Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hamstring injuries

Pulled my Hamstring playing this morning, first time I've ever done it at the age of 36...broke into a sprint and then felt like I'd been stabbed in the leg !

Very painful indeed, anyone got any good tips on what to do to aid the healing process ?

Comments

• ice, ice and more ice to start with........compression bandage will help too.
    Give it a couple of days of this then some gentle stretching.
    Then use a tennis ball to massage the area, followed by some more stretching.
    Then strengthen it up.
    Quads to Hams ratio needs to stay at around 60:40, keep on working the hamstrings strength as it easily reduces after injury.

Failing this see a physio.
  • http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/hamstring.htm
  • edited November 2010
    Use Cold Therapy (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) technique....first 48 hours
    see a sports Injury therapist to see the extent of the injury.. ASAP.
    Sounds like you will be out till at least the new year, or risk another bigger 'tear' ......
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/hamstrings/hamstringstrain.htm

I am NOT medically qualified, get some medical opinion asap.

good luck.
  • Sorry mate but it's nature's way of telling you to hang the boots up and take up golf.
  • edited November 2010
    Get some of those blue ice bandages from the pound shop.
  • anyone know a good physio in the Welling / Bexleyheath area !

Qatar and Ken, cheers, was told this morning ice ice and ice !....not sure the 3 hour drive I've got in the morning is gonna help !

Fortune....my first thought !

Don't think I'll play again this year given how it feels at the moment!
  • 6 weeks is your safe bet on getting back to full fitness (depends on severity of tear).
    Is there bruising down back of thigh?
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Pulled my Hamstring playing this morning, first time I've ever done it at the age of 36...broke into a sprint and then felt like I'd been stabbed in the leg !

Very painful indeed, anyone got any good tips on what to do to aid the healing process ?

Done it a few times, my ligaments and muscles are terrible! Long saunas definately help sooth it
  • Ive just done it for the first time two exept im 23. Not massivly but feels like ive got a dead leg & its really stiff. Just having a good few weeks not playing & hoping its something that wont keep causing me probs in the future
  • I did 1 at the age of 38, huge bruise from my arse to knee.
    Too old and not fit, that is what did for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tore mine in my left leg on an almost waterlogged pitch in my twenties.

Now 56 and still can't start running without feeling a twinge. I have a lot of knotted tissue at the back of my thigh.

Get it treated as soon as possible.
  • Tore my Hamstring playing for Charltonlife. Took Eight weeks to get back playing & that was with weekly visits to the Physio.

Cannot recommend seeing a Physio highly enough, depending on how bad it is will ultimately determine how quickly you return playing.
  • well the following morning and it's extremely painful, looking very stupid hobbling over London bridge !

Physio it's gonna have to be I think !
  • There's all kinds of varieties of hamstring strains. Could keep you out anything from 2 weeks for a minor tweak to several months for a big bad tear. The therapy suggested is the way forward. I'd also wait until you feel ok and then give it another couple of weeks on top of that before doing any running. Definitely do some resistance training on it when you're functional again.

Extra couple of minutes warming up makes all the difference (as I found out to my cost).
  • Done both of mine about five times each.

Get to a physio so that he can assess you. He will then probably need to break down the scar tissue (knot) and this will be extremely painful but necessary. If you leave it, the scar tissue will knot even tighter and be even more painful to break down. He will also check your back as this MAY be the cause of your problem and if need be, might do a bit of clicking of your spine and hips. Don't delay....book yourself in this week.

Do the ice.....but no heat!

You will then need to get into a routine of gentle stretches...even when you have recovered. Physio will give you a list of these but the one that works for me is...standing, feet wide apart, hang your head down and gently sweep your hands from one foot to the other. This will stretch all of your hamstring bands in turn (you've got at least three). Do NOT bounce up and down.

Good luck mate.
  • PS: If it was that painful, sounds like you've torn it.
  • funny you mention back as I suffer with a fair bit of lower back pain when the ground is hard
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]well the following morning and it's extremely painful, looking very stupid hobbling over London bridge !

Physio it's gonna have to be I think !

Excellent physios at Blackheath Hospital in Blackheath Village
  • There was a section on hamstrings in the rugby league player Paul Sculthorpes autobiography,a lad they used to visit and hed have them back in a much reduced time scale.It involved stretching and running on it Ill see if I can dig the the book out to get the details.