Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The peanut seller

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
I have many memories of the ground in the 60s through to the 80s as it then was.Who remembers the omni present peanut seller? Even then he seemed like a throwback to days of the coster monger .A brow beaten/weather beaten/down troddem fellow hawking his two very large baskets of Percy Daltons through the covered end and up and down the East Terrace ,as time wore on his gait became more stooped and bowed ...years of watching cafc let alone selling peanuts can do that for you .I think he also sold peanuts at Greenwich park ,he also suffered from warts and the "cruel wits" amongst us found some correlation with his wares.Maybe the ground on an empty dark winters night would echoes to his ghost like cry of "peanuts ,peanuts ...charlton peanuts !" ...i think they started off at sixpence a bag ....i could have posted this under "memories of the old valley " but i feel he deserves his own special thread

Comments

• Options
    I remember his Peanuts/Roasted Peanuts call.

He must have been good at it because I used to buy them.

You missed out that the South Terrace was there as well in the early days.

It was quite a walk.
  • Options
    order your pre match peanuts online at percydalton.com .....just joking
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Crusty54[/cite]I remember his Peanuts/Roasted Peanuts call.

[/quote]

Ha ha! Me too. I can still hear it now. Hardly bore any resemblance to 'roasted peanuts', he mangled the words so much, but you knew what he was selling.

Good to be reminded of him. Nice one, lolwray.
  • Options
    remember him too - loved them peanuts!
  • Options
    Great memories of the Peanut man. He was a chubby fellow and I seem to recall he always used to wear an old brown coat.
    I used to stand behind the stair wells in the North Stand with my Dad in those days. It must have been a nightmare humping those big sacks of peanuts up and down the terraces, the poor old fellow.
  • Options
    Remember him well "peanuts tanner a bag" also the roasted chestnuts on sale down Floyd road.
  • Options
    "Tanner a bag" Oh, the memories! There also used to be a bloke selling roasted chestnuts at the top of Floyd Road in the winter in those days, straight from a stand with red hot coals. Delicious they were.
  • Options
    oops, you beat me to it Pete.
  • Options
    surprised he was allowed to sell them. Must have taken ages to sweep the shells up afterwards. Far worse than a flying loo roll ;-)
  • Options
    To his, "peanuts tanner a bag", we used to shout back "how much ? "

Used to wind him up - seemed funny at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also remember the "sellers" walking round the ash perimiter with their trays - selling kiaora (sp) ?
  • Options
    Tanner a bag was expensive when as a boy I could get into the ground for 1/6.........
  • Options
    Roasted peanuts - are they good or bad for you?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    He did, of course, sell ..."Roatid peanuts. Tanner a bag"

They were fucking brilliant.

Probably cancerous though.

*Cough. Wheeze*
  • Options
    and the peanut shells were the ultimate harmless weapons to be thrown at linesman by me and my mates who were about 7 at the time, stood by the little railings by the pitch on the east stand.
  • Options
    He was an ace peanut seller that bloke.

Loved it when I heard the cry of 'Peanuts, Roasted Peanuts' approaching along the East terrace - then it was just a matter of convincing my Dad to put his hand in his pocket.
    Absolutely delicious they were too.
  • Options
    That fella did other grounds. When I first started going football with my mates in 1982/3 I saw him at Upton Park....them saw him at The Valley later in the season....who knew there was big money in peanuts!
  • Options
    An answer for you falconwood_1. Percy Dalton?
  • Options
    yes many a bag eaten just by the half way line on the east terrace
  • Options
    Also Falconwood 1 I can confirm he was often at the Old Den.

In the late 70's early 80's I used to alternate when we were away until 80/81 when our fixtures clashed ( It was the only season I ever recall this happening ) . One night game there I recall him getting stick because he had been going to Charlton when he had the choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Roasted peanuts - are they good or bad for you?

Bad
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    His name was Adam.........The Kentish Mercury did an article on him many years ago........would love to see it.
    He normaly wore a white coat (so you could spot him on the terraces easier) not a brown one as someone mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    Posted By: Solidgone
    Roasted peanuts - are they good or bad for you?
    Bad

Doesnt count if its a fear inducing DM article!
  • Options
    definitely a white coat !

i can see his bow legged gait now ...great memories ,can visualise him walking off into the misty distance,half time floodlights just on,a chill in the air,the "perfume" of burgers,cigar(particularly just after christmas)/cigarette smoke/oranges hanging in the air ,half time announcements from was it "Dick Neve"?

this may sound odd but the "smell" of the programmes hasnt changed much since then either !
  • Options
    I remember him well and his cry. Great days when I could get my uncle to dig into his pocket to buy me a bag. Way better than the hamburger trolley at the top of the East Stand.
  • Options
    That mighty East Terrace has so many memories from the packed crowds, (50's) later empty spaces,(60's/70's/80's) to the temporary scaffolding on our return. I remember running up and down and across the spaces and also paying ninepence to 'transfer' on to the terrace through a gate just down from Sam Bartram's gate. Many a bag bought from peanut seller!
  • Options
    I always used to get my dad to get me a bag. He always got to us at the top of the East terrace eventually. That van at the top of the terrace used to sell wagon wheels the size of dinner plates. well nearly that big.
  • Options
    I am sure he was polish we used to call him Polak and he did the den as well .
  • Options
    I sold peanuts in the early 60s at Charlton if you could see where the nuts came from you wouldn't eat them
  • Options
    Saw him getting turfed out of Upton Park once when I went over to watch Derek Hales play for the spammers.