Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Window

Right its now six weeks until the transfer market opens, what positions do we realistically need to fill with loans? In my opinion we should just bring in a striker on loan as Big Joe and the others seem a little injury prone. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I am with on mate on a Striker for a backup for Big Joe.
  • Options
    We do seem pretty well covered to be honest I think 4 strikers + Martin is enough . Joe will be back by mid Jan if anything, if you had asked me 3 weeks ago I would have said we were crying out for an attacking centre midfied player but I think that might be a bit harsh on Semedo and Racon at the moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Can't really see where we would strenghen the squad. If all is still going well and a bit of money became available then a cheeky bid for Charlie Austin wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    Yes lets just buy all the best players from our main rivals to ensure we go up, sounds like plan!
  • Options
    Don't think we'll see too much happening in January - unless we have to replace players.

Wouldn't mind a solid defensive midfielder coming in as cover for Jose though.
  • Options
    Only position we need to look at in my opinion is left back. If Fry goes back in January and without Youga we are short, we have seen in recent weeks that JJ is better in midfield so if we cant get Fry until May then we need someone else. Don't actually think we are to bad other than that, would maybe have said a winger that can play on either side but players like Joe and Martin can fill in there if need be.
  • Options
    Secure Martin Fortune and Fry. May then keep loan options open in case we have injuries and suspensions,although I would like to see a Jim Melrose type to give the final boost in the last few months of the season
  • Options
    Benzema
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Benzema

Bless you
  • Options
    Maybe a new right back? As Francis lacks pace and a good delivery at times. Also i find his form can be a little inconsistent at times. Think losing Richardson has weakened are RB position. Who would be available though?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the problem will be hanging on to those we want to keep rather than getting more in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I think the problem will be hanging on to those we want to keep rather than getting more in.

Doubt it Len, I mean we all think the world of our players but who do we really have that anybody will be desperate to take off us?

The back five? Nobody.

Wagstaff, too young. Jackson, no.

Front players? Benson, no.

The only two are Semedo and Racon and they are off-contract in the summer anyway, so nobody is going to pay money now when they can take them on a free in the summer.

My only worry is if Fry goes back to Wet Spam. If that happens I would love to get Borrowdale back, he was solid.
  • Options
    Reid if he stays fit. Elliot if he plays as well as the other night a few more times.

Semedo could go if the price was right to a team prepared to gamble to get promoted or stay up. Waggy might be seen as a canny investment.

Agree with you about Fry and Borrowdale.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Reid if he stays fit. Elliot if he plays as well as the other night a few more times.

Semedo could go if the price was right to a team prepared to gamble to get promoted or stay up. Waggy might be seen as a canny investment.

Reid? I doubt he could get a move to the CCC, he was available in the summer and we were the only takers, presumably not paying him a fortune either.

Elliott? I would be very surprised, still very early. Waggy is a possible IF he carries on scoring goals like he has been but people might want to see him do it next season before they pay cash for him.

Semedo, anyone bidding would have to pay a crazy amount of money to get him in January, he is the lynchpin of the team. The price would have to be over 1 million to make us even think about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Reid if he stays fit. Elliot if he plays as well as the other night a few more times.

Reid? I doubt he could get a move to the CCC, he was available in the summer and we were the only takers, presumably not paying him a fortune either.

Elliott? I would be very surprised, still very early. Waggy is a possible IF he carries on scoring goals like he has been but people might want to see him do it next season before they pay cash for him.

Semedo, anyone bidding would have to pay a crazy amount of money to get him in January, he is the lynchpin of the team. The price would have to be over 1 million to make us even think about it.

I think Reid had Championship offers but chose us as he is from the area and needed regular football which he hadn't really had for a while.

As for Semedo Richard Murray is funding it singlehandedly now so might decide to cash in if an offer materialises.
  • Options
    Hmmmmm, I suppose we might cash in on Reid if we need to, especially if JJ carries on the way he is.

Selling Semedo, even for a crazy fee, would be madness because it would cost us promotion.

Just thinking about it, a more likely departure would Pawel Abbott back up north for a nominal fee.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Hmmmmm, I suppose we might cash in on Reid if we need to, especially if JJ carries on the way he is.

Selling Semedo, even for a crazy fee, would be madness because it would cost us promotion.

Just thinking about it, a more likely departure would Pawel Abbott back up north for a nominal fee.

Like you I think selling Semedo would be madness but it isn't our money and RM might see it differently faced with a concrete offer of cash in hand when he knows the guy will probably walk away a few months down the line.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Hmmmmm, I suppose we might cash in on Reid if we need to, especially if JJ carries on the way he is.

Like you I think selling Semedo would be madness but it isn't our money and RM might see it differently faced with a concrete offer of cash in hand when he knows the guy will probably walk away a few months down the line.

I guess then that the calculation has to be how much you gain by selling Semedo - tops 1 million - against what you lose by not getting promotion to the CCC.

Murray has said that we can be financially viable in the CCC but not League One, therefore selling your best player and sabotaging promotion would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak.

I mean, we are already 30 odd million in debt, what's another million between friends????!!!! (:
  • Options
    We only have £5M debt since Richard Murray took the club over. The rest was written off or is only repayable in stages if we are in the prem
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Like you I think selling Semedo would be madness but it isn't our money and RM might see it differently faced with a concrete offer of cash in hand when he knows the guy will probably walk away a few months down the line.

I fear you could be right, Len. It would be very tempting to take 1 million or thereabouts if it was offered. Whilst promotion might be very unlikely if he ddeparted, RM is also wise enough to realise that promotion is nowhere near guaranteed if he stays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing we should be doing before January is to assess the youngsters who are knocking on the door of the first team squad. It might well be preferable to blood a youngster in some cases rather than spend the money. One of the things that we appear to have in the squad at the moment is a very good spirit, and that will be a big plus for us in the run in. Lets try to avoid loan players if at all possible.
  • Options
    I hate January, you just get some momentum going, along comes any Tom, Dick or Harry and you can see your whole season disintegrate with the loss of one key player. You know that any replacement will not be as good and voila League one for another season. So the whole of January is spent worrying about any rumours concerning players.