites is a remarkable day out.
  • Options
    Cool when my strangling internet rate get's back to normal will have a look at that. Cheers IA.

Love US presidential history right about up to this point. Buchannan really came in at an impossible time to manage the divergent states. He also came in at a time when the US seemed to have the worst pocket of Presidents they've ever had. Then they got Lincoln. Still need to get round to reading that book Gods and Generals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    More seriously check out the Ken Burns civil war documentary on DVD. Well worth the price.

Henry, do you know the title of this?
    Been looking for a decent Doc for a while.
  • Options
    Is it the famous one with Morgan Freeman's outstanding narration?
  • Options
    It's just called "The American Civil War" by Ken Burns

Amazon link

Has a whole raft of great actors narratting but the star is Shelby Foote, the Southern historian.

There is also a book which is excellent too
  • Options
    I've tried getting Foote's massive trilogy on the ACW but it seems to be out of print in the UK. McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom is very good (and a single volume). Doris Goodwin's Team of Rivals isn't really about the ACW but Lincoln's cabinet during it. It's a remarkable book though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's just called "The American Civil War" by Ken Burns

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Civil-War-film-Burns/dp/B002QFZD54/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1289328718&sr=1-1]Amazon link[/url]

Has a whole raft of great actors narratting but the star is Shelby Foote, the Southern historian.

There is also a book which is excellent too

Shelby Foote (RIP) narrates Ken Burns' DVD superbly ... he has a wonderful Southern drawl.

But the book(s) to buy are his three-volume set entitled "The Civil War: A Narrative".

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780394495170/Civil-3-Volume-Box-Set-Foote-0394495179/plp

They are phenomenal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks for reminding me about the cards, they were absolutely brilliant and very bloody, considering they were being sold to children and I totally forgot about the money.
  • Options
    Cool Ken Burns' looks like a new one. Can't wait. Download!
  • Options
    Ah it was the one I was thinking of. Funny how your memory muscle completely changes reality. I only remember Morgan Freeman as narrator.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, does anyone on here remember the WWII series on ITV in the 60s called All Our Yesterdays. Same idea as above, showed newsreel footage from 25 years previous. Absolutely gripping. Taught me so much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]Slightly off topic, does anyone on here remember the WWII series on ITV in the 60s called All Our Yesterdays. Same idea as above, showed newsreel footage from 25 years previous. Absolutely gripping. Taught me so much.

I hope a newspaper does it for WWI from 2014 on.
  • Options
    There are 88 cards to the American Civil War set, it took me many years to complete the set but I finally got the elusive no.88 (marker card) a couple of years ago off EBay...

The cards are categorised according to condition and their value is set accordingly, they are not that rare as there are millions of them printed...

Around about the same time, mid 1960s, there was a British version of WWII 'Battle' cards printed which were just as gory...

The Yanks then produced 'War News', a WWII series of famous pictures from the conflict...