Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good idea or bad

We got told last night that a meeting has taken place and Sir Trev Brooking is now pushing forward the idea that 10 year olds will not go from 7 aside football to 11 a side there will be an interim system where they go into 9 a side season on bigger pitches than 7 aside with offside rules.

I take it from the email that the goals will be the same size as the current junior goals on an 11 a side pitch.

Whats peoples thoughts especially those who have active involvement with junior teams

Things to think about

How available the new size pitches will be to local councils and the cost implications to them and self funded clubs,

Will it ensure more ball time for the children

Will it aid their understanding of the game

Will it make offsides harder to get to grips with

Will we now be encouraging children to play 3 at the back

what do we think the outcome for the pro game will be

Me i think it has some great benefits but some real cost implications to some clubs..

but the jury is out for me

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Trev. It's just too be a step up at the moment, so I think an interim is a good idea. When they start 11 a side at the moment the kids just aren't strong enough to kick the ball a reasonable distance up the pitch. This means that games tend to degenerate into a swarm without much shape. I think the acid test is that when the majority of goalkeepers in an age group can do a drop kick and reach the half way line then the kids are big enough to progress to a full size pitch.

That said, thinking about our local rec. I'm not sure where you'd fit an extra pitch in.
  • Options
    I agree mate with all you have said I think in principle its a great forward thinking moment from the fa.

Let's just hope that the government cuff don't influence the decision and if they do hopefully the fa will put some cash in to pay for the pitches