Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnet - Just turn up and we will win?

The trouble with a good run is that I fear it will end any moment. It would be nice to win comfortably against Barnet, but I am sure they will fight hard to keep us out. We also be without a few of our key players, it would seem.

Is there any way Barnet could make life difficult for us? Or, am I just being a worrier?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]The trouble with a good run is that I fear it will end any moment. It would be nice to win comfortably against Barnet, but I am sure they will fight hard to keep us out. We also be without a few of our key players, it would seem.

Is there any way Barnet could make life difficult for us? Or, am I just being a worrier?

They have already held us to a draw so they must be "respected" as the pros always say.

Semedo will be banned, Martin can't play, Anyinsah could be injured and Waggy is an unknown.

Not expecting an easy win but I do expect a win.
  • Options
    Our recent good form has been away from The Valley, other than the 1-0 against Sheffield Wednesday, so no I don't think you are being a worrier and a determined Barnet side could easily frustrate us.

Hopefully though the booboys will stay away from this one and a supportive, if relatively small, crowd will get behind our weakened side and see us through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]The trouble with a good run is that I fear it will end any moment. It would be nice to win comfortably against Barnet, but I am sure they will fight hard to keep us out. We also be without a few of our key players, it would seem.

Following Charlton is never a bed of roses (understatement of the decade!!), and yes Barnet can come and make life difficult for us, but Parky needs to get the team 'up for it' and guard against complacency. However, strangely, the fact that he will have to draft in two or three squad players due to injury, suspension and no permission to play will help to ensure this doesnt happen, as these players will want to prove they are worth a starting place in the line-up for Saturday. I fully expect a win, but no doubt there will be one or two scares along the way, afterall this is Charlton!!
  • Options
    I hope we put out as strong a team as possible and win by a few goals. Not because we can win the competition but because we need to keep winning games.

A solid victory tomorrow will put us in a good position for the next 2 home games against winnable opposition and that's crucial in the run up to christmas. Other teams are already going to start to notice us after stuffing P'boro but if we won the next 3 games we would have won 8 out of 9 and that's enough to strike fear into anyone in this division.
  • Options
    Although I agree to putting out a strong side some players may need to be rested. eg not worth risking Joe, Waggy or even Robbie if they are not 100%. Also happy if we the same CH thing as at Southend ie play Fortune with dailly and Doc playing half each. The others may have to play anyway due a smaller squad - but this mean Reid having to play RW - has he ever played there before?
  • Options
    I suspect it will be a mixture of reserves and first teamers- parky will try to set up just strong enough to win which can be a dangerous game but undertsandable when the league is your priority.
  • Options
    I work with a couple of Barnet fans and they tell me that they are awful this year and are nailed on for relegation . Having said that they did hold us to draw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]I work with a couple of Barnet fans and they tell me that they are awful this year and are nailed on for relegation . Having said that they did hold us to draw.

and they held the mighty Gulls to a draw on Saturday too. A lack of respect will come back to bite us on the bum.
  • Options
    Likely line up, considering injuries, suspensions and probable desire to give one or two a run out:

Elliot/Worner
    Francis
    Fortune
    Dailly/Doherty
    Fry
    Reid
    McCormack
    Racon
    Jackson
    Benson
    Abbott

Should be sufficient to get us through, would be nice to see Abbott get a couple of goals. Think he is hugely lacking in confidence rather than being an absolute donkey as some have suggested.
  • Options
    Can see it being something like MrLargo's team. We'll be lacking attacking options on the bench which could be a problem. Probably can't risk Wagstaff and Anyinsah, and we don't even have youngsters to put there, Tuna & Davisson out on loan and Perkins soon to be on loan as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Although I don't like to see Charlton lose but I will not lose sleep if Barnet go through to the next round. Getting out of the third tier this term is vital to CAFC.
  • Options
    would rather put out a total reserve side and rest the likes of racon, jackson, benson etc. We've had a lot of games recently, plenty more coming thick and fast
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]would rather put out a total reserve side and rest the likes of racon, jackson, benson etc. We've had a lot of games recently, plenty more coming thick and fast

I agree to some extent but with, on paper, a winnable second round home draw the third round beckons as much as it ever will which could mean much needed unbudgeted bunce if the draw is kind.

Parky knows the league comes first so will hopefully get the selection balance right to both win this one and the upcoming home league games.
  • Options
    Think we need to keep the momentum going. Let us not forget Barnet could easily have beaten us last week so they are not to be taken lightly.

Personally I would rest Anyinsah even if he is fit and bring in the likes of McCormack, Fortune and Sodje who has barely featured recently and could do with a game.

Elliot

Francis
    Dailly
    Fortune
    Fry/Jackson- unsure what Parky will go for here tbh.

Waggy (would like to rest him but there is little alternative on the right with Martin ineligable)
    McCormack
    Racon
    Reid

Sodje
    Benson (good chance hopefully for him to get another goal, keep confidence up)
  • Options
    TBH if we were to lose this i wouldn't be too upset. We're always terrible in the cup and i would rather we just 'concentrated on the league'
  • Options
    Don't really want to lose this one but it won't be the end of the world if we do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Although I don't like to see Charlton lose but I will not lose sleep if Barnet go through to the next round. Getting out of the third tier this term is vital to CAFC.

as would be money from a money-spinning third round tie or even fourth round tie if we failed to get promoted.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i tend to judge managers and players as being better than what i can do,maybe not so much now that we are in amongst such a poor standard of football,but saturday was the first time in 3 and a half years where parky out did what i could have done myself

i'd get the win.
  • Options
    Large is right on this.

A third-round tie at home to Spurs/Chelsea/Arse/Utd/Liverpool/West Ham/Palace is a new player for Parky in the Jan window (and we'd beat Palace!)

plus Luton at home in the next round would prob. be a TV game as well and they would bring a couple of thousand to fill the Jimmy Seed so all good money
  • Options
    I am not sure if I am reassured or not after those posts. I'd settle for 1-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A Cup run can only be good. Extra revenue. Any win is a good win. Every extra competitive game helps to settle in what was a team of strangers.
  • Options
    1-0 racon to score a third goal in 3 games
  • Options
    izale mcleod is back training now hopfuly we can beat barnet and we'll have another home game in the 2nd round il say
    a 1-0 benson goal to scape through gonna be a tough
  • Options
    I saw on twitter that a couple of the academy boys were given squad numbers yesterday - Callum harriott and Freddie warren. Maybe we might see them tonight!?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I saw on twitter that a couple of the academy boys were given squad numbers yesterday - Callum harriott and Freddie warren. Maybe we might see them tonight!?
    They are in the squad, is on the OS and linked to from the official twitter.
  • Options
    Also, the referee is bound to give everything our way ! Football is a game of chance in many respects, if you played every game twice you would find a completely different result very often. Just enjoy.
  • Options
    Well, it sounded as though we just turned up.......
  • Options
    ................................................just............................................
  • Options
    job done!

roll on Luton or Corby and then hopefully United or Palarse...