Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs to return to West Ham

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I've just browsed a couple of their internet forums and it appears that Avram is vulnerable and some are saying that Curbs may return.

Comments

• Options
    cant see but who lnows in football its a funny old game
  • Options
    Cant see it myself.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, he's gonna come back here as Parky's assistant..
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if he ever gets a job in the premier league now. He's been out of it for so long now.
  • Options
    Too "boring" for West Ham. Even if it means they're comfortable and not fighting relegation.
  • Options
    Hope not. West Ham have avoided the drop for far too long now.
  • Options
    My words at the beginning of the season were that Roy Keane would be sacked and Curbs would be at Ipswich by crimbo... still stand by that
  • Options
    Maybe for the first time, I am asking the question, was it a mistake for Curbs to leave Charlton... from CURBS' perspective..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Maybe for the first time, I am asking the question, was it a mistake for Curbs to leave Charlton... from CURBS' perspective..

Absolutely. There is no doubt about that . The only good thing in Curbs favour is the pay off he got from West Ham apart from that he's career has hit a brick wall.
  • Options
    Its a real shame, and I think he doesnt want to go back to the building stage, where you build a team up and get them promoted etc..

I think he thinks he maybe deserved more credit for the work he did at Charlton.. He used to always compare himslef to Wenger and Ferguson, as In stadium development whilst he built the team..

We will never know what he would have done with the 10 million we gave to Dowie..

Overall .. cock up on everyones behalf..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More chance of Wilkins taking over than curbs.
  • Options
    Since Curbs basically resigned and then sued for constructive dismissal, and won, I doubt that he is a candidate to return to West Ham. Even with new owners.

It was time for Curbs to leave Charlton when he did. It had gotten stale and reached the end of its course, so long as Curbs wanted to leave with his legacy in tact.
    The only thing that possibly could have worked out for him staying was being given the amount of money that was handed to Dowie to rebuild a squad that he left wanting.
    Had Curbs known that he had those funds available to him, he might have stayed and rejueventated the team and himself.
    Maybe.
    But I still think it was time for both sides to move on.
    Hasn't really worked out too well for either side, though, has it?

Had Curbs not sued West Ham, and won, he would have received other offers.
    He's certainly comfortable enough that he doesn't need to take another job. But he is also young enough that he wants a new challenge. He can be picky, but the longer he stays of the game, the harder it may become to get a position that he really wants.
  • Options
    If Sullivan/Gold think that Curbs is the man to keep them up then they will appoint him, they will feel - quite rightly - that the legal challenge is nothing to do with them because it happened under the former owners.

At Brum none of the managers have ever complained about Sullivan/Gold doing what the Icelanders did to Curbs - so there are plenty of worse people he could work for.

Would the fans accept him? Who cares? They are not going to get Warnock so who else is out there with a proven record of PL success? AC has had nine seasons in the Premiership with Charlton/Wet Spam and had just one relegation (with us in 1998/99).

There are far worse options than that for them to take, relegation for Wet Spam with their current squad would be a catastrophe.
  • Options
    With respect AA every point you make, apart from it not working out for us, is pure speculation bordering on fantasy.
    I dont know why you repeat them all (yet again) as if they were facts.
    I really dont wish to re hash all this yet again but remember the nature of the PL is that survival requires stale football for teams outside the top 6 or so.
    Remember also how much healthier Curbs has looked since leaving management and his stated regret at not spending time with his family.

He has the money, he is not a greedy man, have you considered he might be happy out of the disloyal, dishonest. morally bankrupt obscene pantomime of the PL?
  • Options
    Bloody hope so, I've got £50 on it (friendly bet with a mate before people ask for odds)

Sullivan and Gold love him, and now the perfect opportunity for him to come in and save the day.
  • Options
    Wasn't deemed good enough by yer actual 'appy 'ammers. Wasn't exciting enough for the knees up muvva brann brigade, strange though because they finished a lot higher under Curbs than the much lauded Zola and certainly higher than Grant will ever get them. But as they are such a mighty club they really should have a big name manager who gets them into the Champions League every year, that is after all their right as they did win the world cup too doncha know?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]More chance of Wilkins taking over than curbs.

Sullivan / Gold are long time admirers of Curbs, and tried to get him to Birmingham a couple of times, so i really wouldn't rule it out.

Personally i think whoever said Ipswich is on the money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Wasn't deemed good enough by yer actual 'appy 'ammers. Wasn't exciting enough for the knees up muvva brann brigade, strange though because they finished a lot higher under Curbs than the much lauded Zola and certainly higher than Grant will ever get them. But as they are such a mighty club they really should have a big name manager who gets them into the Champions League every year, that is after all their right as they did win the world cup too doncha know?!

Curbs would find it much tougher without Tevez at his disposal. They really are so dependant on Parker ATM, God help them if he gets injured or suspended, he's almost back to level he was at when he left us.
  • Options
    Curbs to return to West Ham ? ........if he had any sense, he'd do better to buy himself another ticket to see his sister in New Zealand.

He'd be on a hiding to nothing at West Ham. The fans their have no respect for him, despite what he achieved.
    They hated him for his sterile survival football.

Not the West Ham way, they said.
  • Options
    Can't see Curbs going there but I know who would be a hilarious appointment and has strong West Ham links.......

DOWIE!

You know he would apply for the job, talk a good talk and the owners would not be the first to fall for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dowie or Pardew. Either would be fantastic for them.
  • Options
    Praps
  • Options
    There are far worse options than that for them to take, relegation for Wet Spam with their current squad would be a catastrophe. --From OrmistonAddick

Lets hope so ,I wish them nothing but disaster after the cheating b******s got away with the Tevez affair.
  • Options
    I seem to remember that the £10M that Dowie got to spend included the budget for the following year - given because the upheaval of losing Curbs was going to make it particularly hard to stay up - as we found out. So had Curbs stayed he wouldn't have got the £10M.

Agree with what people are saying about west ham fans being unappreciative. would love to see them relegated they might even go the same way as us with all those players on massive money.
  • Options
    West Ham's fans definitely don't deserve Curbishley after the flak they gave him for saving them from relegation, finishing 10th and sitting 4th when the rug was pulled from under him.

We deserve him marginally more although a very vocal minority failed to appreciate what he did for us. "Boring mid table Premiership football" etc, etc.

If he really wants work (and I mean really) he will get it. He is too good not to. As things stand Villa is probably the one job he actually wanted but didn't get of those that have become available.
  • Options
    I thought I would try and put West Ham's current plight in perspective, by seeing where Charlton were, when Dowie was sacked.

Currently, West Ham have played 13, are bottom, five points from "safety" and have won only one game.

At the time of Dowie's sacking, Charlton had played 12, were bottom, one point from "safety" and had won only two games.

So, we were in a slightly better position than they are now, when we ditched Dowie...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]West Ham's fans definitely don't deserve Curbishley after the flak they gave him for saving them from relegation, finishing 10th and sitting 4th when the rug was pulled from under him.

We deserve him marginally more although a very vocal minority failed to appreciate what he did for us. "Boring mid table Premiership football" etc, etc.

I thought he'd come to the end when he left/was pushed.
    I thought that he'd go at the end of that season anyway as he seemed to be looking outwards, if he really wanted to stay he'd have negotiated his contract before that fateful day.
    However it's unlikely we'll see anyone as good as him in charge again and I agree that the loudmouths didn't help. FFS PL mediocrity wasn't that bad.
  • Options
    I love the way you can all say who's the right manager for another team but cant even decide what one would be good for Charlton. I get that curbs done good stuff here and was loved by many. That dont make him the best man for every managers job that comes up. Yeah yeah yeah the position west ham were in was ok but look at the bloody team he had. Also he didn't think Mascherano was good enough for west ham but Liverpool certainly thought he was (remind you of anyone)? If west ham fans dont like him or think he's good enough then that is their choice. It would be like them telling Charlton fans that Pardew would be best for them. The reason i mentioned Wilkins was because there have been a couple of good roumours going about and he was having dinner this weekend not a million miles from Sullivans house.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I love the way you can all say who's the right manager for another team but cant even decide what one would be good for Charlton. I get that curbs done good stuff here and was loved by many. That dont make him the best man for every managers job that comes up. Yeah yeah yeah the position west ham were in was ok but look at the bloody team he had. Also he didn't think Mascherano was good enough for west ham but Liverpool certainly thought he was (remind you of anyone)? If west ham fans dont like him or think he's good enough then that is their choice. It would be like them telling Charlton fans that Pardew would be best for them. The reason i mentioned Wilkins was because there have been a couple of good roumours going about and he was having dinner this weekend not a million miles from Sullivans house.

I don't remember Pardew playing Mascherano either. And didn't he leave for Liverpool almost as Curbs joined?