Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3rd Choice - Sodje or Abbott?

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I think most would say that our first choice front 2 is Anyinsah and Benson, but Parky seems to favour Abbott as third choice. I must admit that this baffles me as IMO Sodje would be by far a better alternative. I'm under no illusions about the shortcomings in his game and I know he can have real stinkers but he does have the physicality and pace to keep defenders honest where as from what I have seen, Abbott is pretty innefective. Also, Sodje looked excellent when he came on with Anyinsah agaisnt Notts County and maybe Parky is missing a trick here. Ask yourselves - if you had to pick facing Abbott or Sodje - who would you choose? He may not be fully fit or there may be other reasons but or 3rd choice striker is quite an important position and getting it wrong could cost us so I hope if Sodje is fit- Parky has a good think about this.

Comments

• Options
    Tuna.
  • Options
    Akpo did his knee a few games back. If he is not fully fit then that could be why he appears to be 4th striker at the moment.
  • Options
    Akpo has been on the bench for the past few weeks.

Akpo also has a fairly decent gals to game ratio for us, and I would think he would score more goals than Abbott over a season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I think most would say that our first choice front 2 is Anyinsah and Benson, but Parky seems to favour Abbott as third choice. I must admit that this baffles me as IMO Sodje would be by far a better alternative. I'm under no illusions about the shortcomings in his game and I know he can have real stinkers but he does have the physicality and pace to keep defenders honest where as from what I have seen, Abbott is pretty innefective. Also, Sodje looked excellent when he came on with Anyinsah agaisnt Notts County and maybe Parky is missing a trick here. Ask yourselves - if you had to pick facing Abbott or Sodje - who would you choose? He may not be fully fit or there may be other reasons but or 3rd choice striker is quite an important position and getting it wrong could cost us so I hope if Sodje is fit- Parky has a good think about this.

seriously, if you stuck the ball on the penalty spot with an empty goal in front of them and gave Abbott and Sodje ten shots each you'd get your answer. And it wouldn't be Akpo.
  • Options
    Sodje, no contest, how many good players ever came out of Oldham on a free ?
  • Options
    Both Sodje and Abbott will have a part to play this season. I think they both have something to offer in League 1, even if they are both awkward players who are difficult to watch at times. Everyone said Sodje was a world beater after his performance at Yeovil last year, and Abbott does have goalscoring pedigree at this level. So they're inconsistent but on a good day can make a valuable contribution. That said, clearly those 'good days' have been few and far between so far this season - Abbott was good against Orient and Sodje was alright on the opening day. Would still have either of them in the team ahead of Tuna.

I don't think it's really an either/or decision as to who is 3rd choice. They're both different strikers and it would depend on the context of the game when a change was required.
  • Options
    I think Sodje would be more likely to miss than Abbot but be more likely to get the chance in the first place. I think the second observation outranks the first.
  • Options
    I'd play both before Benson who as we know "will amount to NOTHING".

Oh, hang on, I forgot Benson is good now even though he was rubbish a few weeks back.

But it seems we need to have a player to moan about even when we are winning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]But it seems we need to have a player to moan about even when we are winning.

who is moaning. I think Muttley's was a valid question.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]But it seems we need to have a player to moan about even when we are winning.

who is moaning. I think Muttley's was a valid question.

It was a valid question. It was some of the responses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, I don't mean to get on Abbott's back - just seems to me he is Parky's 3rd choice when I think he should be 4th. He can of course do as Benson did and play his way up the order and I'm not trying to get on his back. just think this is quite an important thing for Parky to get right and from what I have seen Sodje should be more prominent in Parky's plans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Both Sodje and Abbott will have a part to play this season. I think they both have something to offer in League 1, even if they are both awkward players who are difficult to watch at times. Everyone said Sodje was a world beater after his performance at Yeovil last year, and Abbott does have goalscoring pedigree at this level. So they're inconsistent but on a good day can make a valuable contribution. That said, clearly those 'good days' have been few and far between so far this season - Abbott was good against Orient and Sodje was alright on the opening day. Would still have either of them in the team ahead of Tuna.

I don't think it's really an either/or decision as to who is 3rd choice. They're both different strikers and it would depend on the context of the game when a change was required.

Spot on. Different strikers and who plays will depend on who partnering them, the opposition etc.

Personally I prefer Sodje. He's did well v Bournemouth and Orient this season already but Abbott has a lot of experience which will come in handy.
  • Options
    Akpo would be my choice. Not that i particularly rate him, i just can't see any positives in Abbott. They way PP was banging on about him in the summer you'd have been forgiven to think we'd just got a new "super-clive". I realise we're not in a position to be picky at present but IMHO he's a back-up at best. League 2 is more his level.
  • Options
    Abbot has had some poor games and some good games.

He's also scored three goals. Not great but not shabby either. Reviews early on were very good.

Thing is he was never very mobile but he can be a very good hold up player and can finish.

If he was paired with Anyinsah rather than Benson I think we'd see the best of him but right now Benson and Smokin' Joe deserve to be the two up top.
  • Options
    Abbot in replacement for Benson, Martin in replacement for Anyinsah. Sodje to chuck on and throw his weight around in games where we're chasing a goal.

Benson and Abbot hasn't really clicked as a pair yet, whereas Abbott and Martin have looked on each other's wave length(ish) in a couple of games.

Horses for courses innit.
  • Options
    We play 4-4-2, we can have 7 subs, so there's room for both on the bench.

Wouldn't play Benson and Abbott together again unless we have no other decent options.

As I said the other day, and Henry has said the same, Abbott would surely look better alongside Anyinsah.

Sodje isn't great to watch but on form he causes problems and we create chances. Agree with Muttley that while he's not a great finisher, he's more likely to get on the end of a chance than Abbott. Saying that his goalscoring record is pretty good for someone who rarely gets a run in our side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We play 4-4-2, we can have 7 subs, so there's room for both on the bench.

Except for the paint-pot against Southend where we played 4-3-3. Dare we suggest that PP is finally looking for a plan B?
  • Options
    I would hope he is looking for a plan B as the JPT is an ideal opportunity to try a few theories out. Just think he hasn't explored permutations with Sodje enough. We know (or at least should know from the clear evidence) that Abbott and Benson is a no no - Anyinsah and Abbott is worth a look and so is Benson and Sodje for when Anyinsah is injured. I would also really like a look at Sodje and Anyinsah because for less than the 20 minutes they played together against Notts County they looked unplayable and transformed us!
  • Options
    The trouble with Sodje is he can't stay fully fit for more than 5 minutes. When he's on his game he's real handful, but he so often seems to be carrying a knock that I'm not sure he's completely viable as a first choice starter.
  • Options
    Drogba
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm talking about being ahead of Abbott - not first choice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Abbot has had some poor games and some good games.

He's also scored three goals. Not great but not shabby either. Reviews early on were very good.

Thing is he was never very mobile but he can be a very good hold up player and can finish.

If he was paired with Anyinsah rather than Benson I think we'd see the best of him but right now Benson and Smokin' Joe deserve to be the two up top.

Basically what Henry said.

I'm inclined to think Parky has already paired every conceivable combination in training games, so has a fair idea who works best with another.

IMO Akpo's biggest weakness (no Large, not just in front of goal) ........is his lack of hold up play. All the other strikers are reasonably capable of bringing the ball down and laying it off - but whenever I've seen Akpo in that target man role, the ball never sticks and comes straight back putting our defence under pressure.

Now Akpo alongside a hold up player I've no problem with ....he's capable enough, even in front of goal as his career stats show.

Akpo's hardworking, a great battering ram and he's brave.
    Abbot, while lacking mobility and evidently in desperate need of a goal, is a decent combination of target man and striker.
    Joe has great strength, decent touch, good running .....but above all gives us the pace and mobility to work the channels.
    Benson can do a bit of most things, but basically just predatory.

While it's one thing to highlight players' weaknesses, remember they also have their strengths.
  • Options
    Can't argue with your assessment - the question for me is, what strengths are most effective at this level. I think there is a lot to commend the battering ram approach as League 1 defenders don't like it up em Mr Mainwairing. Not subtle but true.
  • Options
    I still think Akpo will come good, but very little that I've seen substantiates that view.
  • Options
    I don't think he can improve his first touch but as others have pointed out - his goal ratio isn't bad. When he chased everything at Notts County I thought - this is using the player to the max and expected Parky to take something from this. Injuries may be a reason but you can't go buy training alone - I don't think Anyinsah or Sodje can play in training as they do in a match whilst the hold up play is more evident and easier - so Parky is missing something if he bases his selection on what he sees on the training pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I still think Akpo is crap and a lot of what I've seen substantiates that view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I still think Akpo is crap and a lot of what I've seen substantiates that view.

Of course he's crap,he is unable to hold down a starting place in a thrid division team, but he's our crap!!
  • Options
    Akpo's a local lad, remember.

So should be starting.

;o)