Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has supporting Charlton......

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
…prepared you for what life brings?

Been daydreaming this afternoon at work and was thinking about this. I mean, being English we are pretty used to heartbreak and bitter disappointment..…penalty shoot outs spring to mind, but with Charlton you seem to experience the high and lows on a weekly, monthly, yearly basis.

Never got a call back from that job after the interview went so well?.....pah, you call that heartbreak, I was there when the ginger one sent his penalty into the covered end and blew our chances of promotion. I was there when we were getting spanked week in week out and watched our club spiral down the divisions. I was also there when super clive and sasa took us into dreamland….when benty was banging them in for fun. I’ll just keep my chin up and keep looking for that job.

Guees my point of starting this thread is do you think following Charlton…..

Prepares you for what life will bring?

Makes you a better person?

Or do you think ‘its just a game’ and you can take the rough with smooth?

Any instances where Charlton has made you feel better about yourself?

discuss......

Comments

• Options
    any last minute winners make me realise what lifes thrills are about
  • Options
    I often think supporting the "big four Sky clubs" doesn't prepare you for real life!
  • Options
    Getting so close last year has made me very optimistic for this year.
  • Options
    Supporting a club like Charlton is character building. I explained this to my godson's parents recently when I learned he had just got an Arsenal shirt. They laughed, thought I was joking. I was being deadly serious. Some people just don't understand!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    supporing Charlton Athletic has helped me become the successfull man i am today. Charlton Athletic taught me perseverance, patience, heartbreak and joy. I will never b able to support any other club than Charlton Athletic FC for my entire life.

One way Charlton made me feel better about myself was helping the club bring back the Valley stadium.
  • Options
    It is character building, but it can send you too far over the edge. We tend to be either c'est la vie types, what will be will be, or we can be more like Fraser from Dad's Army, we're doomed!

I try to be the former but sometimes lapse into the latter.

I can blame no-one but myself as I chose to support Charlton as a youngster, its the ones who have it forced on them (like my 2 kids) that I really feel sorry for.
  • Options
    Standing there singing Always Look on the Bright Side, totally ignoring Defoe scoring to send us down to the Champ - teaches you to look your tormentor in the eye and laugh.

Going away for all those years and coming back to the Valley - says there is no place like home.

And beating Sunderland at Wembley - says to me never, ever give up.
  • Options
    Supporting Charlton has aged me considerably, I dunno about preparing me for life's ups and downs. I'm 26 going on 56. I don't know if it's Charlton or her indoors to blame for my early baldness neither.
  • Options
    There is nothing greater than supporting Charlton Athletic...

We are the most HUMAN team in world football....

Up and down and that means the highs are extraordinary, and truth be told I think most of us knew the wheels would fall off... and so we revert back to the tried and tested formula of finding the right guy, the right team spirit, the right PEOPLE to rebuild... and maybe we have finally after several years found it with this bunch, and maybe we havnt ...

We will see, and thats the best bit ...

Prparing for life, maybe, certainly more than armchair supporting one of the other bunch... there is nothing like that sharp kick in the balls whne it all goes wrong and that numb, dull , ache as the losses tot up and you slowly watch you team fall through the leagues..

Our time will come again...
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Charlton Athletic is a life sentence no doubt. I am 47 years of age and have seen most things your average Joe will have seen by now, life in my children, death in my treasured loved ones, success at work, absolute dejection with work, money has come easily and then money has been hard to come by. An ordinary life made extraordinary by the people I love. Love is not too strong a word also when it comes to my football club. I may not go every week anymore but when I was sitting on my own in the East Stand the other night, looking around at 4800 other very hardy souls, I still got it and it was probably the happiest I have been in what has been a very very hard and taxing 2010. When the "Red Red Robin" played as they ran out I was instantly transported back to that seven year old boy standing next to family now long departed. Now if that was not worth £15 of my hard to come by, then nothing is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Supporting Charlton since '69 has shown me that everything in life is transient, there will be lows and there will be highs, the lows make the highs that much more enjoyable and more appreciated.
  • Options
    Grey hairs and im only early 20's. Alot of aging yet to be done i feel!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]Supporting a club like Charlton is character building. I explained this to my godson's parents recently when I learned he had just got an Arsenal shirt. They laughed, thought I was joking. I was being deadly serious. Some people just don't understand!

I have said the same thing Olly, copy this thread to the boy's parents, at least they will realise there is a point to what you were saying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite]Charlton Athletic is a life sentence no doubt. I am 47 years of age and have seen most things your average Joe will have seen by now, life in my children, death in my treasured loved ones, success at work, absolute dejection with work, money has come easily and then money has been hard to come by. An ordinary life made extraordinary by the people I love. Love is not too strong a word also when it comes to my football club. I may not go every week anymore but when I was sitting on my own in the East Stand the other night, looking around at 4800 other very hardy souls, I still got it and it was probably the happiest I have been in what has been a very very hard and taxing 2010. When the "Red Red Robin" played as they ran out I was instantly transported back to that seven year old boy standing next to family now long departed. Now if that was not worth £15 of my hard to come by, then nothing is.

Lovely post Soapy. Here's to a happier 2011 for you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite] When the "Red Red Robin" played as they ran out I was instantly transported back to that seven year old boy standing next to family now long departed. Now if that was not worth £15 of my hard to come by, then nothing is.

That's a sentiment that strikes to the very core of what it means to live a Charlton life... Should be the basis of a marketing campaign.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite]Charlton Athletic is a life sentence no doubt. I am 47 years of age and have seen most things your average Joe will have seen by now, life in my children, death in my treasured loved ones, success at work, absolute dejection with work, money has come easily and then money has been hard to come by. An ordinary life made extraordinary by the people I love. Love is not too strong a word also when it comes to my football club. I may not go every week anymore but when I was sitting on my own in the East Stand the other night, looking around at 4800 other very hardy souls, I still got it and it was probably the happiest I have been in what has been a very very hard and taxing 2010. When the "Red Red Robin" played as they ran out I was instantly transported back to that seven year old boy standing next to family now long departed. Now if that was not worth £15 of my hard to come by, then nothing is.

nice post soapy. hope that when im 47 i feel exactly the same way about charlton.
  • Options

Great post Soapy.