Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnet FA Cup First Round Replay - Pre-match Views, News and Poll.

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
Another midweek game but this time a self-inflicted one after failing to finish off the very north North Londoners in the first game.

Relative positions, four straight league wins plus another JPT victory mean that the Addicks must go into this game as firm favourites. Having said that we all know just how poor our cup record is so few Charlton fans will taking this one for granted.

The lowly opposition and closure of large parts of the ground could mean a strange atmosphere at the Valley but the turnout will be an indicator of our hard core support. Personally I think the walk-up will pleasantly surprise a few people.

The late booking for Semedo at Peterborough, which many feel was calculated and premeditated, means that the most popular Millwall hater in the side sits this one out. McCormack would seem the obvious replacement but Jackson could move inside as he did late on at London Road to allow Reid to play wide left.

Wagstaff's fitness could be the deciding factor when picking the midfield. If he is also out then we have no obvious replacement, other than switching Reid, available with Martin refused permission to play and Solly still out injured. Macca could slot in as he did v Peterborough but he does not seem a natural winger.

One solution to the right midfield problem would be to shuffle the ever improving back four. Jon Fortune playing CH would allow Dailly to slide across to full back and give Parkinson the option to push Francis into midfield in front of him.

Upfront the Balsa wood Anyinsah seems unlikely to be risked even if he has recovered from his groin strain so it seems to be a choice of Benson and A N Other. Neither Sodje or Abbott have large constituencies of supporters clamouring for their return but both have contributed goals in their limited appearers. Pavel in particular has saved his goals for the cups and may be picked ahead of seemingly out of favour Akpo.

Barnet have yet to win away this season but did take only their second away point at promotion chasing Torquay on Saturday so may still prove stubborn foes.

My prediction is that the growing confidence and inclusion of a few players fighting to regain a regular league place will be enough to prevent a "typical" Charlton cup defeat but not a repeat of Saturday's fireworks.

Charlton to take it 2 - 0 Reid and Abbott.

Comments

• Options
    A jammy 3-2 win
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    a game too far for the part-timers.

casual home win
  • Options
    Elliot
    Francis Doherty Fortune Fry
    Racon McCormack Jackson Reid
    Abbott Sodje

Few with injuries won't be playing
  • Options
    Things are going strangely too well at the moment. Barnet win.
  • Options
    This is a game that those who come into the side will want to win, thus proving their worth to Parky. It may not be a walk-over or pretty, but I've voted for an addicks win 2-1 with Abbott/Benno taking the plaudits.
  • Options
    Good game for Reid to get back into to the swing of things.
  • Options
    home win and the first home game for years that I will be missing. I have work stuff that cannot be avoided
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Things are going strangely too well at the moment. Barnet win.

Typical Charlton fan!

I can't help thinking the same even though, on paper, we should win this.
  • Options
    Martin and Reid should play, would like to see Benson too though to keep him the goals. If so then 2-0 to us

:)
  • Options
    I think it will be a tougher game than expected. 2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    u18's Callum Harriot and Freddie Warren called up to squad
  • Options
    From the new fangled OS

Duo promoted to first-team party
    Posted on: Mon 15 Nov 2010

Gary Haines reports

Two of Charlton's highly-rated U18 side have been added to the Addicks squad which will take on Barnet in an FA Cup first-round replay on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

Winger Callum Harriott and central midfielder Freddie Warren have been promoted to the first-team party as manager Phil Parkinson bolsters his options ahead of a busy series of fixtures.

The duo both featured for the U18s in a 3-1 win against Norwich City on Saturday, with Harriott in particular catching the eye after he entered the fray at half-time.
    Article continues
    Advertisement

Charlton will take on the Bees without Lee Martin, who is unavailable under the terms of his loan deal from Ipswich Town, the suspended Jose Semedo and Joe Anyinsah, who picked up a groin injury early in the 5-1 win against Peterborough United at the weekend.

In addition, Chris Solly has been ruled out until the new year after having an ankle operation on Monday morning, while Kelly Youga (knee) is sidelined for the rest of the campaign.

"With Lee unavailable and Jose suspended against Barnet, and Joe injured, we felt we needed to add a couple of bodies to our squad," said Parkinson on Monday.

"We've got a busy schedule of games coming up which will test the squad to its limit, so we've responded by promoting Callum and Freddie, two of our academy players, to our squad."

Eighteen-year-old engine-roomer Warren, a distant relative of ex-England boss Terry Venables, has been with the club since U9 level and is noted for his passing in the centre of the pitch.

Winger Harriott, 16, has an abundance of tricks and has also been with the club since U9 level. Both players played key roles in the U18s' FA Youth Cup first-round victory against Crawley Town at Welling United's Park View Road at the start of the month.

Harriott has been given squad number 26, while Warren has been assigned number 27.

Meanwhile, although tickets are no longer being posted out for Tuesday's rematch against the Bees, supporters are still being urged to buy in advance or early on the night to avoid queues.

All seats at the 7.45pm kick-off are priced £12 adults and £5 over 60s and U21s, with the club only selling places in the lower west and east stands initially. The north stand will remain closed.

The club will be opening six windows in the north-stand ticket office selling Barnet tickets, as well as the usual seven in the west, to cater for the potential walk-up. The north windows are cash-only.

In order to keep any queues down, fans requiring tickets for other forthcoming games will be asked to return to the west-stand ticket office after the final whistle.

Tickets are on general sale and can currently be purchased online as well as on 0871 226 1905 between 9am and 5pm weekdays.

Good luck to Callum and Freddie, hope we are comfortable enough to bring them on.

Joe out but no mention of Wagstaff.
  • Options
    How about Reid to play off Benson? Would give us a bit of pace running onto Benson's flicks and passes, could collect passes from Jackson/Racon and run at Barnet and might draw defenders out a bit to come and meet him. If might be good to see if Reid can fulfill another role in the team.

Elliott

Francis
    Doherty
    Dailly
    Fry

Wagstaff
    McCormack
    Racon
    Jackson

Reid
    Benson

Or 4-3-3 using those players or if Wagstaff is injured, start with Reid on the right in a 4-4-2 and bring in Sodje up front with Benson to hopefully trouble Barnet's fairly small (in height) centre-backs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]1-0 racon to score a third goal in 3 games
  • Options
    A comfy 2-0 win for me i think.
  • Options
    we need to keep the momentum going winning games brings confidence in all areas ,so i can only see a couple of changes from parky still expect us to win comfortably ,going for 3-0 .
  • Options
    Losing a game like this tomorrow could have a very negative effect on Saturdays game with Yeovil.
  • Options
    Good to see Harriott getting promoted. Was impressed by him in the youth game against Crawley.
  • Options
    Don't cocern yourselves- gone for the Barnet win. Should be straightforward for us now.
  • Options
    You never can tell with Charlton but it's got to be a home win, surely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1- 0 for us after extra time.
  • Options
    2-1 but with some much nervier moments than is strictly necessary!
  • Options
    am friends with scotts gfs brother and he said scott has a swollen knee and dead leg so wont be playing tomoroww but should be fine for saturday.
  • Options
    Other than a few necessary replacements we should play as strong a team as possible.

Too many changes and changes for the sake of them unbalance the team.

We need a cup run for the potential revenue it could bring, and failing to take this seriously could blow up in our faces.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm all for the slim home win - save the emphatic one for yeovil!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SaySomething[/cite]I'm all for the slim home win - save the emphatic one for yeovil![/quote]

I like that idea alot.
  • Options
    BBC website team news says that Clovis Kamjo will play at centre back with Basey/Francombe or Devera as possible left back.
  • Options
    2-1 please no extra time though
  • Options
    I don't think this game should be a problem... but if Barnet do play well, can they afford to stay in the competition? They only just stayed in League Two last season, and with their current form, they don't really need extra cup matches risking player injuries etc - even if it does bring some more money in I would have thought.

They did their job taking the game to a replay and earning some more revenue, but I reckon we'll give them another thumping like we did in last year's JPT. If Elliot is back to the yellow jersey, then we'll have another clean sheet - 5-0.