Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jay Bothroyd picked for England

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Premiership is over.

What the f@ck is going on in this country?

Comments

• Options
    Bothroyd and Davies upfront - Europe must be quaking in their boots!!!

I reckon Benson must be on the standby list
  • Options
    Shocking. Shows how good our strikers were back then to keep him out...........
  • Options
    This will happen more and more with fewer and fewer English players in the Premiership. Anyone care to name an English right back who is a fixture in the side and hasn't quit the International stage because I'm struggling to think of any.
  • Options
    No way! That is schoking.
  • Options
    Well our forwards are all injured and we have no depth, its the way football is going in this country, in a few years time the england squad will be a mix of prem and second tier
  • Options
    Good luck to the bloke. he's played well and got picked. he didnt force Cappello to pick him.
    The bigger question should be why are we playing a friendly 5 months before the next qualification game. The people at teh F.A fuck up everything they touch.
  • Options
    Hmm... aparently not good enough for us, but then again he was young.
  • Options
    Calm down.... we're only playing France FFS!!!
  • Options
    Would rather have seen Delfouneso have a go for exactly the same reason I wanted Carroll over Davies in the last game... step backwards and a sad indictment on our declining league system
  • Options
    I'm worried as an england fan. If this bloke is anywhere near the team, even if it is a friendly and they are down to their 5th/6th/7th whatever level striker, it doesn't say much for the competition. He's having his first 'decent' spell for a long time and that justifies a call up!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good player. Not sure he has the class for that level, but he's played in three leagues, good physical presence and pace.
  • Options
    did carroll get picked
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]did carroll get picked

Yea, in a line-up!
  • Options
    Yes NLA

Carroll, Henderson, Bothroyd, Smalling newbies
  • Options
    Good luck to Bothroyd.

If he's considered over other English strikers in the Prem, that's hardly his own fault.
    Anyway, it's his own rich vein of form that has attracted Capello's attention.

And it's not that he lacks pedigree....... he was a very highly rated young player at Arsenal, played Serie A in Italy for a season, played Premier League for Coventry, Blackburn and Charlton. And he's been capped for England U-21.

Anyway, he's in a large England squad for a meaningless friendly.
    He's got to impress Capello for real now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Smalling

He was on Charlton's books as a teenager, right?
  • Options
    Don't quote me on this Oggy but I believe we had him in for a trial and he buzzed off to Middlesborough instead. Don't think we "had him" so to speak.
  • Options
    By the way I've just seen he's left out Kevin Davies, now I'm not exactly shouting from the rooftops for Davies' inclusion but he didn't do anything wrong last time and Capello watched him score two goals last weekend! wtf?
  • Options
    bothroyd in england squad? bizarre. there really isn't much back-up when the main england strikers get injured
  • Options
    I saw the highlights of the Cardiff game tonight and JB was superb. If he's been playing like that regularly, he fully deserves it. Well done to him. I'm surprised at how many people on here are moaning about it, you sound like fans of the "big four" when Powell was first picked for England. The Premiership is not the be all and end all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fuck me talk about over reaction.
  • Options
    Had the talent, had the physicality I just can't believe he got over his bizzare positional sense.

Supremely talented player, pleased he seems to have cracked it after he almost threw it away so many times.
  • Options
    I'll dust me boots off and stand by my phone................Seriously, not gonna slag him off or his selection as i'll admit to not really seeing much of him over the last couple of years. Just hope it doesn't go to his head and turn him into another billy big bollox who thinks he's now too good for his team and instructs his agent to find him a "big" club.
  • Options
    But where the bell is Scott parker? His omission confirms cappello is clueless
  • Options
    strange squad if you ask me:

Bothroyd- fair enough, has been brilliant and deserves a chance.
    Henderson- has been in good form, deserves a chance aswell.
    Agbonlahor- how many games has he played this season? half fit and sure he was taken off yesterday with an injury.
    Parker omission- expected but has Capello seen West Ham this season, Parker has carried them
    Jarvis omission- excellent for Wolves, worth a chance surely.
    Kev Davies- not his biggest fan but did ok in the last game for England and has been in fine form for Bolton.
  • Options
    Not sure of his first name but JONES at Blackburn has played really well all last season and this season. Big and strong and young. Yet Chris Smalling at United who has hardly made any impact whatsoever is in the squad. Nothing changes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: heavenSE7[/cite]Not sure of his first name but JONES at Blackburn has played really well all last season and this season. Big and strong and young. Yet Chris Smalling at United who has hardly made any impact whatsoever is in the squad. Nothing changes.

Phil Jones, has been excellent since breaking in last season. Can play CB or in the holding role. Comparisons with a young John Terry in terms of his form/ability.

See Carlton Cole has been called up aswell due to injury doubts over Carroll and Agbonlahor. Crikey, this has to be the worst set of England strikers ever in one squad.
  • Options
    Proud for Bothroyd, really liked him when he was at Charlton and I couldn't believe it when that idiot Dowie got rid of him, would have liked to have seen him played upfront with Darren Bent more when they were here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: heavenSE7[/cite]Not sure of his first name but JONES at Blackburn has played really well all last season and this season. Big and strong and young. Yet Chris Smalling at United who has hardly made any impact whatsoever is in the squad. Nothing changes.

International managers scout 'Sky 4' reserve teams, rather than the rest of the Prem. FACT!

;o)
  • Options
    no Davies, no goal Cole is brought into the fold as cover for Carrol and Boothroyd. Betty would be a better choice than Jay. Capello is useless, bring back McClaren