Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 96th Best supported club in Europe

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
This are interesting statistics although not without errors (we are shown as 3rd division for the 08/09 season).

I didn't realise that there would be so many German teams in the Top 20. It does however back up what I was saying during the World Cup; that France is not a proper football nation like England, Spain, Germany, and Italy.

If we were still in Div One, or even Div 2, we'd be about 52nd.

Also, Sheff Utd have higher attendances than Sheff Wed: I remember a Sheff Wed fan arguing otherwise last week.

Edit to add link! Average European attendances

Comments

• Options
    We're bigger than Villareal?
  • Options
    3 places behind Juventus, not bad.
  • Options
    Very old stats though, as we're probably averaging something closer to 14k. What would be interesting would be to see those as a percentage of total capacity - might learn a thing or two then. Sorry, its tht statistician in me coming out.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I didn't realise that there would be so many German teams in the Top 20

Maybe why!
    Ticket prices & more interesting stuff!
  • Options
    and parky is the second best manager in england. who wouldn't want to buy us?
  • Options
    Bear in mind that of the impressive stadium capacities in Germany, nearly a good quarter are standing. I'm sure that with about 8 rows of standing
    facilities all around the grounds, the risk of tragedies like Hillsborough could never occur. And that would lead to less maintenance, cheaper prices,
    more singing and higher attendances.
    Been attending football for about 60 years now - a shame no one ever listens to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I didn't realise that there would be so many German teams in the Top 20

Maybe why!

Yes that's a great article, and some good comments below it. I'm just a bit worried that they have started to allow Sky to mess around with the fixtures, spread out across Friday - Sunday. Previously it had been nearly all Saturday afternoon, and their Match of the Day at around 7.00, enabling you to go to the pub afterwards.

So many times recently I've wished I was a German fan, and a few years ago I'd never dream I'd say that. Too bad my nearest team is Nurnberg and not Schalke or St Pauli.
  • Options
    very impressive for a 3rd division side :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]and parky is the second best manager in england. who wouldn't want to buy us?

I assume no. 1 is Ian Holloway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]

Maybe why!

Thanks for that. Good article.

The top two in France at the moment are Brest and Rennes. Rennes are playing at home to Brest next Saturady. I now live just a 2 hour drive from Rennes. I'm tempted to go but I probably won't because:

1. L1 is the lowest scoring league in Europe and the matches are almost always dull

2. The kick-off is 7pm on a Saturday.

Nantes (my nearest team) kick off on Friday nights (when I play football). If they were fan orientated then I'm sure these kick-off times would be different. They are like this for TV.

I went to see my local team play a few weeks ago (La Roche sur Yon). This is in fact the club I play for (at veterans level). They play in the equivalent of the conference (were once in Div 2 / 3) and there were about 150 people there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]
    Been attending football for about 60 years now - a shame no one ever listens to me.

Aah, you and me both adrian.
    Shall we start a clique? ;-)
  • Options
    Adrian...I'm listening to you and you're right. In fact, terraces could be even bigger and still be safe.
  • Options
    I'd quite happily watch Dortmund for 12 euros on the terraces..... but there's a very big rumbling in Borrusia as they've just started to charge 20 plus euros for standing at top matches.
  • Options
    I thought the bit about the academies was interesting!
    15% of the players in germany under 23!
  • Options
    I saw this chart the other week, i'm pretty sure the stats were taken when we were in the premiership?
  • Options
    Where are Palace & Millwall?